Anyone familiar with Safariland holsters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a Glock 21SF w/ 1913 rail.
    I really wanted a Safariland holster with their ALS, but they only made one that fits the 21SF with Glock rail.
    Found a 6377 for ~$30+s&h, so I said what the hell, I'll get it and see what I need to do to get it to work with the 1913 rail.

The mold itself fits perfectly and the ALS also works perfectly. The part that does not work with the 1913 is a hard plastic insert that appears to put tension on the underside of the frame.

Questions: Is this part meant to rotate up under the pressure of the trigger gaurd and press against the bottom of the rail? Is it part of the SLS system?

The holster seems to function ok without it, but I'm going to make a replacement part for it that will work with my pistol.

stihl008.jpg

Red marking on tape shows where the rail hits the part:
    stihl009.jpg

stihl012.jpg

stihl006.jpg

The part is .....................^^^_________here_________^^^ as installed.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    On the Safariland holsters I have used, they come with an allen key to tighten/loosen the allen bolt on the outside of the holster for a custom fit. I can't see your pics (work filter), but would loosening that help?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Yes, you are thinking of the right thing. I can tighten or loosen the screw that hold this peice in to adjust tension.
    I have to remove the plastic spacer/ tensioning device to get the pistol in.

ETA: damned work filters. I dont get to see youtube at work, so when everyone is laughing at some idiot on youtube, I feel left out. :(

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Ok, is it a black piece of plastic that goes around the bolt? That shouldn't have to be removed. Are you sure you have the correct holster?

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Ok, is it a black piece of plastic that goes around the bolt?
    Yes, that is the peice. It is shaped for the 21SF w/Glock Rail.
    Are you sure you have the correct holster?
    I am positive that it is not the correct holster, I knew this before I bought it:
    DZ said:
    I have a Glock 21SF w/ 1913 rail.
    I really wanted a Safariland holster with their ALS, but they only made one that fits the 21SF with Glock rail.
    Found a 6377 for ~$30+s&h, so I said what the hell, I'll get it and see what I need to do to get it to work with the 1913 rail.
    Not knowing anything about Safariland holsters other than checking at a friend's 6378 once, I was hoping it was just a matter of re-molding the kydex/thermoplastic holster a little bit to clear the 1913.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    So if you remove the allen bolt completely and take off the plastice piece will the pistol fit without the bolt scratching it? I've never dealt with the ALS system, but on my drop leg holster, that bolt has no other use except for extra tension.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Yes, thats correct. The ALS works by catching the election port and is deactivated by your thumb, pushing the lever to the rear. The peice in question does not directly work with the ALS as far as I can tell.

Im not exactly sure how it functions, but I think the trigger gaurd pushes it when the pistol is inserted and causes it to cam upward, pushing on the bottom of the frame of the pistol. If this is the case, I have to create the replacement peice a little more carefully than simply filing off the top of this peice.

Testudo

That Others May Live
    Dec 17, 2009
    La Plata
    Awesome, I am tracking now :) I would wrap the bolt in HEAVY teflon or duct tape and take out the plastic piece all together. You just dont want the bare threads of the bolt exposed since it could possibly mess up the polymer frame.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    My ALS holster does not have that part, but mine is for a gun with a light mounted. My guess is that it is to help push the gun up into the ALS lock. If the ALS works well enough for you without the part, then just take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom