Does anyone use software to track your collection?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Gun Vault Pro

Standard info plus photos, round count, last fired/cleaned date, attachments option (receipts, etc), additional info option for anything else.

All I need.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've been thinking I need to do this.
    I would think any good home inventory database software could suffice.
    There's free Microsoft Access templates out there that do home inventories.
    Perhaps I could use one of them as-is or build on one to be more specialized for firearms.
    Heck...maybe I could maybe even design my own but I'd be facing a steep learning curve for MS Access.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I just have a spreadsheet and then a folder for each firearm that includes the photos & paperwork scans. The pics aren't linked to the spreadsheet.

I just use Excel too. I make a new sheet for each gun and insert a photo directly on to the sheet. That way everything is in one workbook.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wrote an Access Database.

Type (pistol, rifle, shotgun, suppressor)
    Manufacturer
    Model
    Barrel length
    Caliber
    Action
    Finish
    Price paid
    Date acquired
    Purchased from
    Through (if transferred through an FFL)

Notes (for accessories or special info)

Disposition (sale, etc)
    To Whom
    When
    How much

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Out of curiosity, why barrel length, action, and finish?

I assume you also record serial number but just forgot to include it in the list. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, Serial Number is included.

Just to have the info. And to separate things. I have a 6" Python and a 4" Python. Both are Blued, but it is possible to add a SS Python in either or both barrel length. I do have two Browning Hi Powers, one Blued, one Parkerized.

Adding action, allows me to report by action type, so I can list all the semi autos, all the bolt action, all the revolvers, all the break open. Just for my curiosity.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Reviving an old thread, I've been using the free MyGunDB for years and recently went over the limit for the "free" version. The developer has abandoned the project, and on other forums there is talk about sending the money and getting no license key in return! Given the developer has given up on the project, and doesn't support it, I was wondering if anyone has a key they would care to share. PM me if you want.

Seems he has left the program to the public domain, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

Old Weasel

Jan 29, 2020
    Glen Burnie
    I have ysed for some years used Approach from the Lotus Office Suite. Easy to set up and modify Hiowever, IBM no longer supports the program and has some bugs with Windows 10.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a word document with pics and a table of data for each firearm, as well as summary data, because I want my kids to know exactly what I have in case something happens to me. My wife is not particularity interested and these will go to my kids. My middle son is actually a co-trustee for my NFA items, but that's another subject.

I did have a spreadsheet but it got too complicated; the word doc is easier to follow and I can export as a PDF file.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Oh - and I have scanned receipts and bills of sale. I just back up onto a USB drive, again, in case something happens to me. Also able to document what is "pre-ban", although you would think the state of Maryland would have all that.

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    I'm creating a Microsoft Access database right now for reloading data/inventory/cost/etc, and I plan to have a firearm inventory in it as well. Databases are clutch for tasks like this, but always remember that backups are essential. Save it to your Google drive every time you update! I've had to do forensic data recovery on family/friends devices enough times to make me do religious backups.

I tried excel and word at first but it was proving to be too manual of a process. Access isn't too bad, there are some excellent shmoo-tube video tutorials for creating an inventory database in access.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    And remember to test your backups regularly. Nothing like losing your data, then grabbing the backup and discovering it's corrupted!

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    And remember to test your backups regularly. Nothing like losing your data, then grabbing the backup and discovering it's corrupted!

Yup.

I almost always have 1 local backup on a separate drive, and an offsite (likely Google Drive) backup for this reason as well.

I have way too much pic/vids to use a cloud service (because I'm cheap) so I have a several external drives for those backups, and keep copies at my parents' house. I periodically save to my local externals, then swap them out with the ones at my folks'.

Offsite storage is essential for flooding/fire/natural disaster scenarios.

Of note, I am truly NOT a conspiracy theorist whatsoever, but I also don't really trust cloud storage. Once you put it there, it's really not only yours anymore. Apple recently proved my point when they agreed to help law enforcement in scanning people's icloud storage for <worst crime ever> pics.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Of note, I am truly NOT a conspiracy theorist whatsoever, but I also don't really trust cloud storage. Once you put it there, it's really not only yours anymore.

The solution to this is "zero knowledge" (also called "Private Encryption Key"). Encrypt your data locally, do not provide the storage provider with the key. Then it's still your data as only you can decrypt it (barring a state actor with unlimited resources). Just... don't lose the key.

Blackblaze has zero-knowledge unlimited backup for single machine for $70/year.
    Spideroak has zero-knowledge backup of 150 GB for unlimited machines for $70/year.

(If you use Linux, Spideroak has a native client, and Blackblaze B2 can be used with rsync, Bacula, Borg, duplicity, Back in Time, rdiff-backup, etc.)

Apple, Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, and the other scumbags all explicitly state they scan your "cloud data" for files that violate their TOS and will delete them and report anything "illegal" they find.

Last edited:

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton
    Apple, Microsoft, Google, Dropbox, and the other scumbags all explicitly state they scan your "cloud data" for files that violate their TOS and will delete them and report anything "illegal" they find.

:lol:

Yes, they are scumbags.

Right, to your point, if you give them encrypted data, and you're not a big-deal scumbag that is worth some serious resources IOT get your data, you should be safe. I'm still cheap though it's not for me...yet.

On the idea of storing your private key...do you know anyone personally that has a bunch of bitcoin on some drive, in a wallet, that has no idea where their key is? I do...just sayin... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom