• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    ... And I just couldn't resist! (sorry to anyone I baited with the Star Wars pun)

As some of you may know, I've been lately looking for a AG 42 Ljungman, and lo and behold this falls into my lap, courtesy of Lou.

EDIT: Sorry about initial pictures, I was careless in choosing the background! Here's some better ones.

AG-42B%20Right_zpstquj3yk6.jpg

AG-42B%20Left_zpsaqinmhdj.jpg

AG-42B%20Chamber_zpsnhmjyqud.jpg

AG-42B%20Top_zps4fw6wqqs.jpg

It's absolutely gorgeous! Minty inside, everything functions as it should, and the feel is just my style. Now I just need to get some 6.5 to my door and hit the range. Ah... I have no regrets...

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Outstanding, welcome to the AG42B club! Very accurate but be prepared to chase brass if you don't have a brass catcher. Bolt velocity is high and I managed to loose an extractor once. Got a Swede issued AG42B parts kit which came with 2 extractors (hmmm, wonder why?).
    Just watch your thumb when you cock this thing. Makes operating a Garand simple by comparison.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Nice gun but the next picture you take - no underwear or socks :sad20:

Whoops. I forgot I had those there. Well, I'll have more pictures once the sun's up tomorrow, with maybe a peek down the bore. Still is nice!

And mawkie, I want NO part of being caught in that bolt! I've already cycled it through once to check it, and it is wicked. As for chasing brass... that's what Friends are for! ( I kid, I kid ;) )

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    be prepared to chase brass if you don't have a brass catcher. Bolt velocity is high and I managed to loose an extractor once.

Could it have an adjustable gas block (cylinder) installed like a Hakim? I can't zoom the photos on my phone to see if it's similar.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Nice gun but the next picture you take - no underwear or socks :sad20:

Bare feet are bad enough. Better hope you don't get what you asked for. There are some images eye bleach can't reach.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Read somewhere that the Swedes routinely reloaded and so the gummi puffer (aka rubber brass deflector) was added to keep it from mangling brass. I ended up making a brass catcher that I can clamp to a bench or bolt to a camera tripod (for shooting offhand) for the AG42 and my FALs. Hard to be good to your neighbors on the line when you're throwing hot brass at 'em. Plus it makes finding brass a whole lot easier, esp in the case of the AG42. I remember losing more brass with that one.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Could it have an adjustable gas block (cylinder) installed like a Hakim? I can't zoom the photos on my phone to see if it's similar.

Swede AG42B's didn't have adjustable gas blocks 'cuz the Swedes were really tight with their ammo manufacturing specs, hence very consistent loads. The camel jockeys on the other hand, used various surplus ammo anywhere they could find it or dig it outta'da' ground and their own ammo was loaded with 1/4 freeze dried camel shit; the pressures in these multi sourced ammos varied tremendously so the adjustable gas block was used on the camel jockey version (Hakim) of the AG42B Ljungman.

Lou as in Shooters Discount Lou? If so, dammit... I enjoy the neat cocking of these rifles and very rarely see them.

Yeah, that Lou.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Lee, I've been seeing them sell in the $800-900 range on average. Rarely see an AG42B that's not in VG to excellent condition so prices tend to be consistent. As Lou already mentioned, Swede ammo was non corrosive and of excellent quality so expect to also find a pristine bore.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Swede AG42B's didn't have adjustable gas blocks 'cuz the Swedes were really tight with their ammo manufacturing specs, hence very consistent loads.

Adj blocks have nothing to do with consistent ammo. They can be used to lower bolt velocity and not throw brass as far - issues Mawkie commented the Ljungman has. Tuning a gun to barely cycle your loads is less stress on all the parts. Downside is reliability if you get a lightly loaded round, it may not eject and feed the next round correctly. Due to this most wartime guns are overgassed. It's not an issue for me as a collector. I'd rather not beat up the gun or brass.

For example a MAS49/56 don't have adjustable gas blocks either but they can be added in the gas port shutoff valve of the grenade launcher. Else they give a HK a run for the money for being able to launch brass into the next zip code.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Lee, I've been seeing them sell in the $800-900 range on average. Rarely see an AG42B that's not in VG to excellent condition so prices tend to be consistent. As Lou already mentioned, Swede ammo was non corrosive and of excellent quality so expect to also find a pristine bore.

thanks i will keep the pricing in mind.:)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Adj blocks have nothing to do with consistent ammo. They can be used to lower bolt velocity and not throw brass as far - issues Mawkie commented the Ljungman has. Tuning a gun to barely cycle your loads is less stress on all the parts. Downside is reliability if you get a lightly loaded round, it may not eject and feed the next round correctly. Due to this most wartime guns are overgassed. It's not an issue for me as a collector. I'd rather not beat up the gun or brass.

For example a MAS49/56 don't have adjustable gas blocks either but they can be added in the gas port shutoff valve of the grenade launcher. Else they give a HK a run for the money for being able to launch brass into the next zip code.

Okee dokee here...............

smdub, the adjustable gas block as intended back in the day of the transition from the Ljungman to the Hakim has EVERYTHING to do with the ammo and NOTHING to do with throwing the spent casings a given distance, unless the distance you make reference to is the MINIMUM distance to ensure a complete and successful cycling of the action has been accomplished. The well refined ammo production by the Swedes did not present the need of an adjustable gas valve as the ammo pressures were very consistent from beginning to end of production and the gas port of one size in the barrel was all that was needed. Back then, they weren't thinkin' of you and I and the rest of us geeky, nurdey asses on this forum that spend our hard earned dollars in collecting this junk. Believe me, they were not at all concerned about the 1/4 mile brass ejection and the velocity of the the BCG so it wouldn't deliver more than "less stress" on all parts considered. They wanted that gun to kick some ass and put some real hurt and whoopass on the enemy. This "Tuning a gun to barely cycle reliably [in optimal conditions]" to reduce stress is nothing more than some collector's words of lack of wisdom that have no meaning in the development and intended use of the AG42B.

In the Hakim caliber 8x57, ammo was sourced from wherever the camel jockeys could find it throughout Europe and the Middle East and to a lesser extent, Nothern Africa as that area of the world was loaded with then current and older production 8x57 ammo that was known to have great variations in pressures from one source to the next of the many sources that were available back then, not to mention the ammo the camel jockeys themselves manufacturered that contained some amount of some sort of filler/powder that was derived from camel shit (yeah, talk about a whole new level of shootin' the shit???, well it was done many decades ago by the camel jockeys). The information in this paragraph regarding the Hakim is the reason of the adjustable gas valve as the gun could possibly become inoperative if were loaded with a weak pressure ammo and needed to be gassed more OR if loaded with real hot ammo with a strongly gassed system that could lead to highly premature failure due to breakage. If the camel jockeys only sourced their ammo from their own manufacturer(s) and had it all loaded to very consistent standards, the adjustable gas block almost certainly wouldn't exist on that gun.

By your post, I have a tendency to think that somebody off of ARF.com living down in their Mother's basement came up with that false reasoning as that is what I'd expect to hear from some collector (not knocking you) by your words "It's not an issue for me as a collector. I'd rather not beat up the gun or brass". Yes, I'm one of those geeky nurdey dudes that collects this junk too and I like to keep it in as nice of condition as possible. Believe me, they weren't concerned about their brass at all (unless they were ordered to police their brass after shooting on range day for recycling melt down), just so the gun goes bang and not "KABOOM" and that their enemy was killed by the bullets from their gun when it goes bang and not their own own killed if the gun go "KABOOM".

Respect the action. Keep your flesh away from it. It loves blood.......

..........and smaller body parts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom