• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    I just shortened the barrel on my M91/30......My plan is to make it a utilitarian styled close range weapon. Initially I planned to leave both the front and rear sights off, however, I'm not thinking about keeping them. The problem is that I have no idea how to install a new front sight. Suggestions?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Do not ever do that again.

You just flushed $150 down the toilet, and ruined a piece of history.

You were the custodian of that history.

History aside, you ruined your own rifle, even for "utilitarian" purposes.

Do not ever do that again

On a more constructive note, why don't you ask that same question from these guys? They are the real experts on that sort of thing, and will be more helpful than I have been:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?3-The-Collector-s-Forum-Mosin-Nagant-HQ

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Ah give the guy a break. He just joined thousands of his brethren
    that does that kind of stuff.

A pistol would have been a better close range weapon though.

I wonder what the barrel length is now. Did you shorten the stock ?

You have to send us a picture of that.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Might have been better off buying a old cheap pump 12ga and chopping that down, especially for a "close range weapon". Less recoil, less blinding, and less deafening. But same capacity and variety of ammo for different purposes.

And you wouldn't have all the c&r guys pissed at you...

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    jesus, it is a hundred dollar rifle. There are more mosins then museums. You cannot build a nagant shrine out of every mosin you find, let the man experiment and customize his rifle as he wants. He asked for advice, not to be attacked by the purists.

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013

On a more constructive note, why don't you ask that same question from these guys? They are the real experts on that sort of thing, and will be more helpful than I have been:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?3-The-Collector-s-Forum-Mosin-Nagant-HQ

Geez guys......truth be told, it was corrosive ammo that ruin the end of my barrel. the rest of the bore was fine. i was simply taking a "ruined " rifle and making it into something unique. To those who provided input, thanks! To everyone else....relax.lol

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    should have just bought a t53, m44, or m38. If you just chopped the barrel off you probably wont be able to hit anything with it now.

I cut it, reshaped it, crowned it, and polished it to a mirror finish. i did it the right way, so it should retain accuracy.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Really?!?

I shortened up my 91/30 to 18" and didn't destroy any history in the process or ruin the rifle. It now shoots better than it ever had previously.

What else can you do with a 91/30 with a crap barrel to restore it to accuracy short of counter boring it (it was already) or rebarreling it?

You seem pretty judgmental of what others might do with their weapons.

Enjoy the picture... I did it... I destroyed history.

Attachments

• DSCN1039.jpg
      DSCN1039.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 449

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Really?!?

I shortened up my 91/30 to 18" and didn't destroy any history in the process or ruin the rifle. It now shoots better than it ever had previously.

What else can you do with a 91/30 with a crap barrel to restore it to accuracy short of counter boring it (it was already) or rebarreling it?

You seem pretty judgmental of what others might do with their weapons.

Enjoy the picture... I did it... I destroyed history.

Where is the foot?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Although it kind of makes me wince when a good military rifle is sporterized, I did in fact do some bubbaing to a mosin I found myself in possesion of.

I ordered a 91/30 from Century, back when they would actually ship directly to C&R holders in MD directly.

It was listed as in perfect condition except for the barrel, which was pitted to hell and back according to the description, and so it was only like 60 bucks after shipping.

Anyways, I get it home, and after cleaning it I find that only the last 10 inches or so of the barrel are pitted, due to a honest to goodness PLUG of comsoline in the bore.

The only thing I can think that happened was that the cosmo was put into the bore, and somehow water got into the barrel while it was being stored muzzle upright, and the water sat on top of the cosmoline and just pitted the crap out of the barrel.

A shame too, the rest of the bore was immaculate.

So, I ended up cutting the barrel as close to where the pitting ended as possible, and ended up with a barrel just shy of 19 inches.

I then used a centering tool and shaved down the outer diameter of the barrel so as to be exactly concentric with the bore, and shaved it down to a perfect .56 inches outer diameter, down to 1/2 of an inch from the new muzzle. I then threaded the barrel in a 14x1 LH thread and crowned the muzzle so that after I was done exactly 3/8th of an inch of threading was in place.

I then put a new stock on the rifle, since I couldn't bring myself to mutilate the one the rifle came with. I acra glass bedded the polymer stock I got, and shaved the inside of it until the barrel was freefloated.

I then drilled and tapped the receiver in the meatiest area, and mounted a scout position scope mount.

I tested several muzzle brakes, but the best one by far has been an AK-74 style brake from Tapco. I have several from CNC warrior and other places, but I'll be darned if the Tapco doesn't perform better. It's really quite incredible how little recoil the rifle has with the thing mounted.

I ended up mounting a pistol scope rated for .500 magnum and .454 Casull, and it has held up very well to the abuse. I was originally unhappy with the fixed 4x power, but I actually find that it works almost like a red dot, whereas scopes with higher magnification can not be used in such a way.

Turned out to be quite the little scout rifle, or at least it would if I could get a detachable magazine in the thing. The crud of it is that there is a stock out right now that changes the mosin into a detachable magazine rifle, but it's expensive and I don't think I can justify it after the work I put into bedding the stock that's on it.

Since I can top it off this way, it's not a problem.

She shoots great!

With Prvi Partizan brass ammo I can get 1 MOA with her, and she's handy as all get out, about the same as a M44 carbine, but with much less shoulder abuse with the muzzle brake on there.

I don't regret doing it, what with the state of the rifle beforehand. But every once in awhile I'll look at the thing and think:
    "What have I done?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom