• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Why is it, that when a sign states "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting", some people think that means everyone but them????????

Case in point...... Saturday, late afternoon, I'm driving to the farm where my son and I have permission to hunt, and some 'kid' (looks to be 22 to 26 years old) wearing Carhartt dark brown coveralls and a LIME GREEN vest, carrying a Mossberg shotgun, walks out of the woods, on property that is CLEARLY marked "No Hunting" "No Trespassing".

This guy doesn't belong there. He doesn't have permission to hunt there. (I double-checked with the landowner.)

What's even worse, he waves, smiles and crosses the dirt road and walks away.

Why is it that people ignore postings and POACH our wild game???????

I'm curious to see the replies.....

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    First and foremost, wild game belongs to the state or the people, not the landowners.

Is there any possible way the fella could have wondered onto the land without seeing any signs?

byf43

First and foremost, wild game belongs to the state or the people, not the landowners.

Is there any possible way the fella could have wondered onto the land without seeing any signs?

Impossible, unless he walked through two swamps, and that's not likely, since his coveralls were dry.

And I am fully aware that wild game is REGULATED by the state, but, the property is owned/regulated by a private individual.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i generally blame it on people who are not from here. that seems to be the case most of the time at the farm. city folk move onto 3 acres of land and think they own all the land surrounding them. either that or the other excuse i get is, man you guys have all that land and only a few of you hunt it because you are greedy. they are the same folks with 4 wheelers and 3 acres of land who i catch blasting thru my beans and wheat. when i catch the they say i only messed up what my wheels ran over and you have so much out there whats your problem. i truly hate these people. they never ask but always take. they are lazy po's. hell i caught one deer hunting and ran him off and then in the spring i caught the sum bitch doing doughnut in my beans on a 4 wheeler and i dragged him off it and took him to his house and his parents wanted me arrested. we have called the cops dozens of times and apparently they dont care in charles county because half the time they ask are they still there and if they are not then the cops dont even come out.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    How about walking around on land you don't belong on during gun season with no orange? That's a good way to get accidentally shot.

byf43

What about tracking a wound deer. I would trust pass if my deer didnt obey the signs

Tracking a wounded deer????
    You're supposed to seek permission from the landowner. That's the legal thing to do.

How about walking around on land you don't belong on during gun season with no orange? That's a good way to get accidentally shot.

This is another reason I gave emphasis on what the guy was wearing.

There's NO DOUBT in my mind, that this guy KNEW that he was trespassing and Poaching.
    No doubt.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    same here in st marys people do what they want theres nothing you can do to stop it with out getting in trouble your self dnr was here every day first week of shotgun last year seven people where locked up this year its worst then last

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    i generally blame it on people who are not from here. that seems to be the case most of the time at the farm. city folk move onto 3 acres of land and think they own all the land surrounding them. either that or the other excuse i get is, man you guys have all that land and only a few of you hunt it because you are greedy. they are the same folks with 4 wheelers and 3 acres of land who i catch blasting thru my beans and wheat. when i catch the they say i only messed up what my wheels ran over and you have so much out there whats your problem. i truly hate these people. they never ask but always take. they are lazy po's. hell i caught one deer hunting and ran him off and then in the spring i caught the sum bitch doing doughnut in my beans on a 4 wheeler and i dragged him off it and took him to his house and his parents wanted me arrested. we have called the cops dozens of times and apparently they dont care in charles county because half the time they ask are they still there and if they are not then the cops dont even come out.

There are quite a few that don't like playing by the rules. Having power lines on the property really sucks during hunting season. Always get 2 or 3 that think the power line area is open and fair territory for all.

Special operations in the sheriff's office used to have an interest in the trespass / 4 wheeler area. Try calling them directly and explain your situation.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I think a lot of people are simply ignorant. My wife has a friend from college that has always lived in the city. We own about 3.5 acres, about half of which is woods. She pointed to the woods and asked what was back there. I told her that my property ended about 75 yards in and beyond that I didn't know.

She then asked why I haven't been past that point. I responded with, "Because that's someone else's property". She then looked right at me and asked "So what does that mean? I can't hike back there?".

She's actually pretty smart and even has her wits about her but I still had to explain to her about property rights because she had never had to deal with it.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    same here in st marys people do what they want theres nothing you can do to stop it with out getting in trouble your self dnr was here every day first week of shotgun last year seven people where locked up this year its worst then last

If I understand your post correctly...which is hard to do :innocent0 ...I'd say you're making a huge over-statement that is largely wrong.

I'm in St. Mary's and am exposed to a lot of hunters. I find that, like gun owners in general, that hunters / sportsmen in general are honest, law abiding citizens who do the right thing in most circumstances. Yes, there are those few who do think that they are above the law and will do the wrong thing, but they are not the majority.

byf43

If I understand your post correctly...which is hard to do :innocent0 ...I'd say you're making a huge over-statement that is largely wrong.

I'm in St. Mary's and am exposed to a lot of hunters. I find that, like gun owners in general, that hunters / sportsmen in general are honest, law abiding citizens who do the right thing in most circumstances.
    Yes, there are those few who do think that they are above the law and will do the wrong thing, but they are not the majority.

Keywords in red boldface.

Example: I knew (emphasis on the past tense) a guy that was (again, past tense) a H.S. Instructor and Bowhunter Ed instructor.

He made the comment aloud, that, "He lived near some property that was marked 'No Trespassing/No Hunting Allowed' and that he didn't give a (defecation) about what the sign said, because he lived next to that property before the landowner did, and he'd hunt it any _ _ _ _ed time he wanted to."

He even admitted to taking some really nice deer off of that property!

He's alienated several long-term friends and associates, because he feels that he was above the regulations.

Personally, I have no use for a Poacher. I find them to be lower than whale _ _ _ _ on the bottom of the ocean.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Someone needs to add to their "No Hunting" signs "Violators risk , fines, jail, forfeiture of firearms and vehicles".

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    There are quite a few that don't like playing by the rules. Having power lines on the property really sucks during hunting season. Always get 2 or 3 that think the power line area is open and fair territory for all.

Special operations in the sheriff's office used to have an interest in the trespass / 4 wheeler area. Try calling them directly and explain your situation.

we have power lines running thru at my grandmothers and yep people think its public land, it is not.
    special ops , i may well call.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013

I'm in St. Mary's and am exposed to a lot of hunters. I find that, like gun owners in general, that hunters / sportsmen in general are honest, law abiding citizens who do the right thing in most circumstances. Yes, there are those few who do think that they are above the law and will do the wrong thing, but they are not the majority.

I'm sorry i was talking about the trespassers not the hunters doing the right thing but if you don't follow the rules I don't call them hunters

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    call DNR/police on him...only way people will learn is to get in trouble for it...

I would agree, but getting them to act is something else.

I have called police and DNR several times about people trespassing on the rear part of our property and hunting. Sometomes they have actually showed up...several hours later.

I would like to think I could chase them off without getting shot, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it.

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    Why is it, that when a sign states "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting", some people think that means everyone but them????????

Case in point...... Saturday, late afternoon, I'm driving to the farm where my son and I have permission to hunt, and some 'kid' (looks to be 22 to 26 years old) wearing Carhartt dark brown coveralls and a LIME GREEN vest, carrying a Mossberg shotgun, walks out of the woods, on property that is CLEARLY marked "No Hunting" "No Trespassing".

This guy doesn't belong there. He doesn't have permission to hunt there. (I double-checked with the landowner.)

What's even worse, he waves, smiles and crosses the dirt road and walks away.

Why is it that people ignore postings and POACH our wild game???????

I'm curious to see the replies.....

I find this laughable .... as in "want some cheese with that whine?"

If it's your property, that's another story. It's not, and your rant comes off more like "Mom! Johnny keeps coming in my room and bothering me!"

If someone else does have permission, what would your next argument be - "I asked first!"?

Dec 31, 2012
    I find this laughable .... as in "want some cheese with that whine?"

If it's your property, that's another story. It's not, and your rant comes off more like "Mom! Johnny keeps coming in my room and bothering me!"

If someone else does have permission, what would your next argument be - "I asked first!"?

The OP reports a crime to the land owner and gripes about people committing crimes and you have a problem with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom