• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Turner Saddlery is backed up bad - I have had three 1907 slings on order with them for almost 9 months. I guess they have had a death in the family and a shortage of suitable leather for making slings. It's a family operation of two so I don't mind waiting but I did come across an older fella that makes and sells 1907 slings on the CMP Forum.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=52429

He gets great reviews and his slings are only $35 including shipping so I decided to give it a shot.

The one I ordered I came in today - quality leather and hardware. Decided to put it on a 1903A3 and couldn't be happier.

If you are in the market for a quality 1907 sling, I'd give him a look.

Attachments

• With Sling.jpg
      With Sling.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 152

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Cant beat a Jim Thompson sling to dress out a rifle. Way better than most commercial offerings or from having to switch slings off from rifle to rifle for casual shooting.
    I use one on my M1922 for some time now that I jus leave on there.
    Every once in a while he'll sell them off at a discount depending on how it's marked/colored or I guess for how many of the same style he has made up
    or on hand.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Cant beat a Jim Thompson sling to dress out a rifle. Way better than most commercial offerings or from having to switch slings off from rifle to rifle for casual shooting.
    I use one on my M1922 for some time now that I jus leave on there.
    Every once in a while he'll sell them off at a discount depending on how it's marked/colored or I guess for how many of the same style he has made up
    or on hand.

I have to admit, I was unfamiliar with his stuff until I found him on the CMP forum.

When I was doing my homework it seemed Turner Saddlery was the 'Go To" for handmade, made is US 1907 reproductions. About the time I placed an order with them COVID hit and they got backed up.

I just can't bring myself to pay the big bucks worn out, original 1907's are selling for and didn't want to put a made in China, Amazon repo on them.

If my Turner orders get cancelled (or I pick up another 1903 or Garand) I will probably order more from Jim Thompson.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Eric Hollis is the man for slings in the competition arena these days. Ordered a Turner and waited 9 months, only to be told it would take months more. Done with Turner.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Slings pretty well made for 35 bucks isn't it? Tough to beat. Oval holes and all.
    I intended to use one on a Krag sporter for loafing around and woods carry but it was stiffer than a wedding night prick so I put it on another rifle.
    They smell like a real shoe store would from back in the day when you open the safe up after a while.
    I think if I ever wanted more I would buy them without a second thought.
    I did however take the time to dress down the sharp edges and re-bend the hooks to suit me.
    When they're real new they may hop out on you unexpectedly with out a little adjustment just like any other sling.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Slings pretty well made for 35 bucks isn't it? Tough to beat. Oval holes and all.
    I intended to use one on a Krag sporter for loafing around and woods carry but it was stiffer than a wedding night prick so I put it on another rifle.
    They smell like a real shoe store would from back in the day when you open the safe up after a while.
    I did however take the time to dress down the sharp edges and re-bend the hooks to suit me.
    When they're real new they may hop out on you unexpectedly with out a little adjustment just like any other sling.

Love the smell when you open the safe!!! Hoppe's and Leather!!

FWIW, I have also come to like the Amish made Nohma Buffalo hide slings. Nice quality for the price. I have one on a Mini-14 and a 10/22.

This past October we spent a weekend in Lancaster PA for my wife's Birthday. While there I stubbled across a small Amish shop that made saddles, stirrups, bridles, reins, and all forms of horse tack. They made me a nice, plain Jane belt while I waited. Very simple but the quality of the leather and the workmanship is awesome and it was only $25.

We are going back in the spring to pick ups some patio furniture. I think I will take them some measurements and have them make me a sling for my Mini-30.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I have to admit, when you mentioned Jim Thompson I didn't realize we were talking about the same guy. After you and I both posted, he emailed me to make sure I was happy with the sling and when I saw his name I realized we were both on the same page.

I am assuming I have it installed correctly...if it's not, please let me know.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Very nice and looks great.

A friend of mine uses At The Front. I think they make artificially aged ones for $99 (that almost always sell out). I know seems like a a lot but I’m starting to gravitate towards an aged repro so I don’t risk beating up 100 year old a leather slings. I wish I knew good tips for artificially aging them

Thanks for sharing.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My friends that shoot with Les Tam, Eric Hollis, and Ron Brown slings love them. They’re visibly heavier built than GI M1907s though and they have rivets in some places.

I own three Turners. Two are leather and one is Biothane. This leather 52” is the one I’ve used the most since 2014 shooting my 03s, M1s, and Service Rifle AR. The leather was already very pliable when new and it broke in nicely to bear evenly on my support arm.

I picked up a lightly used 54” Turner with the competition keepers for about $45 on eBay last year to use with my AR and Swedish Mausers. That one I still need to break in even after shooting a season with it.

I custom ordered the Biothane in M1907 length for when I have to shoot my US rifles in the rain and for hunting. It does take a little more time to adjust Biothane than leather, but I’ve never had an issue setting it up in prep time or making a last minute adjustment before live fire.

KxgNFfL.jpg

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Nice slings Ken.

I am trying my best to be patient with Turner's. From her emails it sounds like they have been trough a lot the past year or so. That being said, I have had three on order for over nine months and I still don't have any firm idea when or if I will get them.

I needed a total of four. Three for Garands and one for a 1903A3. As you can see from my pic, I ended up going with a Jim Thompson for the 1903A3. I really hope Turner can come through on my order but if not I may end up looking elsewhere. I'm not really interested in 100+ year old originals but do want something handmade here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom