• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    As the thread title asks, what is the preferred location to mount a red dot optic on the upper. I do have a flip up rear MBUS and a standard A2 front sight on this rifle also.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    As the thread title asks, what is the preferred location to mount a red dot optic on the upper. I do have a flip up rear MBUS and a standard A2 front sight on this rifle also.

There is no true correct place, a lot to do with personal preference and your eyes. I personally would not mount to railed handguards. Further away from rear sight allows you more peripheral view, versus red dot closer to the rear sight which cuts down on peripheral vision and forces you to look down the sight. Play with them both and see what you like most. Here are a couple of pics that show how stock position play a part in this setup too.

Extended equals closer
    tumblr_m4a1zncSSz1qzibzio1_1280.jpg

Collapsed stock usually means sight further out
    RB1-Tactical-Carbine-037-.jpg

Either way the distance of the sight from the shooters face is very similar.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Put it anywhere its comfortable for you on the receiver. The red dot will need to go toward the front if you plan to use a magnifier or nv behind it.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the info. I had it installed as far forward as I could on the upper, which is railed, and took it off so I could get the stock plastic hand guards replaced with a YHM Diamond Free Float tube. I liked it there so back it goes, staying on the upper and not on the tube at all.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Thanks for the info. I had it installed as far forward as I could on the upper, which is railed, and took it off so I could get the stock plastic hand guards replaced with a YHM Diamond Free Float tube. I liked it there so back it goes, staying on the upper and not on the tube at all.

I would have done exactly the same. And good choice on YHM!

-Whitey

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    There is a methodical approach to all of this:

A good rule of thumb is to have your red dot or HWS, anywhere between
    a) the back glass line up with the back of the magwell or
    b) the front glass line up with the front of the magwell.

there is a small difference between the two depending on the lenght of your Redot/HWS but either is OK for starters.

.. based on my use and developed preferences the position in my pic probably needs to be another notch or even 2 forward.
    If the EOtech wasnt as perfectly zeroed and locktited (only use blue locktite!!) I would probably move it forward by now a notch or even two but alas I make do until I feel ready for a new training weekend

Of course ultimately personal preference always trumps any "rule-of-thumb" but IMHO a shooter really doesnt have the expertise to even develop a personal preference unless he's shot at least 1000 rds in a realistic shooting environment that matches his PoU (philosophy of use).

So here it goes:

- Mount your reddot as described above
    - Decide what your PoU is (in house defense or rural survival team, or general SHTF infantry type use?) then train with the standard setup in a realistic setting that matches your expected PoU (not just the square range!)
    - Afterwards now that you have developed an informed personal preference modify the standard as you wish.

PS: Since I have been doing alot of shooting with the stock near collapsed as of late I will likely sacrifice my nice locktited zero this week and move the EOTech forward another notch or two but this is just based on my personal preference, evolved in 14,000 rds in realistic environments (jungle walk lanes, Small Unit tactics movement etc)) on this gun The upcoming SUT weekend will shake out how good the new position works for me with my now-preferred stock short setting.

Attachments

• 100_0712.jpg
      100_0712.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 245
    • 100_0706.jpg
      100_0706.jpg
      111.9 KB · Views: 315

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member