• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    My brother and I have had a good season so far. 10-point Whitetail I killed opening morning of firearms in QA county and 5-point Sika Stag he killed early muzzleloader in Dorchester.

Attachments

• 20211127_101623.jpg
      20211127_101623.jpg
      163.4 KB · Views: 248
    • 20211127_155544.jpg
      20211127_155544.jpg
      202.4 KB · Views: 250
    • Screenshot_20211023-164717_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20211023-164717_Messages.jpg
      117 KB · Views: 249

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Well with Doco's deer I'm hesitant to post this little dink, but what the hell. I got on the board tonight. It's normally a deer I would pass, but things weren't in his favor:

1 I don't have any deer yet
    2 I'm losing this spot soon
    3 I want to train my dog to track, and I need a carcass
    4 Most importantly, this buck is definitely kin to a deer I killed out of the same stand 10 years ago.

Here he is

Attachments

• 20211228_190323.jpg
      20211228_190323.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 178
    • 20211228_190448.jpg
      20211228_190448.jpg
      105.4 KB · Views: 169
    Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Well with Doco's deer I'm hesitant to post this little dink, but what the hell. I got on the board tonight. It's normally a deer I would pass, but things weren't in his favor:

4 Most importantly, this buck is definitely kin to a deer I killed out of the same stand 10 years ago.

Here he is

Congrats! That's a shooter any day of the week in my book. :thumbsup:

Hunt the same place long enough, and you see the lines through the generations.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

Here he is

Bucks is Bucks, that deer aint sh&^t, if I happened to be shooting does that day, I maybe never would have seen him.

Every deer here is a trophy especially for the young hunters and people who don't get to go often.

Best deer hunt I been on in quite a while was this year and wasn't even armed.

I had a young man out who had a rifle passed down to him from an uncle he had lost that was a Marine and was very special to him.

By the grace of god a buck came out and he nailed him. From a ways off too.

Once he realized the deer was down and had cleared his rifle, he pointed up in the sky at a star we could see and told me that was his uncle and he thought he could see him and what he just did. He was teary eyed.

Then, he grabbed me and gave me a big hug and said he would never forget being able to get a buck with his uncles rifle that had been left to him. He wasn't even sure he could get a deer period because of the way things had gone for him since.

I told him close another in, maybe another will come out before it gets to dark. We're still deer hunting.

And then we'll walk out together so you can help me and go get the truck so we can get him.
    And you can call some people up and let them know how it went.

I killed a whole lot of deer in nearly 40 years to where some I cant even remember.

I don't know if Ill ever be able to help someone out like that again.

Best one I ever got. And all I did was watch.

View attachment 330653

Attachments

• TBO.jpg
      TBO.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 260

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Bucks is Bucks, that deer aint sh&^t, if I happened to be shooting does that day, I maybe never would have seen him.

Every deer here is a trophy especially for the young hunters and people who don't get to go often.

I had a young man out who had a rifle passed down to him from an uncle he had lost that was a Marine and was very special to him.

Once he realized the deer was down and had cleared his rifle, he pointed up in the sky at a star we could see and told me that was his uncle and he thought he could see him and what he just did. He was teary eyed.

Then, he grabbed me and gave me a big hug and said he would never forget being able to get a buck with his uncles rifle that had been left to him. He wasn't even sure he could get a deer period because of the way things had gone for him since.

I told him close another in, maybe another will come out before it gets to dark. We're still deer hunting.

And then we'll walk out together so you can help me and go get the truck so we can get him.

I killed a whole lot of deer in nearly 40 years to where some I cant even remember.

View attachment 330653

Awesome story. I have yet to take a deserving person on a "first deer" hunt, but I hope it happens soon. But don't disregard your buck, that thing is a STUD. Be proud. Luck is 50% of hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats! That's a shooter any day of the week in my book. :thumbsup:

Hunt the same place long enough, and you see the lines through the generations.

Ditto on congrats!

And yeah, my first deer, an 8, and three years later I bagged a 5 within 30yds of the spot I got the 8. Looking at pictures of both they had pretty similar looks (though the 8 was a 3 1/2yr old and the 5 was a 2 1/2yr old when I shot each). And the antlers are extremely similar. Obviously the 5’s being a bit smaller and fewer points, but incredibly similar otherwise.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

View attachment 330653

That’s an awesome story! Good on you. I am hoping one of these days to take someone hunting. My son, for sure, probably next season. But I also have a coworker and a former buddy who are maybes on taking them hunting next season (they are the maybe, not me).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Here he is

That's a beautiful buck(because he is a dead one)! At the end of the day, they all end up as sustenance. And that's all that matters. I would have taken him in a heart beat.

DoCo's right- "bucks is bucks", and the best bucks is the ones you eat.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I have two racks from bucks that absolutely have to be related, taken from the same farm three years apart. A 6 and 7 point, with the shaping of the tines almost identical. I'll post a picture later, they're hanging in the basement.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Side by side of the two, 10 years apart bucks

Attachments

• 20211229_144945.jpg
      20211229_144945.jpg
      146.6 KB · Views: 207
    • 20211229_144930.jpg
      20211229_144930.jpg
      148.9 KB · Views: 200

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Side by side of the two, 10 years apart bucks

Hunt the same place long enough, you're bound to run up against relatives. The deer at top was 4.5 YO and the bottom deer was 3.5 YO.

These were 5-6 years apart. Oddly enough, deer get 60% of their DNA from their mothers...

Attachments

• rack1.jpg
      rack1.jpg
      42.8 KB · Views: 187
    • rack2.jpg
      rack2.jpg
      36.8 KB · Views: 185

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Here's mine, 3 years and about half a mile apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_142321453_copy_600x800.jpg
      IMG_20211229_142321453_copy_600x800.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 177

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads