• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Just pulled the trigger (heh) on an 8.5" barreled upper from PSA. Anyone think a SPARC is good for a 300AAC pistol, or should I just get some BUIS?

The SPARC is a great site for an AR pistol. I run one on my 8.5" .300BLK SBR, actually. They're small, lightweight, and quick.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    I have read most of this long post and it is very interesting, nice builds. What I have gathered from it is:
    Ar 15 .223 pistols built with 80% lowers are legal in Maryland if/and
    1. They use a brace and Not a stock. Brace can now be shouldered.
    2. They are under 26 in total length?
    3. They have No VFG
    4. They Do not need a heavy barrel for .223
    5. They do not exceed 10 rd. capacity.
    Not sure on point 2 and 3, need clarification. I just don't want to be almost correct.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have read most of this long post and it is very interesting, nice builds. What I have gathered from it is:
    Ar 15 .223 pistols built with 80% lowers are legal in Maryland

Yes.

1. They use a brace and Not a stock. Brace can now be shouldered.

Yes. If you want to use a stock, you need to register it as an SBR with the attendant paperwork and taxes.

2. They are under 26 in total length?

Even if they are over 26" it's still fine. 26" is the magic line for becoming a "firearm: instead of just a pistol.

3. They have No VFG

Correct. You can have a VFG on a "firearm," but not on a "pistol."

4. They Do not need a heavy barrel for .223

Correct.

5. They do not exceed 10 rd. capacity.

Incorrect. There is no capacity limit for an AR pistol in MD. You can not buy magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds here, but having them is perfectly legal and you can purchase them out of state and bring them here.

The capacity thing for pistols is that any pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds is a banned assault pistol. So unless you build an AR pistol with a non-removable magazine, this doesn't matter.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    So question as someone building their first AR pistol. I noticed that several photos in this thread show the muzzle device either fully or partially within the handguard (posts #9 and #51). Googling this setup results in several articles saying not to do this because it can damage the handguard and cause injury to the user.

I’m looking at a 10.5” barrel with a 12.28” handguard, muzzle device puts the OAL of barrel at 12.25” which leaves the handguard extending past the muzzle by like 1.5mm. It’s a 300BLK build if that affects the answer. My thinking was a suppressor should fit within the end of the handguard and would result in a shorter appearance (similar to post #147). The muzzle device I planned on using until I get the suppressor is a VG6 GAMMA 300BLK.

Is this safe to do or not?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So question as someone building their first AR pistol. I noticed that several photos in this thread show the muzzle device either fully or partially within the handguard (posts #9 and #51). Googling this setup results in several articles saying not to do this because it can damage the handguard and cause injury to the user.

I’m looking at a 10.5” barrel with a 12.28” handguard, muzzle device puts the OAL of barrel at 12.25” which leaves the handguard extending past the muzzle by like 1.5mm. It’s a 300BLK build if that affects the answer. My thinking was a suppressor should fit within the end of the handguard and would result in a shorter appearance (similar to post #147). The muzzle device I planned on using until I get the suppressor is a VG6 GAMMA 300BLK.

Is this safe to do or not?

Those are all muzzle devices made to direct muzzle blast forward(of the shooter). They are safe. Never have any muzzle device end INSIDE your handguard. You can suffer devastating consequences.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Those are all muzzle devices made to direct muzzle blast forward(of the shooter). They are safe. Never have any muzzle device end INSIDE your handguard. You can suffer devastating consequences.

Ok that makes sense and lines up with what I read elsewhere. So it looks like I need to go with something like a Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor since it would direct the blast forward and when I figure in it’s length extends past the end of the handguard by just under 1.5” inches which would make it safe.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    300BLK 2.jpg

300BLK, 8.5" bbl, Surefire Warden diverter. Someday it will be canned; meanwhile it's socially responsible.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Very nice Bob A. Just be sure your can will specifically handle an 8.5" barrel. Things get pretty critical at that length.

Sure hope it can.

It's got the SLR adjustable gas block, per Chad. What do I need to be aware of? (I'd figured on a Surefire can, and of course their muzzle device is already installed.)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Responding to Outrider's suggestion I queried Surefire about the feasibility of suppressing my build. Their response:
    Hi Robert,

We have shot 300blk on a 5.5 in barrel with no issues. With your set-up you should be fine. We would recommend a bore alignment rod to ensure concentricity.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Responding to Outrider's suggestion I queried Surefire about the feasibility of suppressing my build. Their response:

I have such a rod. When the time comes, I'd be glad to check bore alignment for you once you get set up. I'm in MoCo. :thumbsup:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have such a rod. When the time comes, I'd be glad to check bore alignment for you once you get set up. I'm in MoCo. :thumbsup:

Thank you.

I rec'd an addendum from Surefire this morning:
    If you are shooting anything other than 300BLK, with the SOCOM 300SPS, such as 5.56 we usually recommend a min barrel length of 10.5 in.

Included here for the record.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you.

I rec'd an addendum from Surefire this morning:

Included here for the record.
    That's good to know because I use my .30 YHM on some of my 5.56. My YHM is not rated for anything shorter than 10" no matter the caliber.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom