• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Could you send me the phone code and RPi code? Did you use an iPhone? I’d PM you my email address.

Yep, happy to help just hit me with a PM with email address. The phone code is html and the RPi code is Node Red but this will only get you Bullseye-style turning targets. The first picture below is what I see on my phone:

Target Scan is a commercial app that you have to pay for. Second picture below is a screen shot that shows what it looks like after using the app to score a target. It's also capable of exporting scores as just data. Very cool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-09-16-45-52.jpg
      Screenshot_2017-10-09-16-45-52.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 179
    • IMG_2943.jpg
      IMG_2943.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 187

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    That’s a good idea. I looked up some reviews on that device and it’s iffy if it will work with Linux. You used it with the RPi?

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I wrote about it here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4336253&highlight=cantenna#post4336253

My goal was to have a portable wifi extender. Particularly when we go on vacation where we have poor wifi. I wanted to set the Pi up and point the cantenna at the nearest access point, then use my android tablet to log into the Pi, connect to the wifi and then relay through the Pi.

I never got the tablet part of my plan to work. I got as far as getting the cantenna to work from the Pi but I needed ssh console to administer. I've dabbled in Android app writing so that might be fun some day to finish.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    You can get connectbot for android to get ssh console to another computer from the android - unless I misundersand what you need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    You can get connectbot for android to get ssh console to another computer from the android - unless I misundersand what you need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Basically all I want is to remotely tell my pi the password for an access point from my tablet.

I do have the remote ssh console but it's a pain to do from the android tablet.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Even without the camera function, it could still be a handy score pad if the user touched the screen to place where the shot hit.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Yes, I wrote about it here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4336253&highlight=cantenna#post4336253

My goal was to have a portable wifi extender. Particularly when we go on vacation where we have poor wifi. I wanted to set the Pi up and point the cantenna at the nearest access point, then use my android tablet to log into the Pi, connect to the wifi and then relay through the Pi.

I never got the tablet part of my plan to work. I got as far as getting the cantenna to work from the Pi but I needed ssh console to administer. I've dabbled in Android app writing so that might be fun some day to finish.

The WiFi adapter arrived, along with a handful of SMA connectors to experiment with Cantennas. I’ll be going grocery shopping to find the perfect can of something edible.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The WiFi adapter arrived, along with a handful of SMA connectors to experiment with Cantennas. I’ll be going grocery shopping to find the perfect can of something edible.

Awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Read the articles I posted in the other thread. The guy explains what the perfect sized can is and why. I'm a licensed amateur radio operator so I was able to follow the description somewhat.

I couldn't find the perfect one at the grocery store. I ended up with a large can of greenbeans. We feed the salt-free greenbeans to my dog to add filler to her meal.

Even if the can isn't perfect sized getting close enough will give you good results. You can find commercial solutions as well, pre-built long range wifi antennas but I had fun building it myself.

Good luck!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Interesting thread. I'm curious what value you folks would see in an alternative to Pi that has:
    - 4x the CPU bandwidth
    - 2-4x more SDRAM memory
    - the same I/O interfaces and probably more
    - hardware-decoded video (likely H.265)
    - user-friendly programmable hardware resources to implement custom features in hardware without affecting CPU bandwidth
    - easy support for high-bandwidth expansion cards
    - far better build quality
    - priced around $100, maybe $75

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Interesting thread. I'm curious what value you folks would see in an alternative to Pi that has:
    - 4x the CPU bandwidth
    - 2-4x more SDRAM memory
    - the same I/O interfaces and probably more
    - hardware-decoded video (likely H.265)
    - user-friendly programmable hardware resources to implement custom features in hardware without affecting CPU bandwidth
    - easy support for high-bandwidth expansion cards
    - far better build quality
    - priced around $100, maybe $75

Hardkernel/ODROID has this covered:
    http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    23a6753c64e29db15bb5a2dab59d56aa.jpg

So, I got the basic functionality of totaling the score and total number of bullseyes. B4x (Basic 4 Android/iPhone/Arduino) is relatively simple programming, but still takes time to learn. I should be able to make an app for Android phones too. Still haven’t made the UDP network connection to the RPI, but I think I’m close. I did make progress getting the image processing of the target working.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Any concern about splatter harming camera?

Is there any concern about your or your neighbors’ bullet fragmenting and hitting your equipment?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    23a6753c64e29db15bb5a2dab59d56aa.jpg

So, I got the basic functionality of totaling the score and total number of bullseyes. B4x (Basic 4 Android/iPhone/Arduino) is relatively simple programming, but still takes time to learn. I should be able to make an app for Android phones too. Still haven’t made the UDP network connection to the RPI, but I think I’m close. I did make progress getting the image processing of the target working.

Are you able to actually detect the shots or is the app intended to create a UI overlay onto a live video feed? Either is useful IMO.

By the way I updated my thread for my own Wireless Cam. I’ve not gotten the basic hardware down to less than $100 for under close range and about $140 for long range. (Should work to 1mi with direct line of sight).

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=201095

I would love to have a real app interface for tracking, recording and measuring shot groups.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Is there any concern about your or your neighbors’ bullet fragmenting and hitting your equipment?

Yes. . It will have to have some sandbags in front. If it’s on the ground some 25 feet in front, I should still get a good view of the target. I haven’t looked at lenses for a camera yet.

Maybe some hardened glass to protect the lens?

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Are you able to actually detect the shots or is the app intended to create a UI overlay onto a live video feed? Either is useful IMO.

By the way I updated my thread for my own Wireless Cam. I’ve not gotten the basic hardware down to less than $100 for under close range and about $140 for long range. (Should work to 1mi with direct line of sight).

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=201095

I would love to have a real app interface for tracking, recording and measuring shot groups.

That image looks like something I could process. Is that the foscam?
    If been using a usb camera, but I should be able to use an ip camera just as well.
    What I’m trying to do is feed the camera image into the Raspberry Pi (RPi), which takes a before and after image of the target every second or so and looking for any change. The RPi would subtract the before and after images (see post #11), then calculate the position of the center of the bullet hole to the center of the target.
    The center of the target and distance to each ring is set up before hand in a startup sequence.
    What would be sent back to the phone would be a single image, and the X,Y coordinates of the shot. The phone app would overlay the blue donut at the XY coordinates on the image, and determine the score.
    Sounds simple, right?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    That image looks like something I could process. Is that the foscam?
    If been using a usb camera, but I should be able to use an ip camera just as well.
    What I’m trying to do is feed the camera image into the Raspberry Pi (RPi), which takes a before and after image of the target every second or so and looking for any change. The RPi would subtract the before and after images (see post #11), then calculate the position of the center of the bullet hole to the center of the target.
    The center of the target and distance to each ring is set up before hand in a startup sequence.
    What would be sent back to the phone would be a single image, and the X,Y coordinates of the shot. The phone app would overlay the blue donut at the XY coordinates on the image, and determine the score.
    Sounds simple, right?

Yes. This image was captured at 600yd using a Foscam HD WiFi Security Cam. I did replace the wide angle plastic lens with a more narrow and better quality glass lens which really sharpens up the image nicely. I usually set the camera about 10ft from the target.

If you ever get to the point when it’s time to build a nice enclosure please let me know. I have a small CNC machine and a decent 3D printer so I can build any parts we would need.

One thing that would also be useful is a way for Pi to correct for the image perspective distortion which will occur when the camera is positioned below the target. It’s not too bad in my image above but at some ranges you really have to post the targets high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Yes. This image was captured at 600yd using a Foscam HD WiFi Security Cam. I did replace the wide angle plastic lens with a more narrow and better quality glass lens which really sharpens up the image nicely. I usually set the camera about 10ft from the target.

If you ever get to the point when it’s time to build a nice enclosure please let me know. I have a small CNC machine and a decent 3D printer so I can build any parts we would need.

One thing that would also be useful is a way for Pi to correct for the image perspective distortion which will occur when the camera is positioned below the target. It’s not too bad in my image above but at some ranges you really have to post the targets high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, I was going to say I would have to stretch the image vertically to compensate for the low angle. Octave Image tools should have a function for that.
    Maybe a + and - button on the GUI to adjust it.
    The longer the lens focal lengths, the less that would be needed too.
    I’ll work on that another time.

I just connected a touchscreen to the Pi so I’m not tied to the computer to program the Pi code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom