• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Bought a Sig 226 back in August. Everything has been fine but last week when I was shooting started having problems. My magazine was coming out while shooting .it was like the recoil ejected the magazine.it didn’t fall out but would come unlocked shall we say and not feed. Very aggravating. Have 2 magazines and happened with both. Put empty mag in tried pulling on it (not prying) and it didn’t come out . Loaded , pulled it didn’t come out . Shot mag came out . Didn’t happen every time every round but I couldn’t get through a magazine without it happening 2 or 3 times. Run my guns wet but not dripping . Got home cleaned heck out of it to get oil off / out. Haven’t shot again maybe tomorrow to see if it happens again . Very disappointing. Saved for awhile to get this ,wanted something nice . Have my ole Ruger p89 and never had an issue . Any ideas / suggestions. Bad spring? Put about 1500 through it so far I shouldn’t be having issues .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I can’t say the lube is related to your issue, but these sigs runs best packed with grease not oil. Metal on metal. The sig forum has a sticky re the lube. Wonder if its not running as smooth as it could. I have a 226 ( same gun since 1999) and a 220 and have not had this problem. Someone will come along and know what the issue is. Hope younget it right. They are excellent pistols and sorry to hear about your issue.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Two different pistols of mine have needed replacement magazine catches. One was old, the other new. Both did the same thing - drop the magazine every time I fired. Send it back and make Sig fix it.

Or if it's used, track down a new magazine release, and a fresh spring while you've got it apart.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Take the two that are giving you trouble and field strip them, they make dirt, mud, or old lube/grease build up. Check the followers for any damage and spring breakage or bends also try them with a less then capacity load. I have been running Sigs since 96 quite a few matches, courses, and just range time and the only time I ever had problems was during a match with mud, that's why I bring lots of magazines. Good Luck, Chris

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    I have a 226 Enhanced Elite, and the slide started not locking back on the last shot in the magazine. Turns out that my grip had moved a little and I was holding the slide release just barely but it was enough that it wouldn't engage on the last shot. Have you adjusted your grip and maybe hitting the mag release a little. Just a thought.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    If it is new have Sig fix it. I'm not a gunsmith, but I would check to see if the Magazine Catch Spring is clean and not worn, this is to include the Magazine Catch, Magazine Catch Stop and Catch Stop Spring. My understanding is your issue is the magazine fails to stay locked into the frame and that the frame is sufficiently tight to prevent the magazine from dropping out on it own when this occurs. Does the magazine come out with any force when you press the magazine catch? Or does it sit there? Does the weapon lock to the rear after the last round each time? I'm not home at the moment but I seem to recall the magazines in both my 226 Legion and M11 tend to come out fair easy with a little force. As others suggested, cleaning the magazine and looking for defects there is another area of concern to check. Do you know anyone that has a P226 magazine you could try? This happening randomly speaks something being worn or or dirty to me. I have never had a problem with my personal (Sig) weapons, nor my duty weapons. Sorry to hear it.

Last edited:

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    It is new ,bought it in August. Magazine comes out when I press catch it does not hang in pistol.almost ejects shall I say. Yes it locks back after last round.i gave it a good cleaning made a point of trying to get down in there although I did not disassemble to the point of taking out /apart magazine catch etc.. with that being said I am torn with the cleaning aspect of pistols . Hear guys say don’t break them down just clean barrel.i have a hard time not cleaning it ,taking slide off ,barrel guide rod, q tipping everything.then putting light coat of Lucas gun oil. Training has me wired to clean a dirty firearm.anyway I am heading to shoot see what happens. Also no I really haven’t changed my grip .i was thinking that also maybe I was hitting it just enough to drop mag. When it does happen magazine does not eject per say more of a drop out a little bit. I really have enjoyed shooting this pistol since I bought it .i wanted the best in my mind.was going to get a beretta but chose the sig. Well I will let you all know what happens . Thanks to all for the insight. I appreciate it .i am pretty knowledgeable but by no means an expert.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Well, I think if you press the magazine release and it almost ejects itself, then I think the magazine have sufficient compression return. So, to me the recoil is affecting something in the Magazine Catch release. I don't mean to be insulting but do you have big hands? Could you be accidentally depressing the catch release? I personally, think it could be a Magazine Catch was machined improperly or the the spring is has gone bad. As it is new, I would call Sig and I'm sure they will fix it quickly for you. When I clean, mine I drop the magazine. I personally, ensure it is unloaded and chamber is clear. I remove the slide as instructions dictate. I then remove the slide, the barrel, Recoil Spring Guide Rod and Recoil Spring. I do not go any further than that and I clean everything in reach, I don't disassemble any further.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    No I don’t have big hands ,(not insulted) I have shot this numerous times since I bought with no issues Just got home from shooting and it was doing it again.guess I am going to find out how there customer service is.this is disappointing. Tex thank you again and everyone else for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom