• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whollemanjr

May 25, 2013
    Lock

I could use a 9mm lock that fits a g-19. If anyone is in the Harford County area I can meet them. Or send them $ to ship. Thanks.

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    Hello all,

First, a question: I've purchased 3 handguns in MD from 3 separate FFLs. All 3 were manufactured after 2002, and all 3 came with cable locks. I was just curious because in some other posts in this thread I've read that cable locks are not MD approved and only bore or chamber locks like the Omega lock are acceptable. If that was true, wouldn't at least one of the 3 FFLs said something about it?

Anyway, if the Omega-type chamber locks are significantly more secure than a cable lock (and from what I've read, they seem to be), I'd be interested in purchasing some Omega-type locks in various calibers (handgun: 9mm, 45acp, 22lr; also 30-06 and 22lr rifle). Is the lock exchange mentioned in this thread intended only for temporary loaners, or is anyone looking to sell/trade permanently? If you are looking to sell or trade locks for any of the calibers mentioned above, could you PM me?

Thanks.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I could use a 9mm lock that fits a g-19. If anyone is in the Harford County area I can meet them. Or send them $ to ship. Thanks.

Hello all,

First, a question: I've purchased 3 handguns in MD from 3 separate FFLs. All 3 were manufactured after 2002, and all 3 came with cable locks. I was just curious because in some other posts in this thread I've read that cable locks are not MD approved and only bore or chamber locks like the Omega lock are acceptable. If that was true, wouldn't at least one of the 3 FFLs said something about it?

Anyway, if the Omega-type chamber locks are significantly more secure than a cable lock (and from what I've read, they seem to be), I'd be interested in purchasing some Omega-type locks in various calibers (handgun: 9mm, 45acp, 22lr; also 30-06 and 22lr rifle). Is the lock exchange mentioned in this thread intended only for temporary loaners, or is anyone looking to sell/trade permanently? If you are looking to sell or trade locks for any of the calibers mentioned above, could you PM me?

Thanks.

Gentlemen...this exchange is for loaning and you can do that by using the living spreadsheet in post #1.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Hello all,

Thanks.

1-they are required unless the gun has a built in lock, as many Smiths and Taurus do
    2-they are no stronger or more efficient than a cable lock, probably less so, but they are part of MD's stupid law. It was Erlich's gift to us as a way of getting around a built in lock as many manufacturer's don't do it. Think Glock for instance. The only thing he did for us. The only point I can see a cable lock being less effective is that some could cut it with bolt cutters but they can get around a bore lock also. Why spend $20+ a $2 cable lock will work as well or better and come with almost any gun.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Need to borrow a .45 cal bore lock. Looking to pick one up between Hunt Valley and Essex.

jimbob301

Mar 19, 2013
    Great idea! I am getting ready to pick up three Springfields and would need to buy two other locks to walk out the door. Yes, the dealer is being a stickler on the barrel locks. Best idea I have heard all week! Kudos.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    This is required under Maryland Law? When my Mom got her Sig in March, she walked out the door with just the cable lock the gun came with from MSAR...

jdsteele

May 21, 2013
    Barts Sports World in Glen Burnie requires you to buy a lock from them for $30 for each purchase or transfer.

You cannot provide your own lock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom