• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Same thing happened in Jamaica in the 70's. Wasn't too long before rape and arm robberies skyrocketed (and is STILL high when compared).

There's an old story of an expat who had lived there prior to the ban, then saw the immediate aftermath of the change, can't seem to find it now..

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If that's the video I saw several weeks ago, it was sort of misleading. Near the end, they finally tell you it was a long-gun ban, or something like that. Not to say I'm not bothered by the idea, but I felt the video was a little sensationalized.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    And don't worry... They'l never come for your "hunting rifle"

... They have to get people calling it a "sniper rifle" first.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They're coming after you NFA guys first.

I made a bet with my brother that my suppressors would float. Tragically, they didn't. If we didn't do this over the Marianas Trench, I would have gone down to get them....

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    sounds like a game plan for the future of american gun owners. Get your ass's off the couch turn off the football game and get you ass in gear we are next!

a right not exercised is a right lost!

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    I made a bet with my brother that my suppressors would float. Tragically, they didn't. If we didn't do this over the Marianas Trench, I would have gone down to get them....

:lol2:

happens to us all. don't feel stupid. that dam trench is gonna be a goldmine for anyone with the resources to scavenge the floor. but even if my stuff is not there, I am pretty sure a whale or a giant shark ate it by accident.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Violent crime is on the rise in Europe, in contrast it is falling in the US.
    http://www2.dse.unibo.it/zanella/papers/crime-EP.pdf

Crime in Europe and the US: Dissecting the “Reversal of Misfortunes”
    Paolo Buonanno, Francesco Drago, Roberto Galbiati, and Giulio Zanella*
    February 3, 2011
    Summary
    Contrary to common perceptions, today both property and violent crimes (with the exception of homicides) are more widespread in Europe than in the US, while the opposite was true thirty years ago. We label this fact as the "reversal of misfortunes". We investigate what accounts for the reversal by studying the causal impact of demographic changes, incarceration, abortion, unemployment and immigration on crime. For this we use time series data (1970-2008) from seven European countries and the U.S. We find that the demographic structure of the population and the incarceration rate are important determinants of crime. Our results suggest that a tougher incarceration policy may be an effective way to contrast crime in Europe. Our analysis does not provide information on how incarceration policy should be made tougher nor does it provide an answer to the question whether a such a policy would also be efficient from a cost-benefit point of view. We leave this to future research.
    1. Introduction
    Despite the interest of policy-makers in crime and the long tradition of economic analysis of delinquent behaviour, there is a surprising lack of quantitative research on the determinants of crime and on the effects of crime control policies outside the US, particularly in Europe. Much of what we know is based on analyses of American data1, and is summarized by Levitt (2004) and Levitt and Miles (2007).2 The primary goal of this paper is to fill this gap: we employ data on crime in Europe as well, and perform a cross- country empirical investigation of crime trends during the last forty years. Here and in what follows, by Europe we mean Austria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK. Although this choice is primarily driven by data availability, these seven countries account for more than 80% of the pre-2004 population of the current European Union, with an aggregate population above 300 million –a figure comparable to the US population.
    It is well known that the US experienced an unexpected drop in crime rates after 1990. In Europe, on the contrary, crime rates have been on the rise since at least 1970. Contrary to common perceptions, crime is today more widespread in Europe than in the US, while the opposite was true thirty years ago. This fact, which we label the "reversal of misfortunes", is documented in Figures 1-3. Figure 1 shows the dynamics of the total crime rate (crimes of any kind reported to the police per 1,000 inhabitants) in the US and in Europe. In 1970 the aggregate crime rate in the seven European countries we consider was 63% of the corresponding US figure, but by 2007 it was 85% higher than in the US. This striking reversal results from a steady increase in the total crime rate in Europe during the last 40 years, and the decline in the US rate after 1990. The reversal of misfortunes is also observed for property and violent crimes. Figure 2 documents the trends in the property crime rate. Although in this case Europe and the US have been moving along a common trend since the early 1990s, the European rate in 2007 was still 20% above the US rate, while in 1970 the Europe/US ratio was below 30%. The same pattern is found when looking at individual countries, with the exceptions of France and Italy. Figure 3 shows the reversal for violent crimes: in 1970 the violent crime rate in Europe was 62% of the corresponding rate in the US. By 2008 it was more than twice the US figure.

violent_crime_europe.jpg

Note to Figure 3. The jump in the UK violent crime rate after 1997 reflects a discontinuity in definitions and
    recording practices. The Home Office (2008) notices that “the number of violence against the person offences
    recorded by the police increased by 118 per cent as a result of the 1998 changes [...]. Much of this increase resulted
    from a widening of the offence coverage to include assaults with little or no physical injury, and offences of
    harassment (again with no injury)” (p. 60). In the inferential part of the paper this will be controlled for by year
    fixed effects. The dynamics after the discontinuity, though is genuine.

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!

Exactly. I can't immagine how many tragic boating accidents would happen here in the US if they ever cosider even trying to pull that stunt, and that's not even taking into account the many "accidents" that left-wing fanatics would all of the sudden be a "victim" of!

What a calamity!!!;)

Taurus85

Jun 25, 2011
    Rosedale, MD
    This is why we need to be watchful of our state house and washington dc. I am not sure who said this but it's becoming more true as we see what is unfolding around us. The saying is: " ARMED BECAUSE WE'RE FREE OR FREE BECAUSE WE'RE ARMED? Let not out 2nd amendment never been taken from us.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    If that's the video I saw several weeks ago, it was sort of misleading. Near the end, they finally tell you it was a long-gun ban, or something like that. Not to say I'm not bothered by the idea, but I felt the video was a little sensationalized.

And it should be. The idea this could happen or did happen to any guns, especially something as simple as long guns I think is frightening. It can be considered a first step. And there are people in the US taking notes.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sadly as ignorance becomes more and more a fundamental right we creep closer and closer. Any govt that would disarm it's peacable citizenry and all of it's willing minions are legidimate targets for those arms.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Saw the same thing when they did it in England. Piles of guns destroyed. Makes me sick. And, of course, their crime rate doubled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom