• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    Since firearms are an interest of mine I decided to obtain permits which allow me to exercise the second amendment in most states. As a resident of Maryland, these are the associated costs.

MD HQL and UT CHL class: $154.96

MD livescan: $54.50

Two fingerprint cards: $40.00

MSP HQL fee: $50.00

VA application fee: $100.00

UT application fee: $51.00

FL application fee: $112.00

Postage and money order
    fees: $11.56

Grand total to exercise a Constitutional right: $574.02. This is 2.25% of my salary. Consider it a lifelong investment.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Since you live in MD, you don't need a CHL class or the out of state applications. However:

If you don't qualify for the exemption, you still need to take the MD course @ $75-100
    And the license $50 and the electronic fingerprinting for $55
    If you are buying from Gunbroker $25-45 shipping
    If you need a fired case and it doesn't come with one $60
    Dealer charge for transfer $75-100 around Annapolis
    Dealer charge for MD paper work $15
    Required handgun gun lock $35

Roughly $400 bucks to satisfy administrative requirements to buy one handgun

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Since firearms are an interest of mine I decided to obtain permits which allow me to exercise the second amendment in most states. As a resident of Maryland, these are the associated costs.

Postage and money order

Grand total to exercise a Constitutional right: $574.02. This is 2.25% of my salary. Consider it a lifelong investment.

If you are self employed charge and/or deduct it as a business expense. I would.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    It costs me $0 to exercise my rights to vote, speech, practice my religion, etc. Why should I accept what amounts to a 2nd Amendment poll tax?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    It costs me $0 to exercise my rights to vote, speech, practice my religion, etc. Why should I accept what amounts to a 2nd Amendment poll tax?

You don't have to Sir, But by living in Maryland if you want to buy a handgun legally you have no choice.

Or you could move to free America. :party29::party29:

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

Postage and money order

Here's the bad news. Neither the Fl, Utah or VA costs are costs associated with exercising your rights in MD, because none of those permits are worth a damn here. How unfortunate for all of us. :sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you are self employed charge and/or deduct it as a business expense. I would.

Wonder how the IRS would feel if I depreciate everything I bought last year or do a section 179 on them, and then expense ammo, etc. because I need to be able to practice to ensure that my files and data are kept safe. Wonder if that would pass the reasonable and necessary requirement for business expenses.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or purchase a 1963 or earlier M19 , 1911, BHP , etc , and skip the HQL fees.

Utah , among other things , is worthwhile for the inexpensive renewals , and Pa usefulness. Yes , in another thread I extoled the virtues of redundent CCWs . But tripple redundency of Va AND Fla can be moved down on the priority list.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Wonder how the IRS would feel if I depreciate everything I bought last year or do a section 179 on them, and then expense ammo, etc. because I need to be able to practice to ensure that my files and data are kept safe. Wonder if that would pass the reasonable and necessary requirement for business expenses.

Wouldn't they be deductible anyway since we are all part of the militia and the government does not provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining all of us any other way as they are required by law? I realize any response by you is not binding legal or financial advice.;)

Also I thought there was a ruling somewhere else (Pa?) that said it was unconstitutional to charge a fee to exercise a right.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I VA as redundant, but not FL. UT non-res is not valid in FL.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Why isn't sales tax on guns and ammo any different from an unconstitutional poll tax?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Here's the bad news. Neither the Fl, Utah or VA costs are costs associated with exercising your rights in MD, because none of those permits are worth a damn here. How unfortunate for all of us. :sad20:

This is correct. We should not be like the antis and include unrelated data to our arguments. The other costs of buying/carrying a gun that you list are are correct--they reflect your initial costs to exercise your 2A rights in Maryland. And yes, all of it is unfortunate for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom