Anybody have experience applying wood dye to stocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I'd be curious to see how that turned out.

It is a very long rifle. It is hard to capture the whole thing with enough detail.

The dye that I used was Behlen Solar-lux NGR dye stain. It is an alcohol base dye that I found very easy to work with.

I did a layer of American walnut. Sanded it down and then did a layer of medium brown. I did not dilute it.

The last piece of scrap wood shows just a few of the color combos I tried. You can see combining colors makes a big difference. Unfortunately I don’t remember at this point which is which.

b7ecea93f4bd3175ea716cf9aa31b5d7.jpg
    aa12efc986cc07f021efa848f6c894cc.jpg
    c35cb1e20c80034400b5bf9d71dda9c0.jpg
    93922f04f25d3020899147cc295e5e1c.jpg
    fc08b4691c5aa449af6969fa3fb4f5f2.jpg
    d00cf305f005bc8e7b9e0e275346d83b.jpg
    c0527a09991d515675ee135ea5b2b856.jpg
    af5f4e2ae4ecece12cf64f642dffd0f5.jpg
    c3b15da08fc6fc481c58cc16ef254734.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs

No question if the wood is damaged and has dark areas prior to the stain the stain will not magically fix that or unremoved varnish you will get the blotchy results in your leather dye pic.
    I'm guessing your oil pics are hand rubbed BLO pics ? The M14/M1A pic is pretty but I'm guessing It's not a Home Depot Minwax oil stain but just a hand rubbed BLO finish ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    M1a is oil based but mixed with more than one color to get a nice red from Tru value. Leather dye pic is a c stock with a lot of original and new dirt in it. Some of it's probably pine tar from the sticks you get at a baseball shop.
    I use Raw linseed oil, sometimes BLo sometimes BLo with driers depends on the wood and what its for.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I always liked Chestnut ridge alcohol based military gun stock stain.

Goes on nice with cotton balls and dries up quickly, and accepts linseed/Tung oil well.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Go to the CPM site there is a a lot of information in using dyes for finishing gun stocks. My best result were using Ritt clothing dye purchases at Walmart or Joann Fabrics and pure alcohol.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I appreciate all the replies and input. Haven't been able to log on for the past couple days to take a look but noticed quiet a few shades I'd like to duplicate. Hopefully can get some workspace freed up to get moving on some stock projects. Contemplated trying my hand at adding some tiger or flame striping with a torch or heat gun on some of my spare walnut M14 stocks prior working on the finish. Different topic though and wouldn't attempt on the birch stocks unless it turns out really nice on the more common expendable ones.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I’ve just recently dyed a curly maple flintlock stock. I purchased my dyes from a woodcraft in Rockville. I found solar-lux very easy to work with.

great stuff made by Behlen Industrial finishes used to be a supplier in Rockville. You can also spray it for a more transparent look add it to clear then spray. if something is to red dust it with green this will give you a brown like walnut your in charge but be careful it doesn't take much

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    When I got my first Mauser, the stock was almost black.

I wanted a good-looking stock, and as I bought it, it was not!

Read everything I could on getting the red shellac and gunk off of/out of the stock.

After stripping the shellac and multiple cleanings, it was ready to be finished.
    (Formula 409 and Easy Off Oven Cleaner, along with "Whiting" from Brownell's got the stock in really good shape!)

No stain. No 'dye'.
    No sandpaper. Gray Scotchbrite pads only.
    Multiple hand-rubbed coats of Danish Oil.

Attachments

• byf43Mauser.jpg
      byf43Mauser.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 177

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads