• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So I've been looking into selling/trading my 12ga pump action shotgun, if anyone wants info on the shotgun message me, and recently I got a hit. This guy contacted me about setting up a trade for one of his firearms, one of which was a 1866 springfield trapdoor, I'm waiting to here back on condition, caliber and if it's a real 1866 or a replica. I went looking on a few sites to see what it would be worth so I might be able to figure out if it was worth it and if so what kind of deal I might be able to work out. But as much as it was helpful it was also not helpful. The market seems to swing fairly wildly, I saw some as low as 150 and some as high as 4k. So I was curious if you guys might have an idea of what it might be worth assuming that it's the standard .50-70 and in fair condition.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    45-70 is standard, it may be a conversion
    Pics are definitely needed here cause it could be a converted to carbine

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So an 1866 trapdoor will likely be 50-70, and would be decently valuable. If its a conversion rifle (1863 springfield rifled musket with the Allin conversion) those were pricing about $1,000 from places like IMA, simpsons, Guns International etc. Of course the condition of the rifle dictates quite a bit of price.

I recently purchased a model 1884 May of 1889 manufacture Trapdoor in 45-70 for $740 on gunbroker. Probably paid about $100 too much, but some yahoo was driving up the price non stop. Was advertised as a pitted bore but in good mechanical condition and a nice patina. Bore is pretty pitted, but the rifle shoots about 1.5 MOA with .459 cast lead projectiles. These are tremendously fun rifles to shoot, quirky and a bit harder to clean then smokeless. But, definitely puts a smile on your face when you slam a steel plate with a 405gr or 510gr lead slug.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed the 1866 was .50-70 . F o r historical reference , this is what Wm F. " Buffalo Bill " Cody used for his Buffalo shooting endeavors of legend .

Heck , I would certainly dig into my stash for 12ga trade bait for an 1866 in sorta decent shape ( even a replica) .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indeed the 1866 was .50-70 . F o r historical reference , this is what Wm F. " Buffalo Bill " Cody used for his Buffalo shooting endeavors of legend .

Heck , I would certainly dig into my stash for 12ga trade bait for an 1866 in sorta decent shape ( even a replica) .

Me too, an unmolested Allin rifle has always been on my wish list. .50-70 can still be had from some of the obsolete cartridge loaders or you can roll your own. Neat round and nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning! I have more than a one 12 gauge I would let go for for a solid Allin.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Just wanted to update you guys, so sadly the trapdoor trade has been taken off the table, though it was worth it, the guy wanted the trade plus two hundred on top of it. Even though in reality it's worth it, to me it was not. Thank you for your guys help

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    So an 1866 trapdoor will likely be 50-70, and would be decently valuable. If its a conversion rifle (1863 springfield rifled musket with the Allin conversion) those were pricing about $1,000 from places like IMA, simpsons, Guns International etc. Of course the condition of the rifle dictates quite a bit of price.

I recently purchased a model 1884 May of 1889 manufacture Trapdoor in 45-70 for $740 on gunbroker. Probably paid about $100 too much, but some yahoo was driving up the price non stop. Was advertised as a pitted bore but in good mechanical condition and a nice patina. Bore is pretty pitted, but the rifle shoots about 1.5 MOA with .459 cast lead projectiles. These are tremendously fun rifles to shoot, quirky and a bit harder to clean then smokeless. But, definitely puts a smile on your face when you slam a steel plate with a 405gr or 510gr lead slug.

Nice! I would like to hear that whallop from one. I have two trapdoors in 45/70 and been hanging on my brick wall ever since I bought them. Like to shoot them some day as nothing wrong with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom