• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    You know what? Tactical semi-autos:
    A. Beretta 1301, Benelli M4
    B. Benelli M1/M2, Remington Versa-Max, FN SLP
    C. Stoeger M3000, Mossberg 930 SPX, Remington 1100
    D. Mossberg 930 non-SPX (I know this is a controversial take)
    E. All those < $300 budget shotguns from Turkey

I'd agree with this list,
    Could even throw in some Taran Tactical upgrades to those Benellis for some extra $$

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Personal opinion, but the Benelli Supernova beats the stuffing out of everything Mossberg makes, excepting maybe the genuine milspec 590A1s. Only real beef with the SuperNova is no Aridus and Magpul accessories. But out of the box... hard to beat.

I do have a kitted-out old 870, but while it's a decent enough serious use gun, I simply don't use it very much. Might buy a quick open long gun safe for the bedroom and permanently home it in there.
    No opinion on the Benelli Supernova, but that is exactly what I do with my Remington 870. I like the Secure IT under the bed cabinets for that purpose, but don’t mistake them for actual safes.

Unfortunately for the 870, I just took possession of a police trade in Mossberg 590a1 factory SBS. It will be replacing the 870. I need to get it cut for chokes so I can run my SilencerCo Salvo 12 on there, and then I need to mall ninja it with an Aridus side saddle and RMR / rear sight combo.

Not sure what I’ll end up doing with the 870. Seems silly to just throw it in the safe. Maybe I’ll set it up for slugs or something.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    As to the OP, I would suggest that a “collector” or “heirloom” category be considered. It doesn’t make much sense to me to lump hand made $150,000 shotguns into the same grading scale as normal production shotguns.

That is like trying to make one category for 2 door cars and only having 5 grades for everything from Bugatti Veyron/McLaren F1 to Kia forte. The spread between A and F is so vast as to not be particularly useful to someone trying to learn basic information about shotguns. Probably 90% of the items you are trying to characterize will end up in one or two grades, which could be misleading to potential new gun owners just looking for a good quality firearm.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    As to the OP, I would suggest that a “collector” or “heirloom” category be considered. It doesn’t make much sense to me to lump hand made $150,000 shotguns into the same grading scale as normal production shotguns.

That is like trying to make one category for 2 door cars and only having 5 grades for everything from Bugatti Veyron/McLaren F1 to Kia forte. The spread between A and F is so vast as to not be particularly useful to someone trying to learn basic information about shotguns. Probably 90% of the items you are trying to characterize will end up in one or two grades, which could be misleading to potential new gun owners just looking for a good quality firearm.

This is exactly why I wanted to break it out by sub-categories. I think maybe an S-tier is the "everything over A-tier because the scale goes so high up on the high end". I will add that to the original post.

I hope there aren't so many crazy tactical semi-autos, for example, that I would need a "over $20k" tier.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Unfortunately for the 870, I just took possession of a police trade in Mossberg 590a1 factory SBS. It will be replacing the 870. I need to get it cut for chokes so I can run my SilencerCo Salvo 12 on there, and then I need to mall ninja it with an Aridus side saddle and RMR / rear sight combo.
    I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing one of the old Mossberg 500 Compact Cruisers for a super short SBS. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on the secondary market...

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Never cared for the shockwave, but they had a 20ga "nightstick" version in the store that was gorgeous.

I ordered a Langdon Tactical 1301, a few days ago. I did start to create a post to let the members here know they were in stock, but by the time I wrote it, they were sold out.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Personal opinion, but the Benelli Supernova beats the stuffing out of everything Mossberg makes, excepting maybe the genuine milspec 590A1s. Only real beef with the SuperNova is no Aridus and Magpul accessories. But out of the box... hard to beat.

I do have a kitted-out old 870, but while it's a decent enough serious use gun, I simply don't use it very much. Might buy a quick open long gun safe for the bedroom and permanently home it in there.

Accesories make the case for Mossberg. Surefire and Streamlight don't make anything for Benelli and having a lack of Magpul stuff means you're either dipping into custom work or using NCStar "universal" accesories which are only universal in the sense they're consistently garbage.

For $800 pre Covid I could buy a Mossberg a dedicated forend light AND a spare Mossberg to strip for parts.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Accesories make the case for Mossberg. Surefire and Streamlight don't make anything for Benelli and having a lack of Magpul stuff means you're either dipping into custom work or using NCStar "universal" accesories which are only universal in the sense they're consistently garbage.

For $800 pre Covid I could buy a Mossberg a dedicated forend light AND a spare Mossberg to strip for parts.
    Benelli Supernovas are like... $500-$600. Right now. They're not any more expensive than a 590A1. Arguably, they're cheaper. I agree that it would be nice if Streamlight and Surefire would make a fore-end for them.

Sirex