• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Being able to start a fire is an essential skill. Keeping that fire going long enough to use it as a signal, boil water, keep you warm is another essential skill.

There are many modern ways to start a fire, and all of the primitive methods still work too; best if you learned several.

Right from the start, I'm going to recommend these brand new matches from UCO, they are on Massdrop at a great price and could save your life someday:

https://www.massdrop.com/r/3ZXZ6R

You could wrap one of these matches in aluminum foil and carry it with you all the time, weighs almost nothing and works incredibly well, watch this video:

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I strongly believe the matches provided here are much better, than those included in this kit. This kit is still an outstanding value:

Hard to beat this super small kit:

http://dro.ps/b/ZAUfx79

MD-22158_20160701134110_c569041f255db4b9.jpg

and delivered for one ~$20, this SOL (Survive Outside Longer) kit is difficult to beat.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sol-traverse-med-kit

MD-22158_20160701134113_d62d5a6f4fde4687.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO, sure those are all nice, but works as well in 98% of scenarios? The box of 50 regular matches I have tucked in to my 1st aid kits that go in my hiking pack and in my hunting butt pack. If I know I am overnighting somewhere there is a chance I'll have a fire, I pack a real fire starting kit too, but in every scenario except a pouring down rain, I've managed to start a nice fire with just 3-4 regular matches, even in light rain. Just need to know how to find/acquire/make dry tinder and work from there. Of course I have other resources on me, like a knife, jacket, pack, etc.

masonsjax

Lurker
    Sep 18, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    I keep an old prescription pill bottle filled with vaseline covered cotton balls in each of my bug out bags. They light easily and one will burn for a good 20 mins even in the rain. Cheap and easy firestarter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lots of firestarting options. None is best all conditions, all the time.

Have multiple options, and redundancies.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Practice the skill using your various methods. When was the last time you started a fire using wet wood in a rainstorm?

Skills atrophy without use.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Ditto that! I've been teaching primitive fire starting for nearly 40 years, and that's all I've used while backpacking and camping. Usually faster to get a fire going than friends with these newfangled gadgets! All it takes is knowledge and practice.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Being able to start a fire is an essential skill. Keeping that fire going long enough to use it as a signal, boil water, keep you warm is another essential skill.

There are many modern ways to start a fire, and all of the primitive methods still work too; best if you learned several.

Right from the start, I'm going to recommend these brand new matches from UCO, they are on Massdrop at a great price and could save your life someday:

https://www.massdrop.com/r/3ZXZ6R

MD-17268_20160323150916_6bd795a14ec746ac.jpg

You could wrap one of these matches in aluminum foil and carry it with you all the time, weighs almost nothing and works incredibly well, watch this video:

I have the original of these matches and they are fantastic. Might get some Titans, just because I can.

I too believe in having multiple ways to start a fire. I have several types of tinder-char cloth, cotton balls with petroleum jelly, and cattails. I also have potassium permanganate and glycerin (plus the potassium permanganate have several other uses). Of course I have regular matches, a few lighters, and a few magnesium fire starters. Hsving a few ways to start a fire covers multiple situations in which you may need to start a fire. No one way will work all the time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you stipulate reasonable time periods vs the proverbal stranded forever in the wilderness, full size strike anywhere stick matches are better for actual fire starting than butane lighters or the various exotic and semi-exotic tools and gadgets.

A big box in your camping gear, plus a BSA or GI surplus waterproof matchsafe in your pocket.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You can always do something like this.

Thats awesome, thanks!

The easiest, and least expensive way to create a fire, in a portable package is these matches. When you consider the 'danger' of having those two chemicals in containers, compared to the ease and compactness of a single match, not much of a comparison... I'm for the Titan match.

The little kit I posted about is awesome, but I think I'd add a few items, like a couple Titan matches, and a blade of some sort. I think shining the inside of the lid of the container would make an excellent signal mirror.

We're just playing boy scouts right now, no worries. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'd like to learn to start a fire with only having a knife (wood stick friction thinigie method). For now, I keep flint type fire starters in the cars.
    I"ve used them to start fire pits with dry grass and kindling so my confidence is built up.
    Pump drill thing looks interesting if I were to be long term at a camp with no other method. Call it something to keep in your mental bag of tricks.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have carried a USAF survival fire starter, Magnesium block with Ferro rod on the side, on my key chain ever since I was in the Air Force. In various kits I have flint and steel, fire bow, lighters, matches, magnifiers, batteries with steel wool, slow match, and the knowledge of how to use ice, polish soda can bottoms, some chemical reactions, and using firearms to start fires.

I recommend you learn how to make char cloth and slow match.

Anyone want a challenge? Walk out of your house with no other preparation than what you have in your pockets and not using any stored supplies or firewood: start a fire and gather enough firewood so you could boil a coffee can full of water.

That is why I have started including a reciprocating saw pruning blade and a couple of hose clamps in my kits, so you can make your own hand saw. Find a branch the right diameter use the saw blade to cut it to length then cut a kerf in the end insert butt of blade and tighten hose clamps. Much easier than cutting wood with a pocket knife.
    http://toolguyd.com/pruning-trees-theres-a-saw-blade-for-that/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom