• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    It's a shame that VEPR's will no longer be imported. With Kalashnikov Concern being sanctioned on the first go round, Molot was the only source for quality made Russian sporter AK's. I assume no one here is concerned since all previous post in this thread are regarding Wolf ammo, which is not affected. However, prices for the now banned VEPR rifles will skyrocket once they dry up. At this point only a few models are available but it will not be long until they are gone.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Yea, you're not going to find one below $850. Classic has them in stock. Picked one up myself.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    God help you if you're looking for a rifle, though.

The only one I REALLY wish I'd snagged was a 7.62x39 to go with the 5.45 I panic bought.

I believe the ones that will be collectable will be the 6.5,54R and 30-06 ( wish I had bought one saw someone with a MG-15 trench mag it was sick)

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I bought a 16" 54r back before Sandyhook. Paid $650 shipped. That was also when surplus ammo was $150 per 880 crate. Stacked 'em deep.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Also, Wolf Performance Ammo is an American company that imports ammo. I don believe the Russians even use the Wolf brand name.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Check out CSSpecs. They have steel 10 rounders available that work flawless for me.

Ditto to that. My gun had the dish chamfered bolt, and it took me about 15 minutes to half file the edge down to what CS specs recommended. Since then, I've had far more issues with the Molot mags than I've had with my CS specs ones.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Check out CSSpecs. They have steel 10 rounders available that work flawless for me.
    My polymer SGM mags work fine after some break-in... the real issue is that there are no double stack mags, which greatly limits the VEPR 54R's utility in the real world. Yes, rimmed and then double-stack-to-single-feed makes designing that sort of mag harder, but I'm just stating the facts of the situation. You have much better options in .308, and the cut-off of most surplus ammo has basically put 54r in a very similar situation to 5.45x39.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, this is a bad time to get into 54R. You want to buy a VEPR 54R as an investment, that's sensible, but as a shooter, that ship has sailed.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Bought my x39 VEPR about a month or so ago. Gu at the shop mentioned that the sanction "MAY" happen. I know that can sometime be a tactic to sell more stuff, but I gave in and bought it anyway just in case. Unfortunately he was correct and I luckily have one.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Bought my x39 VEPR about a month or so ago. Gu at the shop mentioned that the sanction "MAY" happen. I know that can sometime be a tactic to sell more stuff, but I gave in and bought it anyway just in case. Unfortunately he was correct and I luckily have one.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a surprise to me. I'd heard about the Molot bankruptcy a couple months or so and how a merger with Kalashnikov Concern with a resulting ban was more or less inevitable. I bought my Vepr 12 around then, because I loved my 54R and had always wanted one. By the time the ban was actually announced, the only Vepr I felt like I really was missing was a 5.45 example.

As to the great 54R vs 308 debate, there are plenty of other interesting battle rifles in 308 that slip through the MD ban cracks and are just as (in) accurate as the Vepr, for about the same price. The CETME, for one, springs to mind. You could also get an AR-10 for Vepr 308 money, and have far more customization potential.

For me, the allure of the 54R was having a full-power AK that shot an authentically Russian full power cartridge, not to mention the novelty of owning the poor man's SVD. It also helps that 54R is a much more "lively" round to shoot than 308 in anything short of a scar with a brake. So while it might not be as cheap to shoot as it used to be, so long as it's even a little cheaper than 308, I don't really care, because I have so much fun shooting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom