• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I did a search but didn't see much mentioned about the new gray frame Vickers Glock 17. I'm thinking about picking one up soon because I like the rough finish and different color of the frame. I don't have any experience with the full size Glocks so I'd like to hear from anyone that may have this model.

How does it shoot compared to the Gen 4 and do you feel the few Vickers upgrades are worth the extra cost? Do the sights offer any advantage over the stock sights?

Thanks

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's a Gen 3, so there's a desired Gen already of the 4.

I don't have one yet, I am thinking about it. For me, the mag release, larger slide stop and fiber optic sight is worth the $100-ish? upgrade to what is already a $500+ dollar pistol. Worth it to have those neat pieces already installed in order to keep me from doing them or finding someone to do them.

I am not a night sight type guy, so the red optic is a HUGE glowing fireball on the end of the slide for me to find and place on a target. The grey color is unique and different than plain black. I don't mind it.

I think I am getting close to making a decision on this pistol, and I am someone who can buy a plain G19 all day long for $398.00

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I'm usually not a huge Glock fan but this one has really caught my attention. The few times I've held one it seemed to fit better in my hand than the other Gen 3 or Gen 4 models I've handled. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it but losing the battle.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    I have one of the first run vickers 17, and bought one of the grey vickers 19s soon after they shipped. I think the upgrades are worth it and you're getting an rtf2 frame which can be harder to come by. If you don't like the sights the deal is a wash but after checking them out I really like the U shaped rear notch.

slowz32

Dec 3, 2014
    Mt. Airy
    I want a vickers 19 BAD, especially after playing with one at a gun show a couple weeks ago. I bought 3 pistols last month though so im trying to resist getting this. Its a tough battle

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I put my hands on one today, Its definitely a nice upgrade to a regular glock, Im not normally a glock fan but i'm considering it. I also got looked at the VP9 and the PPQ which were to 2 I was originally interested. PPQ is in the lead right now

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Me too. I'm not normally a Glock fan either, but when I do... last one I got was a FDE Gen4 G20.

Is there a Glock haters thread on this forum? Kind of a funny thing on another forum. Some here might know what I'm referring to.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Me too. I'm not normally a Glock fan either, but when I do... last one I got was a FDE Gen4 G20.

Is there a Glock haters thread on this forum? Kind of a funny thing on another forum. Some here might know what I'm referring to.
    The majority of the threads on this forum are populated by posts from Glock haters. The haters all shoot high dollar jam-o-matics. ;)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    as blaster mentioned, the upgrades are nice, but you have to decide if they are worth it. I haven't shot a Vickers 17 or 19, but a stock gen 4 glock 17 is the pistol I shoot almost exclusively. the fiber sight on the Vickers is very easy to pick up, and I imaging would speed up target acquisition over stock sights. personally, if im going to upgrade the sights on my personal glock, I would put night sights on it, but that's just me.

in comparison to a Gen 4 glock 17, the shop I fondled the Vickers ( out of state) had a price of $599.99. I don't know what they run in the local stores, but I imagine it'd be in the same ballpark. gen 4 you can find for $530 or so (I don't get that fancy deal blaster does). the sights alone from meprolight would run you about that difference. the slide stop and the mag release (extended) would run you another 30 or so bucks. if you plan on upgrading your sights on your glock, the Vickers is a good value, because you also get the slide stop and mag release, which are an improvement imo.

but honestly the grip is the best part of the Vickers guns. plain and simple. come out with a Gen 5 glock that is identical to the gen 4 except you have the Vickers grip, I am buying one day 1 to replace my current 17.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Inside its a standard factory issue Glock right? It doesn't have any smoothing work or what not done to it?

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I handled the Vickers 17 again this week and compared it against the gen 4 side by side. I actually think I liked the gen 4 a little more. The palm swell on the gen 4 felt slightly smaller in my hand. It may have just been the different textures causing it to feel different but the gen 4 felt a little better in my hand.

I then compared both 17's to the XD Mod 2 and I think I may like that gun a little more. The Mod 2 just felt more natural in my hand.

I love when I go to a store with the intent of buying a specific gun and come back with a completely different idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom