Recommended M1 Carbine appraiser in central MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I bought a sweet M1 Carbine a while back and I would like to find out whether it has significant historical value or instead is just a shooter. No interest in selling; I just want to know what I have. Willing to compensate an expert's time.

Honestly, I am hoping for the latter. I don't want to besmirch a historically valuable rifle by putting on a scout rail, change stock, etc.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean, I’d start with looking up the serial number and manufacturer. A small amount of digging can give you how many each manufacturer made and what month and year corresponds to your serial. Odds are good it isn’t any more valuable than most other M1 carbine and there are millions of them, unless you think there is something out of the ordinary about it, like it appearing to be an actual paratrooper stock.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I mean, I’d start with looking up the serial number and manufacturer. A small amount of digging can give you how many each manufacturer made and what month and year corresponds to your serial. Odds are good it isn’t any more valuable than most other M1 carbine and there are millions of them, unless you think there is something out of the ordinary about it, like it appearing to be an actual paratrooper stock.

I have a couple of resources to check out, but sometimes determining what's "matching" - or not - is a challenge. It's in an ordinary wood stock, so that's not a concern.

As a frame of reference, I know I have something historically valuable in my "Bavarian Return" NPM, and I wouldn't mod that. I'm just trying to confirm I'm not committing a similar crime against history by augmenting the Underwood...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Carbines are a specialty all their own...more than ten manufacturers, different stocks (folding, original design or "pot belly" type, I-cut), flip sights or adjustable, push-button safety or flip-safety, bayonet lug, flat- vs. round-bolt, low-cut vs. high-cut hand guard, etc. Most Carbines will fall into the government arsenal update type but completely originals are out there. There's also those that have been made "correct" by previous owners but still not original.

Carbines with DCM or CMP paperwork tend to be worth more than an import with the importer's mark stamped on it. I have the Quality Hardware Carbine my dad bought through the NRA back in the 1960s with its paperwork...he paid a princely sum of $17.50 + $2.50 postage. I also have an IBM Carbine with the "AO" mark which was made under subcontract for them by Auto-Ordnance.

Do some reading on them and learn as much as you can. M1 Carbines is every bit as much of a specialty as collecting GI 1911 pistols and can be just as bewildering.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have the M1 Carbine Owner's Guide in front of me, but I don't trust myself to accurately evaluate its provenance. The CMP forum is not a bad idea at all.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Head over to the CMP Forum and go to the M1 Carbine section. There are some true experts over there. Don't worry they don't bite.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/

CMP bites though (I am saying half jokingly). I saw a couple of people post Garand order updates a few days ago that they mailed 3/12 and were getting theirs and now the last couple of days people have been posting on mailing 3/9 and just now getting DBU emails.

I mailed mine 3/19. So I may have a couple more weeks to wait, hopefully with one in hand and not a couple more weeks to even hear a peep.

I am/was hoping to have it before I have eye surgery 5/10, but it is looking like if I do, it’ll be too close to it for me to have time to get to the range. If after that’ll suck as I probably won’t be able to do more than sign for it and put it in the safe till almost the end of May before I’ll be able to even strip it down and oogle it appropriately.

:sad20:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Head over to the CMP Forum and go to the M1 Carbine section. There are some true experts over there. Don't worry they don't bite.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/

This is what I did and would do again.

ID what you have (type of stock, type of rear sight, etc), and post.

But most all carbines have been arsenal reworked, so a mix of parts.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    CMP bites though (I am saying half jokingly). I saw a couple of people post Garand order updates a few days ago that they mailed 3/12 and were getting theirs and now the last couple of days people have been posting on mailing 3/9 and just now getting DBU emails.

I mailed mine 3/19. So I may have a couple more weeks to wait, hopefully with one in hand and not a couple more weeks to even hear a peep.

I am/was hoping to have it before I have eye surgery 5/10, but it is looking like if I do, it’ll be too close to it for me to have time to get to the range. If after that’ll suck as I probably won’t be able to do more than sign for it and put it in the safe till almost the end of May before I’ll be able to even strip it down and oogle it appropriately.

:sad20:

If you had been buying from them and their predecessor back when waits were 6 months or a year you would not complain today. It will come and you will enjoy it for many years.;)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    M1s are tricky but far from rocket science, the factors that will drive big prices are:

- Maker (e.g., Rockola + vs Inland -). Irwin Pederson is the holy grail.
    - Features early features such as no bayo lug, flip site and pushbutton safeties bring premiums. Except for the rarest manufacturer most post ware rebuilds with their bayo lugs and slide sites will be priced between $800 and $1200. Get one that's pre-rebuild and WWII accurate you are talking $1200 to $2000.
    - Subcontractors such as AO, Singer etc will make some difference.
    - History this comes down to documents, papers, provenance.
    - Even the lowest grade USGI carbine will sell for greater than $700.

Other than that USGI carbines are a pretty mixed bag but track within a fairly standard range of prices. No shortage of them, that's for sure, but they are disappearing deeper into collections.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    No need to host them. Use the picture icon to upload them to your post.

what sorcery is this? When I click on the picture icon, I'm prompted to enter a URL. However, it may be that attachments work okay. Let me know if other elements might be significant. left side profile.jpg

right side profile.jpg

rear sight and SN.jpg

cartouche.jpg

trigger group.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I mean the parkerizing looks like it could use a little oil, but looks great otherwise.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight means it is either a very late one, or arsenal reworked.

Original ones did not have the bayonet provision and had a flip over L rear sight.

Not that this is bad.

But again, I would post, with pictures, over on CMP Forum M1 Carbine section.

They will give you a good idea of what it is worth.

I was happy, they came back in the $1K plus range, for the one I picked up for $800, with accessories, so mags, ammo, and spare parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom