Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Maryland legal 7.62x39 rifles:

SKS w/ permanently attached magazine
    Vz-58/Vz-2008
    Ruger Mini 30
    SIG-556R- get the 2nd Generation
    SIG-556Rxi
    AR's in 7.62x39- I would go with the LAR like Jimbob said since it uses solid AK mags
    AK pistols as long as they are on the roster
    7.62x39 bolt guns like the CZ 527
    PTR-32 Gen. 1 (G3 rifle in 7.62x39)
    Robinson Arms XCR
    Vz-52 in 7.62x39 (it is like a Czech SKS)

Future 7.62x39 rifle releases:

Galil ACE rifle
    Galil ACE pistol
    Beretta ARX-100
    PTR-32 Gen. 2

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The OP asked about AK rifles, and he lives in MD, so I don't know why people are suggesting AK47's unless it is the IRRATIONAL EXUBERANCE:beer: from the Hogan victory.

In the 7.62x39 vs 300 blackout thread, a guy who actually has an AR 7.62x39 says mags aren't a problem.

What's the difference between an AK rifle and an AK 47? I wouldn't call the Sig an AK.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    What's the difference between an AK rifle and an AK 47? I wouldn't call the Sig an AK.

I am assuming you are going by the MSP banned list.

I would also assume that AK-47=7.62x39 rifle while the Avotmat Kalashnikov listing is supposed to be a catchall for any rifle using AK parts like the AK-74, RPK, PSL, etc.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Maryland legal 7.62x39 rifles:

SKS w/ permanently attached magazine
    Vz-58/Vz-2008
    Ruger Mini 30
    SIG-556R- get the 2nd Generation
    SIG-556Rxi
    AR's in 7.62x39- I would go with the LAR like Jimbob said since it uses solid AK mags
    AK pistols as long as they are on the roster
    7.62x39 bolt guns like the CZ 527
    PTR-32 Gen. 1 (G3 rifle in 7.62x39)
    Robinson Arms XCR

Future 7.62x39 rifle releases:

Galil ACE rifle
    Galil ACE pistol
    Beretta ARX-100
    PTR-32 Gen. 2

What about the CZ 805 Bren which has their multi caliber quick change barrel.
    I hear that it will be available for the civilian market sometime in 2017.

rangerone314

Jan 8, 2012
    Harford County
    7.62x39

( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
    (35) SKS with detachable magazine
    (43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto (Finish version of AK47)

is what I gleaned from the Maryland banned list...

I did not see Ruger Mini 30 listed, so that may have slipped under the radar for the 7.62x39.

(Like the SCAR-17S and AR15 and LR-308 slipped under the radar in .308Win.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms

depending on how close you want to get to an AK, you could also throw on:

(24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    ( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms

I did not see Ruger Mini 30 listed, so that may have slipped under the radar for the 7.62x39.

(Like the SCAR-17S and AR15 and LR-308 slipped under the radar in .308Win.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Glad I got my Arsenal before 10/1 even though I over paid for it.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I have both an SKS and a VZ2008. The SKS was a real value back in the day and without a doubt is a rugged and reliable rifle. But the VZ IMHO has got it beat. Much lighter, more accurate, and takes 30 rd detachable mags. And every thing I seen indicates that the VZ58s from Czechpoint are even better than CAI's VZ2008 version.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    hands down the czechpoints are great. The D-techniks were even better, but many did not have the plate welded onto the bolt carrier.

So damned accurate.

If you can find one, the czechpoint rifles now come with factory barrel with factory original muzzle brake permanently attached by weld bead with bayo lug and bayonet.

Not sure how much they're running now, but if they ever drop below 800 again I'm buying the everloving crap out of them.

Spring for the extra cash and get the ones with the receivers machined for the side rail.

Until I get an AK pistol in 5.56 that takes pmags and can mount an optic, and has a melonited barrel, my D-technik is my bug out rifle.

Super duper pooper light, accurate as I can not even believe, and has never ever malfunctioned on me other than a few dead rounds that had gotten WD-40 into the primers.

You can machine the rifle's receiver yourself, even on a 2008, to accept the side rail, it's just easier to get it done from the factory to assure straight lines true to the bore.

A red dot can always be mounted on the gas tube, but frankly, a ridgid side rail to mount an optic to makes this rifle into something incredible. These rifles are so damned reliable it's scary, and it's mainly because the ejection port is literally the entire middle portion of the receiver since the bolt doubles as dust cover, no chance for a stove pipe, it's crazy. So damned accurate, especially with even halfway decent glass. Just a word of advice, if you mount your optic so that you can still see your irons, you can not use a 25/215 yard zero. Because the plane of the scope is higher, you will have to zero for 40-45 yards. 35 if you JUST BARELY clear the irons.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Your correct, I misquoted the OP who was asking about 7.62x39 rifles
    and not AK rifles per se. None of the rifles in the list above are AK's.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    hands down the czechpoints are great. The D-techniks were even better, but many did not have the plate welded onto the bolt carrier.

So damned accurate.

If you can find one, the czechpoint rifles now come with factory barrel with factory original muzzle brake permanently attached by weld bead with bayo lug and bayonet.

Not sure how much they're running now, but if they ever drop below 800 again I'm buying the everloving crap out of them.

Spring for the extra cash and get the ones with the receivers machined for the side rail.

Until I get an AK pistol in 5.56 that takes pmags and can mount an optic, and has a melonited barrel, my D-technik is my bug out rifle.

Super duper pooper light, accurate as I can not even believe, and has never ever malfunctioned on me other than a few dead rounds that had gotten WD-40 into the primers.

You can machine the rifle's receiver yourself, even on a 2008, to accept the side rail, it's just easier to get it done from the factory to assure straight lines true to the bore.

A red dot can always be mounted on the gas tube, but frankly, a ridgid side rail to mount an optic to makes this rifle into something incredible. These rifles are so damned reliable it's scary, and it's mainly because the ejection port is literally the entire middle portion of the receiver since the bolt doubles as dust cover, no chance for a stove pipe, it's crazy. So damned accurate, especially with even halfway decent glass. Just a word of advice, if you mount your optic so that you can still see your irons, you can not use a 25/215 yard zero. Because the plane of the scope is higher, you will have to zero for 40-45 yards. 35 if you JUST BARELY clear the irons.

I have the VZ2008 and I believe I got a good one that has a lot of attention to detail that went into the quality of the build. I added the sportier plastic thumbhole butt stock that weighs less then the folding metal stock that it comes with and now it feels as light as my Ruger 10/22. I shot it at the range last weekend and had a few people that were shooting an AK try it out and they commented on how much better it was then an AK especially the recoil impulse and being freakishly light. As it stands now it's lighter then my AR and I plan to use it next spring with open sights for a three gun event.
    If the VZ was a new weapon system wrapped in a modern shell then I think people would be all over it but because it's an older design it doesn't get the credit it deserves.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    sks is superior to the mini 30, i have had both
    While I agree with you on a dollar-value basis, the inability to convert an SKS to detached mags now kinda sucks. Anyways, my take:

If I needed to buy a new 7.62x39 rifle today, it would be a Sig 556xi. If I couldn't afford that, it would be a vz2008. If I couldn't afford that, it would be an SKS.

If I could wait and had the budget (~$1500), I'd wait for the Galil ACE carbine and see if that was more to my liking than the Sig 556xi.

The PTR-32 GenII is going to be of interest to the roller-lock crowd, and I think it's going to work really well, but the weight and so-so ergos make it very hard to recommend.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    (re:vz58)...If you can find one, the czechpoint rifles now come with factory barrel with factory original muzzle brake permanently attached by weld bead with bayo lug and bayonet.
    This is not true anymore:( I watched a new czechpoint come out of a box a couple weeks ago at a FFL and they are using a 16" barrel now w/ a removable muzzle device. Same as VZ2008s except for the chrome plating (which I didn't actually check for.) So no longer an original factory barrel.

Sirex