• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    What are people's thoughts on the Opera browser? Their website says they have a built in add blockers and VPN, which seems attractive.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Even Mozilla is talking about blocking or reporting the access of certain sites and services since the kerfuffle at the Capitol building.

I don't use Chrome on any PC's but I am using it on my phone. What's the safe(r) browser go-to on mobile devices? I'd like to de-Chrome.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Even Mozilla is talking about blocking or reporting the access of certain sites and services since the kerfuffle at the Capitol building.

I don't use Chrome on any PC's but I am using it on my phone. What's the safe(r) browser go-to on mobile devices? I'd like to de-Chrome.

I use Duck Duck Go on my phone. But, I also don't use my phone for a ton of stuff either.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    What are people's thoughts on the Opera browser? Their website says they have a built in add blockers and VPN, which seems attractive.

I use DuckDuckGo on my phone, but looking into Opera.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Great, thanks guys.

On a related note, I'm still using my Verizon issued router on my home network. I know how to secure it by locking down the MACs and limiting the number of devices but is this adequate? Do I really need to look at a 3rd party router?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Great, thanks guys.

On a related note, I'm still using my Verizon issued router on my home network. I know how to secure it by locking down the MACs and limiting the number of devices but is this adequate? Do I really need to look at a 3rd party router?

I think the choices of routers are pretty limited for Verizon.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Great, thanks guys.

Limiting MAC address and hiding your wifi network help somewhat. There are lots of tools that a serious hacker could use to bypass MAC limiting features on most home routers. While the details are way over my head, I don’t think it’s something that a home network user really has to worry about. The new Quantum routers had some serious security flaws which were discovered in 2019. If you have one of those make sure your firmware is up to date.

I think the choices of routers are pretty limited for Verizon.

You can use almost any router with verizon Fios assuming you have a Cat5 connection from the ONT (the fiber optic box outside) to your router. If only use Fios for internet, this is a simple swap and a phone call to Verizon to release and reset your IP. If you do rely on FIOS tv, you’ll need a Verizon flashed router to access the TV channel guide, PPV, widgets and maybe multi-room DVR functions. You do not have to rent from Verizon you could purchase a used ActionTec Verizon router on ebay for about $20. You do have to modify the ActionTec settings turn off just about all functions except the MoCA (data over coax) TV features, then connect it in bridge mode to your new router. This was a royal pain in the ass for me 5-6 years ago but I think there are lots of easy to follow guides now.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I don’t think Brave is so much anonymity as it’s micropayments to websites. It’s basically Chrome with add ons. Personally I’d just go with the no script, ublock-origin, and privacy badger add ons. Throw in https everywhere for added support.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    (Talking desk top windows computer)
    Am I missing something with browsers?
    Short of the actual browser tracking you and sending info directly to the commies,,, would not a VPN make you "invisible" ??
    I understand Chrome and it's google henchmen (maps, calendar, youtube, etc) will track you, but I thought a "odd ball" browser behind a VPN kept you all safe and tucked in at night ??

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I use Duck Duck Go on my phone. But, I also don't use my phone for a ton of stuff either.

I thought DDG was only a search engine and not a browser. I use DDG instead of Bing, Google etc. in an effort to keep Google and MS from tracking my searches.

I've been using Firefox on my PCs, Phones etc as a browser instead Edge and Chrome but now want to switch for the same reasons as everyone else here. Do we have a consensus yet on a browser that will run on all platforms and is secure from the likes of Google, Apple, MS, et al?

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    So what would be the best browser to use (on a windows computer) behind a VPN, If I made it a habit of searching things like "how to get away with murder",, "How to build a atom bomb", "Is Michelle Obama a man? "

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I thought DDG was only a search engine and not a browser. I use DDG instead of Bing, Google etc. in an effort to keep Google and MS from tracking my searches.

I've been using Firefox on my PCs, Phones etc as a browser instead Edge and Chrome but now want to switch for the same reasons as everyone else here. Do we have a consensus yet on a browser that will run on all platforms and is secure from the likes of Google, Apple, MS, et al?

They have a mobile browser.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    For the Linux folk here, Fedora has many alternatives:

GNU IceCat - Formerly known as GNU IceWeasel, is a free software rebranding of the Mozilla Firefox web browser distributed by the GNU Project. It is compatible with GNU/Linux, Windows, Android and macOS Some sites refuse to connect.

Ephemeral - A private-by-default web browser designed and developed specifically for elementary OS.

Falkon - It is built on the Qt WebEngine which is a wrapper for the Chromium browser core.

Qutebrowser - A web browser for Linux, Windows, and macOS operating systems with Vim-style key bindings and a minimal GUI. It is keyboard-driven.

Enjoy.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Is Firefox really a problem? You can turn off all the tracking/health/crash metrics. W/ all the plug-ins available you can block near anything. Multi-account containers are great (can put google, amazon, etc all in their own private containers so any cookies that make it through can't get to each other.) Its open source IIRC so you can see they aren't spying on you (well, you'd have to compile from source to be absolutely sure.) Mozilla makes ~95% of its revenue w/ search engine licenses. Use DDG and not Google/Yahoo and should be pretty secure and not feed them any money. I'm more worried about a less-supported browser having a security hole and compromising my whole system than Mozilla getting some tiny bit of info I didn't block.

I used to use Chrome a little but my brother (who is a bit of a security nerd) said to not use it anymore. Can't remember the exact issue but it wasn't good.

Riley26

Mar 12, 2013
    Odenton, Maryland
    AVG looks promising. I've used their security before and it worked nicely and gave straight forward screening, security, updates, checks, and maintenance optimization/disk cleaning. Kind of an all in one stop shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom