Votes: 166 52.9%
    • No

Votes: 148 47.1%

• Total voters

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Why I got my wife a hand gun. NO permission slip and NO MSP training. She has been trained by ME, also has a NRA training. I'm a NRA pistol trainer.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Did I read correctly... you also need the HQL to RENT a handgun? So if I go to On Target during lunch with some co-workers, we all have to have the HQL to rent their pistols?

No.. as long the gun doesnt leave the premise.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I will be getting my HQL just because you never know when it might be handy to have. I will also be getting it so MOM can't say; see nobody wants to buy a controlled gun in Maryland because there are no applications for HQL's. Prior to the commencement of the law I will inform the MSP of my intention to purchase a controlled firearm on October 1st of this year and my need to have a HQL in hand so that can happen. I may include the specific gun and dealer so in case of a future lawsuit because of lack of said HQL the lawsuit can site specific associated damages to insure standing. Probably use a two pronged approach first send a written inquiry well prior to the date asking how to get one, then depending on response, assuming they give no path forward, send a formal statement of intent to take a specific action that would be legal under the new law if a HQl had been issued.

Plan your test cases well in advance.

Walter

May 23, 2010
    Nope. I'm moving to VA late next year and getting my CCW permit as well. I will hold off all purchases until then. No ******** "regulated guns" list. Hell, I plan on purchasing a handgun from a private sale.

Maryland is a lost cause.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have my US Grant already set aside and it'll be the best 50 bucks I ever spent.

100's of 1,000's of people need to apply for their HQL on October 1st.

This State wants HQL applications. Give them all the HQL applications they can stand.

Flood them with so much HQL paperwork that they start going cross eyed and blind from it.

I'm just sorry the MSP is going to get hurt it the process for simply doing their jobs, but the MSP needs to understand that the State of Maryland did this to them. Not the Citizens of Maryland.

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    This question is for those of you who will get the HQL.

Will you also register your weapons when the time comes?

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    No.. as long the gun doesnt leave the premise.

I never knew you could rent a gun and leave the premise or any place that allows this.

If this is allowed and using the example that Frosh used during the bill explanation, why would a girlfriend buy a gun to give to her boyfriend to rob a bank (straw purchase, example he used), when the boyfriend could rent a gun and return it after the crime? :D

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have more guns than I could ever use and have spent the last year+ buying things to arm friends and relatives in a time of need. I'm thinking I probably won't bother (HQL) but I guess if I live here long enough I may eventually. I'm not running out of MD over SB281, but between the political climate, crime and taxes, I'm definitely not planning on spending the rest of my days here.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I never knew you could rent a gun and leave the premise or any place that allows this.

If this is allowed and using the example that Frosh used during the bill explanation, why would a girlfriend buy a gun to give to her boyfriend to rob a bank (straw purchase, example he used), when the boyfriend could rent a gun and return it after the crime? :D

I didn't hear Frosh's idea of "gun rentals". Does he think such things go on legally?

I think you can rent a fotay in some bars in the hood. Same place you buy "bullets" one at a time.

But they don't have you do paperwork on it.

Meanwhile, bear in mind that a lot of the legislation is directed against fantasies and delusions held by the legislators.

Notice half or more of the soon-to-be-banned "assault rifles" do not even exist.

Find me a pistol with a non detachable magazine which holds more than ten rounds.

Then show me a semi automatic rifle that takes detachable magazines and has an integral grenade launcher (must be factory-original configuration).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So your saying your hair isn't that color naturally :D

Count me in the list of getting a HQL just to give them more paperwork to do. By 10/1 I should have already received all the handguns I bought at the end of March so while I "may" not need to do it, I "shall" just because. In the future I might see a new handgun I like and I'll already have the paperwork to get it. But those who refuse to get a HQL just bolster the Anti-stats that will be pitched to show a sudden drop in gun purchases must mean that these new requirements put an end to all straw-purchases. Kind of like how RIAA directly equates lost sales to piracy and only piracy.

Another thing I saw mention is the "Assault weapon copy" clause. I forget the exact wording, but it was something like if its got more than 10 round capacity and a threaded barrel then its banned. Well I should have my FNX-45 tactical before October, but I'm sure there are other handguns that meet this clause, so since these are "banned" handguns, would or would one not have to go through the HQL process to receive these after 10/1?

FYI: I've only been fingerprinted twice in my entire life. Once when I was born and again when I started working for the Feds. Wonder if I can get HR to do a live-scan for me...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is no longer about getting an HQL or not getting an HQL.

If you do not get an HQL or at least apply for an HQL then THEY will have won.

It's only 50 bucks. It's two extra large meat pizzas or 25 sodas at a gas station. Me, I'm willing to give up 10 bags of Oberto's beef jerky to see this through.

If you already have all the regulated goodies you need, fine. Apply for an HQL anyway.

THEY need to be sent a loud and clear signal that we are not going anywhere.

eurobuff

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 21, 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is no longer about getting an HQL or not getting an HQL.

If you do not get an HQL or at least apply for an HQL then THEY will have won.

It's only 50 bucks. It's two extra large meat pizzas or 25 sodas at a gas station. Me, I'm willing to give up 10 bags of Oberto's beef jerky to see this through.

If you already have all the regulated goodies you need, fine. Apply for an HQL anyway.

THEY need to be sent a loud and clear signal that we are not going anywhere.

Yea I can see MOM now. Hey guys remember that law those gun enthusiasts strongly opposed? Guess what, they're following it and somehow think that is sticking it to the man. Time to pass another law that they'll follow. Their track record shows they'll jump through any hoop.

Your right is now a privilege.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I will be getting the HQL and here is why.

1) I have already been figured printed (I have a Utah Permit)
    2) They exempted me from the training requirement. The is were the biggest expense is going to come from.
    3) Although I have bough several handguns this year I bough mostly 9M with larger capacity mag since the mags are getting banned.
    4) In the end they just added a fee to buy handguns. $50 plus the cost of getting figured printed (Around $35 ) and possibly notary services (Around $10) .

It sucks it is going to cost me around $100 to get the license but it also sucks to have to wait 7 days (Laughs were are at 90 now) to get a handgun having to spend around $20 to get an approved Maryland lock, etc. If I lived just 60 min North, South, or West I could get pick the gun up in under an hour without have to pay extra.

Thanks
    Robert

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I didn't hear Frosh's idea of "gun rentals". Does he think such things go on legally?

Frosh's example was always "girlfriend buys gun for boyfriend to commit crime". He used this as a straw purchase example.

I was stating that since OFF-premises rentals are allowed (although I never seen or heard of one - and assume they are allowed because you will need a license to do so after 10/1), the boyfriend could keep the girlfriend out of trouble by renting the gun himself.

I believe that you will need a handgun license to rent a gun at a range, unless someone can tell me that renting guns for off-premises use is prevalent. Otherwise why would they put "rent" in the bills language?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Yea I can see MOM now. Hey guys remember that law those gun enthusiasts strongly opposed? Guess what, they're following it and somehow think that is sticking it to the man. Time to pass another law that they'll follow. Their track record shows they'll jump through any hoop.

Your right is now a privilege.

To a point, I agree with you. But your wrong in your overall take on it.

If we knuckle under and crawl away with our tails between our legs, they will have won.

Their ultimate goal is to see the sale of regulated firearms go way down.

Their ultimate goal is to Demonize us and hope that we go away quietly.

We must not allow this to happen.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I believe that you will need a handgun license to rent a gun at a range, unless someone can tell me that renting guns for off-premises use is prevalent. Otherwise why would they put "rent" in the bills language?

The girlfriend can just get the HQL. Frosh is an idiot.

You won't need an HQL to rent at the range, because the gun doesn't leave the premises.

They put the language in there because they don't understand what they're legislating. The grenade launchers they banned do not exist. The banned "Terry" and "Bushmaster" rifles, in essence, do not exist.

The rentals for which they are requiring a license, exist only on the illegal market. They might as well require bank robbers to get a license. Contract killers should be required to pass a test and be certified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom