• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Frank

Feb 2, 2009
    Kent Island Maryland
    Anybody get this magazine? Just received an advertisement saying they do gun test on all sorts of firearms and an annual Buying Guide. Just curious if it’s worth the $20 a year Thanks

case XX

Jun 19, 2008
    AA County
    Anybody get this magazine? Just received an advertisement saying they do gun test on all sorts of firearms and an annual Buying Guide. Just curious if it’s worth the $20 a year Thanks

Yep, been a subscriber for a dozen years or more so I obviously feel it's worth the cost. Good magazine they buy all their test guns and accept no advertising so they have no issues telling you not to buy a guy because of problems they had in testing. Sometimes the testing can be a bit over specific and they may recommend one gun over another because it fit better into the test category rather than because it was the better gun. But you can determine that based on reading the article rather than just looking at the grade.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've heard of the mag...my uncle subscribes so they come along to me. As was stated earlier, the magazine gives an objective view rather than them be some fluff piece.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Yep, been a subscriber for a dozen years or more so I obviously feel it's worth the cost. Good magazine they buy all their test guns and accept no advertising so they have no issues telling you not to buy a guy because of problems they had in testing. Sometimes the testing can be a bit over specific and they may recommend one gun over another because it fit better into the test category rather than because it was the better gun. But you can determine that based on reading the article rather than just looking at the grade.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: ditto

case XX

Jun 19, 2008
    AA County
    I keep waiting for them to come back with the lifetime subscription deal they did around 1999. If I recall correctly it was like $650 for a H&K USP and a lifetime subscription. It was poor timing money wise for me when they did it last time, I could have made it happen but passed and have kicked myself for it ever since. I might have to contact them and recommend they do something like that again.

Capt Frank if you want to PM me your email I can send you a pdf of an article or two so you can get an idea how they conduct their testing. I would post a couple of pics in the thread but I am pretty sure that would violate the forum copyright policies.

Capt Frank

Feb 2, 2009
    Kent Island Maryland
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been a member for some time ,but this is the first time seeking advice. I knew from reading all the post in the past that I would get the straight info on this .

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I subscribe too. They are basically the "Consumer Reports" of firearms. Pretty good and unbiased assessments compared to shiny gun rags which are basically paid advertising (never a bad review). These guys actually flunk guns from time to time but are brutally honest about why, and how it could be fixed.

They cover a lot of different kinds of guns, which is great, but sometimes there will be months that go by where what they review is not in my interest zone. However I do find myself going back a year or two and digging up reviews on weapons I am newly interested in. I wish they had a better website with archives.

They also test ammo, optics and other equipment every once in a while. Totally worth the subscription cost IMO.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Well worth the yearly subscription cost.

Informative, unbiased and willing to come back and test again based on changing factors (ie consumer input, more options on ammo).

Everyone is right. No advertising makes for a better rag.

taidickerson

Sep 26, 2009
    Annapolis
    Very good magazine. I have bought my last two guns based on their recommendation. Of course I made sure the rifle fit me, but their recommendation put me on the path. I really like the no advertising thing. I get really sick and tired of magazines pimping gear because they are getting paid. I used to really trust Eastman's, but they seem to be chasing the money too now.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I subscribe too. They are basically the "Consumer Reports" of firearms. Pretty good and unbiased assessments compared to shiny gun rags which are basically paid advertising (never a bad review). These guys actually flunk guns from time to time but are brutally honest about why, and how it could be fixed.

They cover a lot of different kinds of guns, which is great, but sometimes there will be months that go by where what they review is not in my interest zone. However I do find myself going back a year or two and digging up reviews on weapons I am newly interested in. I wish they had a better website with archives.

They also test ammo, optics and other equipment every once in a while. Totally worth the subscription cost IMO.

That's my only complaint, (bold above). I've only gotten it for 9 months, so it's to be expected.

I like it that there's not an ad right next to the review of the gun...that just kills any trust.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Wait, I have another complaint...

ALL magazines start telling you to re-up about 3-4 months into your subscription. I just got one today from Gun Test...maybe it's the 4th or 5 one I've gotten and it's not due until September.

Back when I wasn't unaware of that I would re-up every time they mailed a reminder that, "your subscription expires soon". Well, when I stopped subscribing to Bicycling and Mountain Bike magazines they kept coming for a couple more years. That's how far ahead I was.

Now I keep track in my 'puter calendar and I know when things are REALLY due.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Wait, I have another complaint...

ALL magazines start telling you to re-up about 3-4 months into your subscription. I just got one today from Gun Test...maybe it's the 4th or 5 one I've gotten and it's not due until September.

Back when I wasn't unaware of that I would re-up every time they mailed a reminder that, "your subscription expires soon". Well, when I stopped subscribing to Bicycling and Mountain Bike magazines they kept coming for a couple more years. That's how far ahead I was.

Now I keep track in my 'puter calendar and I know when things are REALLY due.

I had the same thing with Gun Tests. Just last month I sent them an email and complained.
    They started sending me renewel notices the same month I receieved my FIRST issue. This has gone on for more than two years, every singe month, so I complained. I told them that I would pay it when it's due and not before. I also told them that it was so irritating that if it did not stop, I was not going to renew when it came due.
    They sent a nice reply and said they will not send me any more until the month before it is due.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I had the same thing with Gun Tests. Just last month I sent them an email and complained.
    They started sending me renewel notices the same month I receieved my FIRST issue. This has gone on for more than two years, every singe month, so I complained. I told them that I would pay it when it's due and not before. I also told them that it was so irritating that if it did not stop, I was not going to renew when it came due.
    They sent a nice reply and said they will not send me any more until the month before it is due.

NRA has done the same thing to me.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom