Fishing Deep Creek Lake - Lures/Techniques?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Any lure/technique suggestions for fishing Deep Creek?

Won't be ice fishing, mainly spring/summer/fall.

Thanks!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Boat or dock/shore?

I used to fish there a lot as a kid. We always used night crawler worms and panther martin spinners.

Pay attention to water temperature if you're fishing from a boat. And if you've got a boat, go to the dam.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Deep Creek was always tough for me. Had the best luck throwing senkos under docks near deep water. Had some luck in the fall cranking points and ledges.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Boat or dock/shore?

I used to fish there a lot as a kid. We always used night crawler worms and panther martin spinners.

Pay attention to water temperature if you're fishing from a boat. And if you've got a boat, go to the dam.
    Damn. Forgot to include. Will be from dock, boat or kayak.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Definitely go to the dam. It's tough fishing from the shore/dock there. And with so many power boats, it can be a pain/annoying to fish from a dock or kayak. You can have some success around the dock's structure, but if you can get to the dam, go there. The fish hang out there since nutrients are deposited in that area.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Lots of submerged stumps around the dam as well. Use your sonar and drop a jig or drop shot when you find them.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Does deep creek freeze over every year? I am from MI and would love to do some ice fishing this year.

Yes. Ice fishing is popular with the locals.

During the warmer months, fish when the lake is calm. Weekends at crack of dawn and dark. Minnows for small mouth; worms for yellow perch

http://www.fishdeepcreek.com/strategies.htm

I never really got into fishing at Deep Creek over the 20 years we had a house there. Enjoy!

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    One year we had to cut the ice for the Dunk with a 36" bar on the chainsaw. Best described as holding a rattlesnake by the tail. On occasion it won't ice over.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I’ve fished several tournaments there and always did pretty well bouncing a crank bait off the stumps, A senko worm either drop shot, wacky or TX weightless rigs worked well in bubblegum color for me, also might consider using Green/Red flake & Bluegill color. Seemed to me in the dead summer using Zoom brush hogs mid-size in green/red flake worked best. Just my 2 cent

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I’ve fished several tournaments there and always did pretty well bouncing a crank bait off the stumps, A senko worm either drop shot, wacky or TX weightless rigs worked well in bubblegum color for me, also might consider using Green/Red flake & Bluegill color. Seemed to me in the dead summer using Zoom brush hogs mid-size in green/red flake worked best. Just my 2 cent
    How do you rig the brush hogs?

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Depends on water temps..... weight or non weight and also the size of the brush hog and line size.... remember the hotter the water the less energy the hawgs want to put out so make your bait fall slow... hook wise up there.. size 3 or better rig it weedless

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Any lure/technique suggestions for fishing Deep Creek?

Yep, take a coat.

Like I said, I used a Lucky-13. (White w/ red head) We assume that other popper types would work as well.

The day we went, I tried Carolina rigs... Nothing. Spinners... Nothing. That "13" worked though. But, as we all know, those bass can be finicky bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom