• ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    My permit just came in today. Here is what I did:
    Initial submission included:
    - a G&S statement explaining why it is important in the conduct of my business to be able to defend myself to include the impact on the public if my equipment was stolen (I'm a firearms instructor and security consultant)
    - DD214
    - Copy of my MDSP HQL and W&C instructor certificate
    - Articles of incorporation
    - 10 invoices for the business
    - P&L statement from the business

During the interview, I was respectful and candid with the inspector. I answered all of his questions and did not get defensive. During the face to face interview, he asked for the following in a single PDF:

- Class rosters of my last two HQL classes
    - A copy of my 2017 Schedule C showing my business name, gross, and net earnings
    - Two recent bank statements from my business highlighting business deposits and charges
    - Two receipts from business related purchases

That's it. Three weeks after I sent the inspector the supplemental info, my permit came. I didn't try to game the system, threaten to bring my lawyer to a review board hearing, or anything like that.
    So yo have a restricted permit?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So yo have a restricted permit?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Yes. I think that the vast majority of them start as restricted. The permit arrives with two forms, one for an informal review and one for an HPRB hearing. I filled them both in and immediately put them in the mail. I included a brief statement with the informal review form as to why I believe my restrictions should be lifted.

bobwilley

MD Wear/Carry Permit G19
    Feb 4, 2018
    Delmarva Peninsula
    If they make you go in for a face to face, where do you have to go. That in of itself is a friken PITA and should be tossed out as unconsititional.

"Hey you want to carry, take off work, lose a days pay and come talk to us, then we will think about giving you one...":tdown:
    I had to a FTF at the Easton barracks, which luckily for me, is only about 4 miles from my house.
    Had about an hour in person Interview, very cordial, professional, and went well.
    I submitted mine in July 2017 and got my W&C Handgun Permit in Nov 2017. I am a business.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The Trooper doing my background check sent me an email about 10 days shy of the 90 day period, telling me it was time to coordinate on the face-to-face part of the process. He works out Frederick, but saw I was in lower MoCo, and asked if meeting him at the nearby Montrose barracks would help. I took him up on that, because it's close by. We spent probably 30 minutes in the formal part of the background once-over, and then he wandered out to the parking lot with me so he could get in a quick chat with my wife (since she was there, hanging with the dog and reading a book - Trooper was happy to say hi in person rather than do that part with her over the phone). We ended up chatting for another 20 minutes, about bird dogs. My other personal references received their brief phone calls within a week of my sit down meeting.

After another 10 days, I got an email from another Trooper with the LD in Reisterstown, asking for some more paperwork to further establish some business details. Had that to him within 48 hours, and I had the (typically restricted) permit physically in hand perhaps a week later. Enclosed were the review and board hearing request forms. That went out in the mail (priority mail, for tracking purposes) the next day. Months later, still haven't heard back from the HPRB on when I'll have a hearing, though that's apparently the usual experience. From what I'm seeing in others' anecdotes, I'll probably be August or so for my hearing.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012
    "As of October 1, 2013, all new applicants must successfully
    complete required firearms training within two years, prior
    to submitting the application. All renewal applicants must
    successfully complete the training within two years, prior to
    submitting the application."

Does this mean we have to take the 16 hour training before submitting an application?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    "As of October 1, 2013, all new applicants must successfully
    complete required firearms training within two years, prior
    to submitting the application. All renewal applicants must
    successfully complete the training within two years, prior to
    submitting the application."

Does this mean we have to take the 16 hour training before submitting an application?

Yup.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That said, if you think you have a better than even chance of showing G&S, take the class, and make it a multi-permit course. It’s educational regardless.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012
    Oh yeah I will for sure, I just dug out my OPM data breach notification, hoping to have luck with that as others have.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012
    So I was planning on building a G19 for fun, if I get approved I would love to carry it. I can't find any Maryland info, can we carry a polymer80 that we build ourselves or is there a serial number requirement for CCW?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So I was planning on building a G19 for fun, if I get approved I would love to carry it. I can't find any Maryland info, can we carry a polymer80 that we build ourselves or is there a serial number requirement for CCW?

Your MD carry permit isn't tied to any particular weapon. As long as the handgun is legally possessed, you're good. That said, I'd personally avoid carrying a home-built pistol. In the highly unlikely circumstance of your ever having to defend yourself with it, an opportunistic prosecutor or civil lawyer going after your assets could point that out to a jury as a sure sign of gun nuttery. Doesn't mean it's rational, just that it's a lever by which to try to paint you as being all about the gun hobby, instead of about your self defense. This is Maryland - you are already a bad guy when you seek to carry.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Your MD carry permit isn't tied to any particular weapon. As long as the handgun is legally possessed, you're good. That said, I'd personally avoid carrying a home-built pistol. In the highly unlikely circumstance of your ever having to defend yourself with it, an opportunistic prosecutor or civil lawyer going after your assets could point that out to a jury as a sure sign of gun nuttery. Doesn't mean it's rational, just that it's a lever by which to try to paint you as being all about the gun hobby, instead of about your self defense. This is Maryland - you are already a bad guy when you seek to carry.

This.

In fact, carry a mainstream pistol with a factory trigger and the same ammo selected by your jurisdictions LEOs.

shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    The modification of my carry was never even a thought when I was in AZ, it's so sad that it's necessary to go to that level of restriction here if one ever manages to get a permit.

hap_hazzard

Dec 30, 2015
    Restrictions Appeal - MSI? Other?

Good Evening All,

I found myself amongst those lucky enough to get a permission slip to exercise the right of self protection. There is what I consider an odd restriction. My wear and carry permit is only valid if I remain employed with my current employer. I listed two reasons on my app - Clearance (and OPM Breach) and death threats resulting from reporting an attack on my daughter. Given the restriction, I go not think they took the latter into consideration. The former is odd because in theory I could move on to another position in the company and no longer need the clearance or more likely, those of you fellow contractors out there will understand, I can work at the same place with the same government client but for another company if the contract is awarded to a different company.

My question is this, I've read that MSI will help members with appeals. Is that correct? If so how does one start that process with MSI?

Please PM me if you have direct knowledge. Given the circumstance with my daughter, I do not want to go into great detail here in the forum. Also, it looks like the board meetings are recorded and put online --- my daughter would be mortified, is there a closed door segment?

Thank you in advance

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Disclosure up front, I am a member of MSI. The process starts with you joining, if you go to the web site (marylandhsallissue.org) look at the list of options across the top and click on JOIN. You will get an email confirmation, then you can reply that you want help with your permit and someone will get in touch with you.

I have heard the MSP say that a reason for considering your job instead of the threat against you is that if the scumbag goes to jail, moves out of the area, or one of his gangbanger buddies kills him then your reason for exercising your rights also goes away and you loose your permit. They say you are more likely to remain in your job, so they are doing you a favor, don't you see, by using that as your justification for having a fundamental human right. Total BS, but standard procedure for MSP. Plus, by you having a work related permit the MSP can put restrictions on it thereby keeping everyone in Maryland SO much safer. (Now where did I put that ... oh, here it is :sarcasm:)

The hearings are open to the public under Maryland's Open Meetings law, but if you already have a permit the board will give you the option of having your hearing in closed session. If it is at all possible, I would urge you to attend at least a couple of the hearings (100 Community Place, Crownsville, 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month, 6 PM) to observe first hand how the hearings are conducted. You will learn a LOT about what works and what doesn't, how/what to say, and possibly most important when to stop talking.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Good Evening All,

I found myself amongst those lucky enough to get a permission slip to exercise the right of self protection. There is what I consider an odd restriction. My wear and carry permit is only valid if I remain employed with my current employer. I listed two reasons on my app - Clearance (and OPM Breach) and death threats resulting from reporting an attack on my daughter. Given the restriction, I go not think they took the latter into consideration. The former is odd because in theory I could move on to another position in the company and no longer need the clearance or more likely, those of you fellow contractors out there will understand, I can work at the same place with the same government client but for another company if the contract is awarded to a different company.

My question is this, I've read that MSI will help members with appeals. Is that correct? If so how does one start that process with MSI?

Please PM me if you have direct knowledge. Given the circumstance with my daughter, I do not want to go into great detail here in the forum. Also, it looks like the board meetings are recorded and put online --- my daughter would be mortified, is there a closed door segment?

Thank you in advance

Read through the numerous threads here. Your circumstances are identical to many here. You should join MSI, but you don't really need them. Apply to the HPRB to get your restrictions lifted. The board is removing restrictions for most now. The restrictions are too vague, and no LE agency in the state has definitive guidance on how to interpret them. Apparently there's not even a definition of "conducting business". Further, your point about contractors moving around is valid and very common. I know several people who worked the same job for years but got paychecks from multiple companies.
    I just found this video from last summer. The applicant is the VP of MSI and has similar circumstances to you.

Is the 12 year old the lawyer everyone refers to as JV? That guy can't say his name without touching everything on the desk. So annoying. Also, who's the grumpy guy who objects to everything? Seems like he's personally offended that anyone has the audacity to want a W&C permit.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Is the 12 year old the lawyer everyone refers to as JV? That guy can't say his name without touching everything on the desk. So annoying. Also, who's the grumpy guy who objects to everything? Seems like he's personally offended that anyone has the audacity to want a W&C permit.

:lol::lol::lol2::lol:

header.jpg

Yes, the 12 yr old is indeed AAG Ben Legum, affectionately and accurately referred to here as JV Lawyer. He is no longer assigned to the HPRB.

The grumpy old fart is AAG Marc Bowen who is assigned to the MSP LD and is Frosh's thumb on the scale over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom