• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm getting ready to sell an old gun I inherited. Problem is I only have a vague idea what it's worth. It's a Winchester 1892 in .25-20 with a 24” octqgonal barrel. Serial number indicates it was made in 1904. It's in rough shape - no remaining blueing, lots of blooming, and some straight up surface rust. The action is smooth, though. I haven't actually shot it but it sure looks and feels like it's in functioning condition. Any idea what I should ask for it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not bad at all, I am a bit behind in Winchester values but I would wager $1,000 to $1,500 easy if the bore is good.

ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    Depends on the bore, Ive seen worse for more.

I don't know what to look for to evaluate the bore. I'm kind of new to this. Would you ecommend taking it to a gunsmith before putting it up for sale?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I don't know what to look for to evaluate the bore. I'm kind of new to this. Would you ecommend taking it to a gunsmith before putting it up for sale?

Never hurts I am sure someone could give you the name of an experienced smith dealer.

For a quick gauge open the action make sure the gun is unloaded and use a light at one end while looking down the barrel. If you see rifling good, the brighter the better but I would expect it took dark and possibly with a little frost. At a minimum some debris in the grooves. If its smooth its probably a sewer pipe. Inspect the muzzle for obvious gouges near the muzzle crown.

Gotta clean it first though...

Do not, I repeat DO NOT do any cleaning that will take away the character and "oldness" of the rifle. Many people have turned $2000 guns into $200 guns with "excessive" cleaning.
    Where are you located? I'm sure one of us could help you clean it the safe way and inspect the bore at the same time.
    The antique gun show in Timonium is coming up soon. That would be the easiest place to sell it. However, do not accept the offers as soon as you walk in the door. There are professional low ballers with tons of cash there.
    I too agree with $1000-$1500 unless the bore is trashed.

ghenshaw

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks - I know not to clean up the outside. That's why I haven't even tied to remediate the rust, because I don't know how to do that safely. I meant that I need to run a bore brush through it before trying to evaluate the bore. I only inherited it a few years ago, but given it's history it probably hasn't seen a cleaning patch in fifty years.

I assume that pushing a brass bore brush and some cleaning patches through it is safe?

That's interesting about Timonium. I was planning on selling it on gunbroker but maybe in person would be better.

I'm in Fulton, HoCo. Anybody around there?

Thanks - I know not to clean up the outside. That's why I haven't even tied to remediate the rust, because I don't know how to do that safely. I meant that I need to run a bore brush through it before trying to evaluate the bore. I only inherited it a few years ago, but given it's history it probably hasn't seen a cleaning patch in fifty years.

I assume that pushing a brass bore brush and some cleaning patches through it is safe?

That's interesting about Timonium. I was planning on selling it on gunbroker but maybe in person would be better.

Brass bore brush and patches will be fine.
    The Timonium antique show (baltimoreshow.com) is a quick and easy way to sell it. At the least, it is a way to find a ton of free appraisals from a lot of guys into old Winchesters.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yeah. For the love of God, DO NOT clean that gun. It's worth maximum value exactly as is. Like SG said, if you clean the patina off, it's value goes down the toilet.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Brass bore brush on a poly coated rod. Rub (no steel or brass wool) with light oil like Rem, Hoppes or CLP for the rest.

Once you know a little more you can contemplate working the wood with raw linseed oil (not boiled, BLO is fine for some applications but you want something that is gentler. ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom