• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hey y’all,

My aunt called me last night and told me that she would like to will all of her guns to me.. what are the steps she needs to take to make that happen. If this is in the wrong place sorry. And I did look around for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    If I might tag on a question, what if a gun is willed to a friend across state lines? Does the estate just have to find an FFL to transfer it?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If I might tag on a question, what if a gun is willed to a friend across state lines? Does the estate just have to find an FFL to transfer it?

No. You do not need an FFL in the case of inheritance. Correction. To a friend? Not sure. Family member does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If you are both MD residents and not prohibited people, and she wants to transfer non-banned long guns, true antiques, or black powder guns to you now (not hand guns, not anything banned in 2013), she can do that at any time without any paperwork required. If she is open to it, I would have that discussion with her before any additional rights are stripped from us by the Annapolis dock rats.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you are both MD residents and not prohibited people, and she wants to transfer non-banned long guns, true antiques, or black powder guns to you now (not hand guns, not anything banned in 2013), she can do that at any time without any paperwork required. If she is open to it, I would have that discussion with her before any additional rights are stripped from us by the Annapolis dock rats.

We are Absolutely not prohibited people lol. But yea that’s a good point.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Statute 5-102 says the entire article does not apply to inheritance. Therefore inheriting a banned firearm is also legal

Do a 77r to be legal

IANAL

§5-102.

This subtitle does not apply to:

8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to purchase or transfer that regulated firearm; or

Call MSP to confirm

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Everything has pretty much already been covered. Make sure she drafts a Will leaving them to you and setting out make and model. Not sure I would go as far as serial number, but if she is still very astute or you are willing to help her, you can use the serial numbers, just make sure you get them right.

As already mentioned, see if you can get her to gift some of them to you now that are not handguns and that are not assault weapons by Maryland definition. If you have your HQL, she can gift handguns to you too without much headache on her part. Get something in writing drafted up that she can sign saying that she gifted them to you so there is no issue with other heirs down the road. Just amazing how heirs come out of the woodwork after somebody passes on.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    She’s told me that she is leaving everything to me. Houses, money, life insurance, guns and cars. She’s never had kids and her husband my uncle doesn’t have any children as well.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Everything has pretty much already been covered. Make sure she drafts a Will leaving them to you and setting out make and model. Not sure I would go as far as serial number, but if she is still very astute or you are willing to help her, you can use the serial numbers, just make sure you get them right.

As already mentioned, see if you can get her to gift some of them to you now that are not handguns and that are not assault weapons by Maryland definition. If you have your HQL, she can gift handguns to you too without much headache on her part. Get something in writing drafted up that she can sign saying that she gifted them to you so there is no issue with other heirs down the road. Just amazing how heirs come out of the woodwork after somebody passes on.

I do have my. HQL as well as a designated collector license. I need to go over and help her with getting all of the serial number written down. She’s naming me as the primary beneficiary

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    So what about a simple will that just says ALL firearms and related items? Would that work?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    When my dad his will written by Schaffer and Black, they were adamant that we provided the serial numbers models and manufacturers. He left everything to my mom except all of the guns went to me. These were a mix of handguns and fsa2013 banned rifles.

I submitted a copy of my dads will to msp when I did the transfer and it went through after a few days.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Aren’t the content of wills public record? If so, listing the collection in detail provides all this information to anyone who cares to look. Yikes!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Aren’t the content of wills public record? If so, listing the collection in detail provides all this information to anyone who cares to look. Yikes!

Wills can be recorded with the Register of Wills prior to ones death, and they are certainly part of the record of an estate. Thing is, how many people are going to go and look at random Wills in the hope of finding a list of firearms that are being left to somebody. Best bet though is to get them before the person passes on with a document stating that they are being gifted to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom