• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    Looking for recommendations of guided hog hunts, preferably either within driving distance of North Eastern MD or in Florida.

My brother is getting married in June, and I’d like to take him hog hunting for his bachelor party. Not being an avid hunter myself, I’m a little lost as to where I should start. I’m nervous searching for places online, because it can be very difficult to determine whether or not you’re going on a canned/ fenced-in hunt (which we would NOT want). The ideal scenario would be hunting private land where the hogs are a nuisance.

My brother’s inlaws are in Florida, so if we’re going to have to make a hike, that would be the place to go. There would also be a few guys attending that aren’t gung-ho hunters, so having a nice lodge to hang out in or hunting near a town with things to do would be ideal.

I don’t expect anyone to plan the trip for me, but if you’ve had a good experience I’d love to hear about it to get me started in the right direction!

Thanks!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The HUGE sportsman's show is coming up next month in Harrisburg, PA. There will be a lot of guides there so I would give that a go. You can talk to many of them and see which ones fit your need.

Sorry, the outfitter I did a hog hunt with years ago closed up so can't help directly.

Figure out what you want. Being put in a stand and shooting them over feed with a rifle isn't of interest to me so we hunted on the ground with pistols. Harder but much more of a hunt.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Jager pro in GA is a legit outfit and I have buddies who keep going back to Okeechobee outfitters in FL so they must be doing something right.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    The HUGE sportsman's show is coming up next month in Harrisburg, PA. There will be a lot of guides there so I would give that a go. You can talk to many of them and see which ones fit your need.

Sorry, the outfitter I did a hog hunt with years ago closed up so can't help directly.

Figure out what you want. Being put in a stand and shooting them over feed with a rifle isn't of interest to me so we hunted on the ground with pistols. Harder but much more of a hunt.

Definitely want to hunt on the ground, potentially with dogs. I’d love to break out my Glock 40 (10mm) for that. Thanks for the heads-up about the sportsman’s show! I’ll check out Okeechobee as well.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Definitely want to hunt on the ground, potentially with dogs. I’d love to break out my Glock 40 (10mm) for that. Thanks for the heads-up about the sportsman’s show! I’ll check out Okeechobee as well.

I used a Glock 20 with extended factory barrel back in the day. Cleanly took a 300+lb hog so the 10mm will do it well.

Brother went to hunt in FL and they chase, grab them by the hind legs and stab them. If he wasn't my Brother I would NOT have believed that but seems to be the way there.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I used a Glock 20 with extended factory barrel back in the day. Cleanly took a 300+lb hog so the 10mm will do it well.

Brother went to hunt in FL and they chase, grab them by the hind legs and stab them. If he wasn't my Brother I would NOT have believed that but seems to be the way there.
    Son killed a 200#+ hog with a knife. Dogs found hog. Dogs caught hog. Son flipped and stabbed hog...couple times.

Not for Dad.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    When I was a kid I used to shoot them in a pen with a .22 and then hop into the muck and stab them. I'm a million times meaner now but also a little smarter. Think I would do that with a 38 to the head and then bleed them.

Depends on how much "fun" you want it to be :D

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Anyone have any recommendations for hunts around Austin? Turns out I may be going down there next month, and will have two days to kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom