• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    When you live in a neighborhood foxes are cute. When you come home to 4 chickens laying dead around the coop and a fox carrying a bird in his mouth as he walks off through the field foxes are vermin to be shot on sight.

Lol I'm not in a neighborhood. Not good for chickens but should help with varmint control.

The broad daylight fox doesn't sound good though.

FoxHill

Taxidermist in Training
    Jan 19, 2018
    Woodstock, MD
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about rabid foxes, but luckily not encountered any myself. To my knowledge raccoons are the more dangerous disease carriers, but I could easily be mistaken. Out of all the animals I've worked with in wildlife rehab opossums have been my favorite. Those guys seem immune to most diseases and altogether decent, just get blamed a lot for the damage raccoons tend to do.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about rabid foxes, but luckily not encountered any myself. To my knowledge raccoons are the more dangerous disease carriers, but I could easily be mistaken. Out of all the animals I've worked with in wildlife rehab opossums have been my favorite. Those guys seem immune to most diseases and altogether decent, just get blamed a lot for the damage raccoons tend to do.

A lot of foxes acting weird during daytime are because of mange and not rabies. Rabies in foxes is actually pretty rare. Good article on foxes from the Humane Society here: http://www.humanesociety.org/animal...h_foxes.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Do you think this is possible? How much?
    z7XJly0.jpg

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have a couple frozen green skinned red foxes for taxidermy to sell. I have a couple possum skins if you want to practice tanning hides. I may yet still get to trap along a stream and may get some raccoons. If I can use conibears down in there for coons I could get some with no damage. Fox season went out today though in this part of the state. I also have to clean my freezers out, so there's a small beaver that is mountable, a mule deer or Columbian blacktail cape ( not really sure what it is lol), groundhogs that might be freezer burned but could be rehydrated, raccoons wet tanned for mounting, and who knows what else. Plus some spare taxidermy forms ( striper bass, javalina lifesize, some bird bodies, Rhinehart whitetail shoulder forms with eyes installed, and some other stuff. You could bring a big wad of cash and come here and go through them with me. I currently have a buttload of red fox skulls uncleaned. I normally give them all to someone who cleans and sells them, but could give you a couple. I have 8 skinned frozen kit foxes ( vulpes macrotis), all bones but the claws are there, and in perfect condition. 20.00 each. I can get some fresh whole groundhogs in another month or so, not blown up by a bullet either.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Foxtrapper: You'd like how it is in my area- NE Nebraska. There are beaucoup coyote here that are in molested. Almost as many as are in the protected APG area. LOL!
    I'm getting ready to start hunting them and may team up with another guy I met this fall.

Question though: I saw on a video that you have to be careful with fleas that are on a coyote you kill. How do you avoid getting them on you or your clothes when you skin them?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have never had any issues with fleas on foxes and coons, nor the small # of coyotes. They simply do not jump on me and bite me. Domestic cat and dog fleas on the other hand...

You can spray a garbage bag with raid and then place the yote in it an seal the bag for a few hours, then get it out to skin. Something trappers have told me. I've never tried it.

Foxtrapper: You'd like how it is in my area- NE Nebraska. There are beaucoup coyote here that are in molested. Almost as many as are in the protected APG area. LOL!
    I'm getting ready to start hunting them and may team up with another guy I met this fall.

Question though: I saw on a video that you have to be careful with fleas that are on a coyote you kill. How do you avoid getting them on you or your clothes when you skin them?

FoxHill

Taxidermist in Training
    Jan 19, 2018
    Woodstock, MD
    Hi - just bumping this up a little in case anyone has anything they'd be willing to part with. I'm interested in just about anything, so feel free to hit me up.

Groundhogs are starting to pop up around my area. I'm in Montgomery County if you don't mind the drive. When I get some I'll let you know, otherwise they just get dumped back down the hole.

It's a shame this wasn't about 15 years ago. We had a rabies incident and wiped out about 30-35 foxes and raccoons in one summer because of that, unhealthy foxes only. Currently I've only been seeing healthy foxes, include a female with a den behind my house that's been there for years and had several litters.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Do you want any woodchucks to work on? I could put them in a cooler on ice for a day or so until you pick em up.
    I'm in Northeast Carroll County about a hour from Woodstock.
    I lived in Granite/ Woodstock years ago.
    Going to try to go out tomorrow with a .223.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I saved some fox skulls ( uncleaned) for you, plus still have 8 kit foxes ( vulpes macrotis) for skeletons ( missing only the claws) for 20.00 each. Also buttloads of mountable red foxes and some raccoons. Can still get some whole groundhogs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom