• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Obsidian

Oct 12, 2013
    So, I finally got my HQL. What a nightmare. Part of it was my own fault, but part of it was just Maryland bureaucracy at its finest. I will say that from time of actual form submission to receiving my HQL in the mail was about 7 days, so I guess they at least have that part down, but what kills me is that this is just another way for the Peoples Republic of Maryland to track my purchases.

Who even knows why they feel they need to put law abiding citizens through all this, but I will say this, it shouldn't have to jump through these kinds of hoops to bear arms. When you couple that with the other October 2013 gun law changes, I definitely feel like my rights are being infringed.

-- O

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    Congratulations on getting your HQL. I agree with you about feeling infringed. Gun control laws affect only law abiding citizens. The bad guys aren't following gun control laws, so passing more stringent laws don't effect them at all.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Of course they can use it to track you, but I think the main reasons are: 1.- To make it so hard that newbies won't bother with the BS; 2.- Sounds good on O'Malley's resume and 3.- higher fee than before. It most definitely isn't about stopping firearms from getting into the hands of criminals, which they so proudly stated.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    So, I finally got my HQL. What a nightmare. Part of it was my own fault, but part of it was just Maryland bureaucracy at its finest. I will say that from time of actual form submission to receiving my HQL in the mail was about 7 days, so I guess they at least have that part down, but what kills me is that this is just another way for the Peoples Republic of Maryland to track my purchases.

Who even knows why they feel they need to put law abiding citizens through all this, but I will say this, it shouldn't have to jump through these kinds of hoops to bear arms. When you couple that with the other October 2013 gun law changes, I definitely feel like my rights are being infringed.

-- O
    The "Firearms Safety Act of 2013" is designed to discourage law-abiding citizens from purchasing firearms. It has nothing to do with stopping criminals. Gov. MOM and his cronies hope that the combined cost of the HQL class, "live-scan" and the HQL license fees will discourage gun ownership in this state. Plus, as stated in another post, Gov. MOM hopes this will improve his "resume" as a liberal and that he will be considered as Hillary's running mate in 2016. That is why he proposed and pushed through this new law.

Until we change the elected leaders in this state we can expect more of the same.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I suppose dubious congradulations are in order.

Meanwhile I don't have a HQL.

I also don't have a license to gather with my fellow citizens.

I also don't have a license to petion my redressesesM

I also don't have a license to address my fellow citizens.

I also don't have a license to write letters to public foroums.

I also don't have license to read newspapers and journals, and handbills ( or blogs and podcasts for the younger generations ).

Nor do I have a license to attend Mass.

Sorry , I won't lend legitamacy by volentarily surrendering my fundamental Rights.

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    Sorry , I won't lend legitamacy by volentarily surrendering my fundamental Rights.

Nice speech .... unfortunately it's wasted.

HQL has no bearing on your right to keep and bear arms - you just can't purchase a MD regulated firearm without one. You don't have to have a HQL to own a firearm.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Nice speech .... unfortunately it's wasted.

HQL has no bearing on your right to keep and bear arms - you just can't purchase a MD regulated firearm without one. You don't have to have a HQL to own a firearm.

You can't purchase a HANDGUN without one..hence "H"QL. Heller already decided that we have a right to own handguns....a right which the state is infringing upon.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I suppose dubious congradulations are in order.

Meanwhile I don't have a HQL.

I also don't have a license to gather with my fellow citizens.

I also don't have a license to petion my redressesesM

I also don't have a license to address my fellow citizens.

I also don't have a license to write letters to public foroums.

I also don't have license to read newspapers and journals, and handbills ( or blogs and podcasts for the younger generations ).

Nor do I have a license to attend Mass.

Outstanding analogy.

:thumbup:

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    seriously ?

Oh from California -- ok now I understand..

Your still wrong however .... :)

Yeah, seriously. From SB281:
    "HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE” MEANS A LICENSE ISSUED BY THE SECRETARY THAT AUTHORIZES A PERSON TO PURCHASE, RENT, OR RECEIVE A HANDGUN."

Do you see the words "own", "possess" or any word meaning the same?

Wait, try this:
    "(A) (1) A PERSON WHO MOVES INTO THE STATE WITH THE INTENT OF BECOMING A RESIDENT SHALL REGISTER ALL REGULATED FIREARMS WITH THE SECRETARY WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER ESTABLISHING RESIDENCY.
    (2) THE SECRETARY SHALL PREPARE AND, ON REQUEST OF AN APPLICANT, PROVIDE AN APPLICATION FORM FOR REGISTRATION UNDER THIS SECTION.
    (B) AN APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION UNDER THIS SECTION SHALL CONTAIN:
    (1) THE MAKE, MODEL, MANUFACTURER’S SERIAL NUMBER, CALIBER, TYPE, BARREL LENGTH, FINISH, AND COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OF THE EACH REGULATED FIREARM; AND
    (2) THE FIREARM APPLICANT’S NAME, ADDRESS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, PLACE AND DATE OF BIRTH, HEIGHT, WEIGHT, RACE, EYE AND HAIR COLOR, SIGNATURE, DRIVER’S OR PHOTOGRAPHIC IDENTIFICATION SOUNDEX NUMBER, AND OCCUPATION.
    (C) EACH AN APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION FILED WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE POLICE SHALL BE ACCOMPANIED BY A NONREFUNDABLE TOTAL REGISTRATION FEE OF $15, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF FIREARMS REGISTERED.
    (D) REGISTRATION DATA PROVIDED UNDER THIS SECTION IS NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC INSPECTION."

How odd that the law states you can move into MD with your firearms as long as you register them - and mentions nothing about having to obtain a HQL first.

Oh, and Irony-101: someone who calls themselves "Brooklyn" mocks someone from California - and apparently can't tell the difference between a city and a state? Priceless.

Merry Christmas - dumbass.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Dec 19 Finished HQL class and livescan
    Dec 20 Submitted Application ......
    Dec 27 Received #
    mid 4000 numbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member