Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I'd be interested in a couple.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I bought something like twenty or so stocks from this guy maybe a year or two ago. Said he had bought a house and they were in the garage. I asked the guy directly if he had any other parts and he said he did not just an unknown number of stocks. On one of the M14 sites a link was posted to that ad and several people did state they had purchased from the guy previously and in spite of the story it was in fact the inventory from Armscorp or some other defunct company. Didn't really care what the back story was at the time I was only looking for a couple of birch stocks to attempt adding wood dye to a stain as an experiment. He did ask what type of guns I was in to and I replied that I was in the process of locating parts to build another M1A,couple FALs and AR-15 and that's where the conversation ended. The real disappointment was I don't believe after further inspection I got any birch stocks in the lot,although there were a few Winchester walnuts that could possibly be saved.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Hell, I'll pay $40 for an uncleaned one shipped :) USPS has the perfect box an shipping to 50 States is under $15.

Post them on an M14 forum. They'll sell out in nine days!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Amscorp? That's the Philipines right?

Curious on what the heritage is on these. How does the wood look? Once you get them sorted I might be interested in one or two, especially if I ever come across the Polytech M1S I have been looking for Ill be looking for something to replace the Chino-wood stock.

That's Armscor in the Philippines, that name causes so much confusion. Unless you're an old fart you wouldn't know about Armscorp, based in our own backyard. Until this thread I'd forgotten that they were based in Middle River. The owner used to be a staple at local gunshows until he closed his doors. If anyone has the real skinny on what happened I would be interested to know.
    What I do know is that I bought a TRW M14 parts kit from neighbor Charles Mahoney back in the mid 90s. Then bought a receiver from Armscorp. The owner offered to let me tour his facility at that time. A great gesture that I sadly never took him up on. A regret.
    Then it was on to Clint McKee at Fulton to get him to build it for me. At that time his experience with Armscorp receivers was spotty at best. He was used to using Springfield Armory receivers. But he took on the job and the results were fantastic.
    Here's a brief write up on Armscorp. A bit dated but makes for a good read...
    Armscorp of America, Inc. and Armscorp USA, Inc.
    Production and Services – Armscorp of America, Inc. was formed in 1981 by Jack H. Friese. It built accurized M14 type rifles for competition shooters. In 1985, the company was located at 9162 Brookville Road Silver Spring, MD 20910. Mike Gruber and Clint McKee, who would later go on to establish Fulton Armory, also worked at Armscorp of America at this time. The company moved to 4424 John Avenue Baltimore, MD 21227 at some point between September 1987 and 1992. The firm reorganized as Armscorp USA,
    Inc. in 1992 after the move to Baltimore. Smith Enterprise, Inc. sold some billet machined receivers to Armscorp of America, Inc. about 1985 and 1986 but none were stamped Armscorp of America. They were Smith
    Enterprise stamped receivers and advertised as such. A complete rifle with a Smith Enterprise receiver, all USGI parts and a used USGI stock was advertised by Armscorp of America initially in Shotgun News for $539.95. The Armscorp of America advertisement listed the bare Smith Enterprise M-14 receiver for sale at $199.95 and complete USGI parts kits without the receiver for $239.95. A TRW M14 parts kit was an additional $10.00. The customer demand for the bare receivers and assembled rifles was so great
    in 1986 that it took the firm several months to fill the backlog of orders even with a price increase. The June 1986 Soldier of Fortune review of the Armscorp of America M14 lists the retail price for the Armscorp of America M14 at $674.95 with a used USGI stock.
    Smith Enterprise sold some casting equipment and tooling to Armscorp of America, Inc. between 1986 and 1990. Armscorp of America, Inc. was manufacturing investment cast receivers at some point by the summer of 1987. As of September 18, 1987 the company had completed the machining of five lots of Armscorp of America M14 type receivers using its own personnel and CNC machine tools. Armscorp of America receiver heat
    treatment was performed according to the USGI procedure and certified by the vendor. Armscorp of America receiver with serial number A00326X has been identified as billet
    machined. An Armscorp of America receiver with serial number A0039XX is investment cast. Armscorp USA, Inc. manufactures standard, rear lug and double lugged receivers. It was the first commercial manufacturer to sell factory new lugged receivers (see H&R Gun Co. and Smith, Ltd.). The firm casts and machines its receivers as well as those for Fulton Armory. Armscorp USA heat treats its receivers to 56 to 58 HRC to a case depth
    of 0.012 " to 0.018 " per the USGI receiver drawing. Armscorp USA also provides M14 gunsmithing services such as rifle assembly, barrel installation, stock bedding, National Match trigger and flash suppressor modification, and clean and lube. Note that the large majority of Armscorp brand M14 receivers have been sold by the manufacturer as stripped units. In 2006, Armscorp USA was investigating the possibility of manufacturing
    a number of forged M14 parts.
    Receiver Markings - Some of the Armscorp receivers are stamped M21 or XM25 instead of M14 NM or M14 to allow for sale in New Jersey, USA. The State of New Jersey, curiously, has banned new sales of some firearms by name rather than by operating characteristics or features. The USGI M14 receiver drawing numbers 7790189 and 7790189 F have been found on Armscorp receivers under the stock line on the right hand
    side. Stampings on Armscorp receiver operating rod channels have varied. Until at least serial number A003***, the Armscorp receivers are stamped SILVER SPRING MD. The operating rod rail stamping changed to ARMSCORP OF AMERICA SILVER SPRING MD by serial number A0035XX. The next operating rod rail stamping is ARMSCORP OF AMERICA BALTIMORE MARYLAND. This information is stamped on a receiver with a serial number as low as A0039XX. The fourth operating rod rail marking is ARMSCORP USA BALTIMORE MARYLAND as found on receiver serial number 1072X. The fifth
    variety is ARMSCORP BALTIMORE MD as shown on receiver serial number 11***. Armscorp has issued custom receiver serial numbers in the past and still will today upon customer request. At least one Armscorp custom receiver serial number was preceded by the letter A. The serial number prefix A denotes a design change in the early receiver
    production at Armscorp of America, Inc. The serial number prefix S indicates the receiver is made of stainless steel instead of AISI 8620 alloy steel.

Taken from: M14 Rifle History and Development

Apologies to 5.56blaster for stealing his thread. Can't help myself, get excited thinking about our local gun building history.

Attachments

• IMGP7651.JPG
      IMGP7651.JPG
      23.7 KB · Views: 852
    • IMGP7652.JPG
      IMGP7652.JPG
      58.8 KB · Views: 846
    • IMGP7653.JPG
      IMGP7653.JPG
      57.3 KB · Views: 840

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Armscorp of America, Inc. was formed in 1981 by Jack H. Friese. It built accurized M14 type rifles for competition shooters. In 1985, the company was located at 9162 Brookville Road Silver Spring, MD 20910. Mike Gruber and Clint McKee, who would later go on to establish Fulton Armory, also worked at Armscorp of America at this time. The company moved to 4424 John Avenue Baltimore, MD 21227 at some point between September 1987 and 1992. The firm reorganized as Armscorp USA, Inc. in 1992 after the move to Baltimore.

I've been to the building at 4424 John Avenue. A few years ago, I bought the bullet trap that they used to use to test fire their guns. It's a snail trap rated for up to 338 Win Mag. At that time, the building was vacant and being marketed for lease. The property was a mess and the building didn't look too good either. The property manager said that there were still a lot of old parts inside. I didn't go inside and asked him to email me a list or some pictures of what he would sell. He said that he would get them to me, but never sent either.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I forget the gentlemens name (Claude?) but I got a tour of the facility back around 2005 and they had bins and bins of parts and cut up M14's

He gave me the demilled heels of a couple M14's courtesy of slick willy clinton....got them packed away....iirc a Winchester and an HR iirc

One of the guys still sells parts via RA Parts

http://www.armscorpusa.com/Products/m14parts.html

http://www.raparts.com/

Few people know that Armscorp used to make recievers for Fulton up until the mid/late 2000's......remember when Fulton couldnt supply Recievers/Complete guns around 2008?......they had some sort of parting of ways

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's Armscor in the Philippines, that name causes so much confusion. Unless you're an old fart you wouldn't know about Armscorp, based in our own backyard. Until this thread I'd forgotten that they were based in Middle River. The owner used to be a staple at local gunshows until he closed his doors. If anyone has the real skinny on what happened I would be interested to know.
    What I do know is that I bought a TRW M14 parts kit from neighbor Charles Mahoney back in the mid 90s. Then bought a receiver from Armscorp. The owner offered to let me tour his facility at that time. A great gesture that I sadly never took him up on. A regret.
    Then it was on to Clint McKee at Fulton to get him to build it for me. At that time his experience with Armscorp receivers was spotty at best. He was used to using Springfield Armory receivers. But he took on the job and the results were fantastic.
    Here's a brief write up on Armscorp. A bit dated but makes for a good read...
    Armscorp of America, Inc. and Armscorp USA, Inc.
    Production and Services – Armscorp of America, Inc. was formed in 1981 by Jack H. Friese. It built accurized M14 type rifles for competition shooters. In 1985, the company was located at 9162 Brookville Road Silver Spring, MD 20910. Mike Gruber and Clint McKee, who would later go on to establish Fulton Armory, also worked at Armscorp of America at this time. The company moved to 4424 John Avenue Baltimore, MD 21227 at some point between September 1987 and 1992. The firm reorganized as Armscorp USA,
    Inc. in 1992 after the move to Baltimore. Smith Enterprise, Inc. sold some billet machined receivers to Armscorp of America, Inc. about 1985 and 1986 but none were stamped Armscorp of America. They were Smith
    Enterprise stamped receivers and advertised as such. A complete rifle with a Smith Enterprise receiver, all USGI parts and a used USGI stock was advertised by Armscorp of America initially in Shotgun News for $539.95. The Armscorp of America advertisement listed the bare Smith Enterprise M-14 receiver for sale at $199.95 and complete USGI parts kits without the receiver for $239.95. A TRW M14 parts kit was an additional $10.00. The customer demand for the bare receivers and assembled rifles was so great
    in 1986 that it took the firm several months to fill the backlog of orders even with a price increase. The June 1986 Soldier of Fortune review of the Armscorp of America M14 lists the retail price for the Armscorp of America M14 at $674.95 with a used USGI stock.
    Smith Enterprise sold some casting equipment and tooling to Armscorp of America, Inc. between 1986 and 1990. Armscorp of America, Inc. was manufacturing investment cast receivers at some point by the summer of 1987. As of September 18, 1987 the company had completed the machining of five lots of Armscorp of America M14 type receivers using its own personnel and CNC machine tools. Armscorp of America receiver heat
    treatment was performed according to the USGI procedure and certified by the vendor. Armscorp of America receiver with serial number A00326X has been identified as billet
    machined. An Armscorp of America receiver with serial number A0039XX is investment cast. Armscorp USA, Inc. manufactures standard, rear lug and double lugged receivers. It was the first commercial manufacturer to sell factory new lugged receivers (see H&R Gun Co. and Smith, Ltd.). The firm casts and machines its receivers as well as those for Fulton Armory. Armscorp USA heat treats its receivers to 56 to 58 HRC to a case depth
    of 0.012 " to 0.018 " per the USGI receiver drawing. Armscorp USA also provides M14 gunsmithing services such as rifle assembly, barrel installation, stock bedding, National Match trigger and flash suppressor modification, and clean and lube. Note that the large majority of Armscorp brand M14 receivers have been sold by the manufacturer as stripped units. In 2006, Armscorp USA was investigating the possibility of manufacturing
    a number of forged M14 parts.
    Receiver Markings - Some of the Armscorp receivers are stamped M21 or XM25 instead of M14 NM or M14 to allow for sale in New Jersey, USA. The State of New Jersey, curiously, has banned new sales of some firearms by name rather than by operating characteristics or features. The USGI M14 receiver drawing numbers 7790189 and 7790189 F have been found on Armscorp receivers under the stock line on the right hand
    side. Stampings on Armscorp receiver operating rod channels have varied. Until at least serial number A003***, the Armscorp receivers are stamped SILVER SPRING MD. The operating rod rail stamping changed to ARMSCORP OF AMERICA SILVER SPRING MD by serial number A0035XX. The next operating rod rail stamping is ARMSCORP OF AMERICA BALTIMORE MARYLAND. This information is stamped on a receiver with a serial number as low as A0039XX. The fourth operating rod rail marking is ARMSCORP USA BALTIMORE MARYLAND as found on receiver serial number 1072X. The fifth
    variety is ARMSCORP BALTIMORE MD as shown on receiver serial number 11***. Armscorp has issued custom receiver serial numbers in the past and still will today upon customer request. At least one Armscorp custom receiver serial number was preceded by the letter A. The serial number prefix A denotes a design change in the early receiver
    production at Armscorp of America, Inc. The serial number prefix S indicates the receiver is made of stainless steel instead of AISI 8620 alloy steel.

Taken from: M14 Rifle History and Development

Apologies to 5.56blaster for stealing his thread. Can't help myself, get excited thinking about our local gun building history.

Neato!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've been to the building at 4424 John Avenue.

Ha! I *HAVE* seen these. I was in there when he was selling some CNC stuff a couple years ago. I got Roland cnc router, some tooling, etc. The *HUGE* 50 taper machine was gone already. The spot where it was on the floor had to be 20x20. They had shelves of stocks (but I didn't have a M1A at the time.) Part of a large CMM machine frame (GRANITE!) left & lots of 40 taper tooling. I made a fair offer for both but he couldn't take it w/o talking to someone else first. Never got back to me. Fellow didn't know what much of it was so I tried to explain what I could identify. TONS of junk in the back on pallet racks.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I've been to the building at 4424 John Avenue. A few years ago, I bought the bullet trap that they used to use to test fire their guns. It's a snail trap rated for up to 338 Win Mag. At that time, the building was vacant and being marketed for lease. The property was a mess and the building didn't look too good either. The property manager said that there were still a lot of old parts inside. I didn't go inside and asked him to email me a list or some pictures of what he would sell. He said that he would get them to me, but never sent either.

You should have seen me backing a 14' trailer up the hill to his door to load the stocks. Everything else is gone and the building is rented out and posted no trespasses all over it. I could see where it would have been a haven for bad stuff in the past. I talked to the owner who said someone from the Philadelphia area bought all the stuff he had, Sarco maybe. Hard place to get on and out of. Never figured on a dirt road in that area. Will start cleaning the stocks and trying to figure out what's there this week.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I was going to pick those up but the number listed for Bob was not taking voice mails. I know very little about them but I do know that someone is always looking for a stock. I would have stored them in a nearby warehouse in Hanover and fulled a few per week to clean and learn from. Good buy for sure!

I would be interested in buying one from you. We just redid my son's room into a military theme. He is 6 years old and loves the military. He has been asking me to find cool stuff like rifles or helmets for his room. I would have cleaned one and put it into his room. He wants one of my rifles to hang in there but I am not sure about that since all of mine are functional.

How did Armscorp Baltimore obtain these USGI stocks?

Last edited:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I forget the gentlemens name (Claude?) but I got a tour of the facility back around 2005 and they had bins and bins of parts and cut up M14's

He gave me the demilled heels of a couple M14's courtesy of slick willy clinton....got them packed away....iirc a Winchester and an HR iirc

One of the guys still sells parts via RA Parts

he posted many of them on ebay a while back............. sometimes they would get pulled, sometimes not.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Had the pleasure of meeting blaster this weekend. Managed to get a nice looking blonde outta the stack from him. Learned a bit in the process as well. Price was more than fair too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom