• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    That's exactly correct. One BG will be asking you for a light when his buddy will be hitting you on the back of your head with a bat or a rock. You will never see it coming and by the time you get off the ground your gun and wallet will be gone.

The one guy I would not want to be in a bank is the armed guard. You will be the first to go. The open carry gun on your side will only frighten the BG want to be's. It will not frighten the real bad guys.

Lot's of misinformation out there! While these are possibilities, I only know of one fully confirmed citizen open carrying who has been robbed of their gun ( in WI). None have been "shot first" such as with a bank guard. In this one case, it sounds like the open carry occured in a very rough part of town. It would be akin to OCing by yourself in west Baltimore.

I've been hanging around the forums at opencarry.org for about 4 years, and been at PAFOA almost as long. I originally went to PAFOA to find out more about OC in PA. I have personally met several who OC, and have done it myself as well. I am currently sitting here at home OCing with a serpa level 2 holster ( belt loop attachment, not paddle). The level of situational awareness among us is akin to veteran cops and military. I've been a "sheepdog" most of my life. I can remember looking out for the bullies and the bad guys when I was 5. I honed my skills living in Bolton Hill in Baltimore for 4 years. After a number of years of being away from crime ridden areas and no longer giving such awareness any thought, I caught myself "scanning" one day and realized I was doing it daily anyway. It never left me, and became like muscle memory.

If we are going to have lawful open carry in public here in MD ( oh and we will unless it gets legislatively punted as a "compromise" for shall-issue concealed carry), we need to learn the facts. Maryland will go through the same bumpy ride as VA, PA, and WI.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Fudds will be Fudds.

Having spent some time in OC states were every rancher open carried (in security level zero holsters) as they went about town, I know that the scenerios painted are equal to lightning strikes or shark attacks as to being a real concern.

OCing in a urban environ with the proper holster would be a lesser concern then not carring at all. OC and CCW each has their place, been there and done both.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    That's the sort of twaddle you hear from people who have no learning and no training. Everything they know about guns, crime, close quarters combat and what happens when things go bad, they saw on television and in the movies.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Foxtrapper, thanks for making a new thread for this. I thought that my head was going to explode in the other one.:banghead:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Well I was the guy first to vote for open carry in that "other" thread. I open carry in PA,Va,WV,Nc and even in Wyoming. It still drives my nuts how people who are for gun rights think open carry will cause panic in the streets! Hell, when I walk in to the long horn steak house in Chantally Va. with a 1911 on my belt no one has ever had a heart attack and died! The Manager at the Crackle Barrel at glen rock made a point to come to the table and say how glad he was to see some one excercing their right!!

As far as the inter net rambo's with their tac-cool ideas of suprising the bad guy in some tv inspired day dream of ccw justice if you have to put a kel-tec in an ibw holster you should get some traing and not be scared of the gun! it's a freaking tool!!!!! treat it with respect and don't act like an ass and everyone will be fine!!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well I was the guy first to vote for open carry in that "other" thread. I open carry in PA,Va,WV,Nc and even in Wyoming. It still drives my nuts how people who are for gun rights think open carry will cause panic in the streets! Hell, when I walk in to the long horn steak house in Chantally Va. with a 1911 on my belt no one has ever had a heart attack and died! The Manager at the Crackle Barrel at glen rock made a point to come to the table and say how glad he was to see some one excercing their right!!

As far as the inter net rambo's with their tac-cool ideas of suprising the bad guy in some tv inspired day dream of ccw justice if you have to put a kel-tec in an ibw holster you should get some traing and not be scared of the gun! it's a freaking tool!!!!! treat it with respect and don't act like an ass and everyone will be fine!!

Both managers at CiCi's Pizza here in New Bern have told me that my .357 is welcome in their restaurant.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Browning guy, when were you at the Cracker Barrel? Also it's in the New Freedom zip code but most people say it's in Shrewsbury since it's off the exit 4 Shrewsbury exit. My parents have breakfast there all the time. I've been there too, and always very crowded, surprised a manager even noticed you.

Ok, I forgot about the gun grab/murder. I now recall it being discussed maybe at PAFOA. The guy probably did not use a retentive holster like serpa 2-3 or thumb break, and there was probably a situational awareness fail, not to mention lack of training in case of a grab. I know of a case with a guy with all sorts of training having some ******* security guard try a gun grab on him from behind without warning. I think the guard got his nose broken and lots of bruises and ended up on the floor, all from the elbow and turn around and punch the face and knock you down move done in pure reaction by the OCer. I know I read about that one some time ago at OCDO.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Browning guy, when were you at the Cracker Barrel? Also it's in the New Freedom zip code but most people say it's in Shrewsbury since it's off the exit 4 Shrewsbury exit. My parents have breakfast there all the time. I've been there too, and always very crowded, surprised a manager even noticed you.

Ok, I forgot about the gun grab/murder. I now recall it being discussed maybe at PAFOA. The guy probably did not use a retentive holster like serpa 2-3 or thumb break, and there was probably a situational awareness fail, not to mention lack of training in case of a grab. I know of a case with a guy with all sorts of training having some ******* security guard try a gun grab on him from behind without warning. I think the guard got his nose broken and lots of bruises and ended up on the floor, all from the elbow and turn around and punch the face and knock you down move done in pure reaction by the OCer. I know I read about that one some time ago at OCDO.

Yup, got my exits mixed up I was at the exit 4 Cracker barrle, I eat their alot when I leave the rifle range, Seitzland rifle club. I have also o.c'ed in the one right out side of york now that I think about it.

It just drives me nuts that with a quick check of opencarry.org and a out of state permit I can basicly leave maryland and carry a gun in most of the country. Then people in Maryland who are for gun rights get squemish at o.c. here at home! My god given right to protect myself,childern,family and friends and their right to do the same is limited to a well hidden weapon as not to offend anyone! We all stand together or we hang seperatly!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Funny thing about this area of PA is it is full of ex MDers, and current MD people who shop there, and not ONCE have I heard of any issue with open carry other than a Walmart manager who didn't know any better ( 4 years ago), and some local cop who said he didn't like it, but as far as I know he never actually heckled anyone over it. Now the current SRPD chief is a buddy of some sort with a guy who OC's all the time ( incidently the same guy told to leave the Walmart 4 years ago LOL). You could OC in groups all the time in that area and at most some local raised fudd would probably end up the possible troublemaker. For fun, OC to the nail salon in the shopping center where the Goodwill is. LOL- ok maybe not- one of the owners looked a lil freaked when 6 people were OCing at the Starbucks and he noticed. Then this OC group went to eat at a place right by the nail salon just as he was coming back LOL. Last time I saw him outside on his phone he was seriously staring at me. Ok, for fun, OC at the Goodwill- seriously. I bet you get some funny looks, and maybe one of the batty people will comment. You might get the shoplifters they have problems with all the time to scoot out.

OCers are welcome at Nikolas Cafe btw, same shopping center as the Goodwill. If you like jewelers that CC and shoot armed robbers, try the local one -Alexander's- right there nearby on Main st. I don't know how he would be on open carry though. For guns, go to Gun Bunker on E Forrest ave. Avoid Flowers by Lainey- they are antis, and they are hypocrites to boot. Someone from there shot a groundhog right there in town behind the store last year. Idiots.

Walter

May 23, 2010
    Even worse are the self-proclaimed "pro-2A" folks who believe it's perfectly fine for police to stop, detain and demand ID from OCers for no reason at all. And when OCers refuse to hand over their papers to the police, they are apparently assholes, douchebags, or attention seeking drama queens for standing firm in exercising their rights.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Even worse are the self-proclaimed "pro-2A" folks who believe it's perfectly fine for police to stop, detain and demand ID from OCers for no reason at all. And when OCers refuse to hand over their papers to the police, they are apparently assholes, douchebags, or attention seeking drama queens for standing firm in exercising their rights.

:thumbsup:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Don't forget that OCers are ruining it for the rest of gun owners and are a bunch of attention whores.

Yea, you attention whores how dare you exercise your rights and make some one feel uneasy. My god! those founding father people just fought a war gave up their homes,farms,livelyhood, had family killed just so you would not have to worry about someone getting the willies when you see me with a 1911 on my hip in walmart!

my rights do not end when you want to wet your pants and run like a frenchmen from a thunder storm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom