• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Looking to move to Va. I really like the Ashburn area but after a zillow search I can't afford anything there. I wouldn't want to go any further than Ashburn distance wise from the DC area. Need a 5 bedroom with garage. Townhome is out of the question. What areas should I be looking at?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    find a VA realtor that will act exclusively as your buyer's agent, let them search for you. i wouldn't be afraid to make some lowball offers in the hopes that one panned out.

and with the toll road, if you're going to look at ashburn, also look out to leesburg, might give you more/less expensive options.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    What's your budget? What size yard?

Realistically? Lol. I have 3 acres now. For much less than anything I've found I can get an acre plus and a pool. We have been discussing moving to a larger home in our current area and set a high budget of 450.
    find a VA realtor that will act exclusively as your buyer's agent, let them search for you. i wouldn't be afraid to make some lowball offers in the hopes that one panned out.

and with the toll road, if you're going to look at ashburn, also look out to leesburg, might give you more/less expensive options.
    I thought about Leesburg Ill have to drive it One day and see how bad the commute is. I'm a little over an your from the office in Crofton now and don't want to be much further.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Problem is, most of N.Va is like MoCo. Way over priced. Most affordable places will be sh!tholes.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Good luck Ifdot. I'm continuously looking (MoCo res now) and it's just not in the cards if you're looking for equal. Maybe Leesburg, or further N/NW out to Purcellville/Lovettsville. But you gotta do the drive and see if it makes sense. Either beginning of the quarter or end of the quarter when people are jamming their way to Tysons or the district. There's a definite ebb/flow to times of the week and times of the quarter.

Maybe Sterling just north of Dulles? IDK. I'd go with low offers as recommended bc right now it seems the VA RE market is super saturated. That side of the river is similar to Moscow county, they're building on every available piece of green that they can.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Just a heads up with the NVA market. There’s 1 home for every 10 buyers. Unless you find a turd expect to make full price offers.

Historic low inventory
    Rates going up
    Metro and maybe amazon moving in

Even before amazon the projected business growth in Loudoun area is massive.

In the end. You end up bringing yourself up to the level of who you hang around. A lot of people who move to NVA tend to up their wealth in the process.

Lots of opportunities

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Realistically? Lol. I have 3 acres now. For much less than anything I've found I can get an acre plus and a pool. We have been discussing moving to a larger home in our current area and set a high budget of 450.

$450K won't get you what you're looking for in NoVA within reasonable driving distance to DC. You'll need to double that budget. Look in MD, either in the Davidsonville/Edgewater area of AA county or further west in southern Carroll county. I assure you $350K-$450K will get you what you want in Carroll and property tax will be reasonably low. You'll also avoid VA's annual vehicle tax and inspection.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    $450K won't get you what you're looking for in NoVA within reasonable driving distance to DC. You'll need to double that budget. Look in MD, either in the Davidsonville/Edgewater area of AA county or further west in southern Carroll county. I assure you $350K-$450K will get you what you want in Carroll and property tax will be reasonably low. You'll also avoid VA's annual vehicle tax and inspection.

The idea is to get out of MD, I can buy a whole lot more where I'm at now then AACO.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Just a heads up with the NVA market. There’s 1 home for every 10 buyers. Unless you find a turd expect to make full price offers.

Historic low inventory
    Rates going up
    Metro and maybe amazon moving in

Even before amazon the projected business growth in Loudoun area is massive.

In the end. You end up bringing yourself up to the level of who you hang around. A lot of people who move to NVA tend to up their wealth in the process.

Lots of opportunities

I will keep you in mind. This is looking like more of a long term plan at this point now. We are prepared and ready to pay cash for acreage in the area we are in now but the cost difference between the areas looks like we are 2-3 years from being able to get what we can here in this area over there.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Forget about DC then and move far away. If you think MD is bad, it's only a matter of time before VA does the same, starting in NoVA. Alternatively, resign yourself to a long drive and move to WV.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I will keep you in mind. This is looking like more of a long term plan at this point now. We are prepared and ready to pay cash for acreage in the area we are in now but the cost difference between the areas looks like we are 2-3 years from being able to get what we can here in this area over there.

Lessburg, Lovettsville, purcellville would be on the Loudoun radar for land.

Ashburn? Any land = $$$$. There’s a lot of money in the area and lots of work so it’s a high cost area.

Head south to Prince Williams County, Gainesville would be a good area for some land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom