Out of spec Lower Parts, return bad parts or the whole thing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I'm not a gunsmith but I've probably built about 40 ARs over the last 10 years or so between my own stuff, friends, family, plus stuff at work and I've been to a number of armorers courses for ARs through work.

With the glut of AR parts and prices as good as they are I've been buying some stuff to build up a bench-stock for some current and future builds. I picked up 8 lower parts kits from a vendor, I found this LPK had a number of good reviews at gun.deals so I felt it was safe to purchase them and delivery took less than a week.

I start the install of the first LPK and the magazine catch is out of spec, after install it won't slide in and out of the receiver (an Aero), it binds. I try it in a second receiver (an Aero) and it has the same problem, I try it in a third receiver (an Anderson) and it has the same problem. I polish the phosphate finish off, do some fitting, and with some lube it works but is still sticky and I'm not happy with it so I remove it

I halt the install of LPK number 1 and pull the mag catch out of another LPK, same problem in all three receivers. I pull out a PSA LPK, install is easy and it works perfectly in all three receivers, same thing for the mag catch from an existing rifle.

I wasn't planning on installing all these LPKs now and at this point I don't trust their QC enough to ensure something else isn't out of spec and don't want to try an install a year from now and find out then that something is out of spec.......nor am I interested in pulling all 7 parts kits out and testing fitting what I can or measuring everything I can.....and even then I could miss a dimension. At this point I've already wasted enough time on troubleshooting.

I've asked the vendor I purchased the 8 LPKs from for an RMA so I can return 7 of the kits omitting the 1 I started installing where I worked on fitting the mag catch. They responded with an offer to replace all 8 mag catches and asked me to ship them some but not all of the existing mag catches. I replied that I just wanted a return of the 7 untouched kits without having to pay any restocking fee but they are refusing.

Am I being unreasonable or should that amount of individual fitting be expected at times?

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I'm not a gunsmith but I've probably built about 40 ARs over the last 10 years or so between my own stuff, friends, family, plus stuff at work and I've been to a number of armorers courses for ARs through work.

With the glut of AR parts and prices as good as they are I've been buying some stuff to build up a bench-stock for some current and future builds. I picked up 8 lower parts kits from a vendor, I found this LPK had a number of good reviews at gun.deals so I felt it was safe to purchase them and delivery took less than a week.

I start the install of the first LPK and the magazine catch is out of spec, after install it won't slide in and out of the receiver (an Aero), it binds. I try it in a second receiver (an Aero) and it has the same problem, I try it in a third receiver (an Anderson) and it has the same problem. I polish the phosphate finish off, do some fitting, and with some lube it works but is still sticky and I'm not happy with it so I remove it

I halt the install of LPK number 1 and pull the mag catch out of another LPK, same problem in all three receivers. I pull out a PSA LPK, install is easy and it works perfectly in all three receivers, same thing for the mag catch from an existing rifle.

I wasn't planning on installing all these LPKs now and at this point I don't trust their QC enough to ensure something else isn't out of spec and don't want to try an install a year from now and find out then that something is out of spec.......nor am I interested in pulling all 7 parts kits out and testing fitting what I can or measuring everything I can.....and even then I could miss a dimension. At this point I've already wasted enough time on troubleshooting.

I've asked the vendor I purchased the 8 LPKs from for an RMA so I can return 7 of the kits omitting the 1 I started installing where I worked on fitting the mag catch. They responded with an offer to replace all 8 mag catches and asked me to ship them some but not all of the existing mag catches. I replied that I just wanted a return of the 7 untouched kits without having to pay any restocking fee but they are refusing.

Am I being unreasonable or should that amount of individual fitting be expected at times?
    Who's spec are we going by
    Military's or a made up civilized spec
    If it Doesn't Have a auto sear how is it mili-spec ?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    You are not being too unreasonable, ask to upgrade, or accept new catches if they throw in a shirt or hat or ammo :) That is if you are comfortable/confident/put your life on the line with the rest of the parts??? Better kits are on sale too. Good luck. Oh, if not an IP who is the vendor/manufacturer ....

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    You are not being too unreasonable, ask to upgrade, or accept new catches if they throw in a shirt or hat or ammo :) That is if you are comfortable/confident/put your life on the line with the rest of the parts??? Better kits are on sale too. Good luck. Oh, if not an IP who is the vendor/manufacturer ....

The vendor is Karri's Guns, I was operating off the reviews here:

https://gun.deals/product/kg-ar15-semi-auto-lower-parts-kit-3699?view=list

I've already posted my bad expirence with them there in the comments section.

I wanted to talk to them voice about this situation but they don't even have a customer service phone number, they will only deal with customers via email.

After they refused for the third time to give me an RMA I called my credit card company today and disputed the charge. I didn't want to resort to that.....I've ordered uppers from them back in the day and was happy with them but their intransigence and willingness to waste my time and inconvenience me is more than troubling. I would suggest anyone think twice before dealing with them. They have a 25% restocking fee.....in fact they have a 25%r cancellation fee, even if they haven't shipped something they still apply the 25% cancellation and they also apply this same 25% fee to anything being returned for a refund.....they don't call it a restocking fee but that is essentially what it is.

I'm embarrassed to say I wasn't aware of this before I placed this order and didn't read the terms of sale closely enough. Why they would want to alienate and inconvenience customers in the current glutted market is beyond me.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Assembled a friend's AR and neither his bolt catch or trigger worked. I ground down bolt catch to fit in the lower and swapped out his trigger for a spare I had.

His was from PSA which is the first problem in many,many parts I've ever received from them.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Assembled a friend's AR and neither his bolt catch or trigger worked. I ground down bolt catch to fit in the lower and swapped out his trigger for a spare I had.

His was from PSA which is the first problem in many,many parts I've ever received from them.
    Was it a psa lower

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom