• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Opinion out https://www.conservativereview.com/...-law-to-restrict-your-second-amendment-rights

I know it's only a preliminary injunction but the standard was basically rational basis.
    If I were them I'd go for en banc.

Why isn't more/any lawsuits, esp about 2A doesn't focus on this;

"the Constitution itself in Article IV requires states to give “Full Faith and Credit” to the “public Acts, Records, and judicial proceedings of every other State.” There is no rational public safety reason for states to refuse to recognize the concealed-carry licenses issued by other states other than their hostility to the Second Amendment."

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Why isn't more/any lawsuits, esp about 2A doesn't focus on this;

"the Constitution itself in Article IV requires states to give “Full Faith and Credit” to the “public Acts, Records, and judicial proceedings of every other State.” There is no rational public safety reason for states to refuse to recognize the concealed-carry licenses issued by other states other than their hostility to the Second Amendment."

I think it was. The majority never addressed why this scheme passes under article IV or the 2A, only that it wasn't "unreasonable".

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    I once said that Posner appeared to be one of the few non-political judges on the bench, based on Moore v Madigan.

Well, this case blows that characterization out of the water. Posner appears to be yet another piece of shit political hack judge just like damned near all of the Democrat appointees that sit on the bench.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    as I understand this, the court simply denied the request for the PI. The case will still go to trial.

is this correct?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    thanks Press

It's worth mentioning though, in the footnote by Manion that both sides pretty much agreed there really isn't much more to be learned from a trial.

I'd like to see what Esq thinks about this rational basis opinion.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It's worth mentioning though, in the footnote by Manion that both sides pretty much agreed there really isn't much more to be learned from a trial.

I'd like to see what Esq thinks about this rational basis opinion.

Tough case. First, the predicate for the decision is the court's prior decision in Berron v. Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Review Bd., 825 F.3d 843, 845 (2016), that a licensing system is constitutional. Illinois is shall issue now, but it has a lot of requirements, e.g., 16 hours of training and verification of elements of the requirements. So the issue before the court on an appeal from the denial of a preliminary injunction was whether it is constitutional for Illinois to restrict its licensing system for non-residents to states that have a "substantially similar" licensing system to that of Illinois, including the verification requirements. Note, it is not a flat ban on permits to non-residents (like SC and CO). The dissent says that the verification requirement is subject to heightened scrutiny. I quite agree with the dissent that that the majority did not examine the verification requirement, as implemented, under heightened scrutiny. I also agree with the dissent that the court should have done so.

Still, the majority opinion could be read as saying that verification requirement is constitutional per se (viz., even under heightened scrutiny), as the licensing scheme (not challenged by plaintiffs) is itself constitutional. Such a ruling (sub silentio), might well satisfy heightened scrutiny for carry outside the home (assuming again that the licensing itself is constitutional). After all, the argument would go, if it is constitutional to require verification, then surely it is constitutional to deny the license to those for whom verification is impossible. The majority gave the plaintiffs a chance to address that question on remand; what the majority said was "The critical problem presented by the plaintiffs’ demand—for which they offer no solution—is verification." The majority didn't explain what plaintiffs needed to show. If plaintiffs can come up with a verification "solution," they still may win. We shall see what plaintiffs do.

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Tough case. First, the predicate for the decision is the court's prior decision in Berron v. Illinois Concealed Carry Licensing Review Bd., 825 F.3d 843, 845 (2016), that a licensing system is constitutional. Illinois is shall issue now, but it has a lot of requirements, e.g., 16 hours of training and verification of elements of the requirements. So the issue before the court on an appeal from the denial of a preliminary injunction was whether it is constitutional for Illinois to restrict its licensing system for non-residents to states that have a "substantially similar" licensing system to that of Illinois, including the verification requirements. Note, it is not a flat ban on permits to non-residents (like SC and CO). The dissent says that the verification requirement is subject to heightened scrutiny. I quite agree with the dissent that that the majority did not examine the verification requirement, as implemented, under heightened scrutiny. I also agree with the dissent that the court should have done so.

Still, the majority opinion could be read as saying that verification requirement is constitutional per se (viz., even under heightened scrutiny), as the licensing scheme itself (not challenged by plaintiffs) is itself constitutional. Such a ruling (sub silentio), might well satisfy heightened scrutiny for carry outside the home (assuming again that the licensing itself is constitutional). After all, the argument would go, if it is constitutional to require verification, then surely it is constitutional to deny the license to those for whom verification is impossible. The majority gave the plaintiffs a chance to address that question on remand; what the majority said was "The critical problem presented by the plaintiffs’ demand—for which they offer no solution—is verification." The majority didn't explain what plaintiffs needed to show. If plaintiffs can come up with a verification "solution," they still may win. We shall see what plaintiffs do.

I believe the major issue why so many states do not qualify is due to most not reporting voluntary commitments to NICS. I don't even know if there's some kind of certification that can be obtained confirming this. Seems backwards that plaintiffs have to go through these hoops when the state should just say exactly what it is that'll satisfy the requirements.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not just NICS reporting, thise states also prohibit issuance for any admission to a mental health facility in the previous 5 years

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Not just NICS reporting, thise states also prohibit issuance for any admission to a mental health facility in the previous 5 years

How can someone prove that? Get letters from every mental health facility in the country saying you weren't admitted in the last 5 years?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I believe the major issue why so many states do not qualify is due to most not reporting voluntary commitments to NICS. I don't even know if there's some kind of certification that can be obtained confirming this. Seems backwards that plaintiffs have to go through these hoops when the state should just say exactly what it is that'll satisfy the requirements.

States cannot be compelled to make reports to NICS. See Printz v. United States, 521 US 898 (1997). Printz holds that the federal government cannot commandeer the states to a federal objective. It follows, a fortiori, that other states need not cater to Illinois' need for verification. These are all independent sovereigns. So, plaintiffs have to come up with a "solution" that will show that the need of Illinois for verification can be accomplished through other means so as to demonstrate that the Illinois practice places an unnecessary burden on the right to carry. Here, the burden on the right is a given. The state has come forward and justified the burden by arguing that the verification requirement cannot be met for these out of state residents. The trial is about whether the state has made the necessary showing that the verification need requires denial where there are (?) alternative means for accompanying the same objective. This is the sort of analysis applicable in First Amendment burden cases. For an example of that see McClullen v. Coakley, 134 SCT 2518 (2014)

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    States cannot be compelled to make reports to NICS. See Printz v. United States, 521 US 898 (1997). Printz holds that the federal government cannot commandeer the states to a federal objective. It follows, a fortiori, that other states need not cater to Illinois' need for verification. These are all independent sovereigns. So, plaintiffs have to come up with a "solution" that will show that the need of Illinois for verification can be accomplished through other means so as to demonstrate that the Illinois practice places an unnecessary burden on the right to carry. Here, the burden on the right is a given. The state has come forward and justified the burden by arguing that the verification requirement cannot be met for these out of state residents. The trial is about whether the state has made the necessary showing that the verification need requires denial where there are (?) alternative means for accompanying the same objective. This is the sort of analysis applicable in First Amendment burden cases. For an example of that see McClullen v. Coakley, 134 SCT 2518 (2014)
    So what happens if both sides agree that there is nothing that can be done to satisfy the state's requirements? They surely can't come back and use the same scrutiny they used in this case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When you apply for a permit they ask you that you sign the application and that you answer truthfully and not doing so would be perjury under that state's statute. That would be sufficient to make me answer truthfully

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom