• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Anyone have experience with an AR safety that is easier to operate? Mainly a larger surface for thumb contact.

Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    First try removing your grip, it's easy for one of the springs to get hung up on installation and lead to a weird feeling safety, i typically install the grips upside down so i can drop the detent and spring in place and lower the grip onto it and use a small screwdriver to ensure alignment.

Alternatively due the Papa Mopar (patent pending) technique.

Pop in either Blackhawk Down or Scarface and dry fire at either A the bad guys or B the F word.

Should slick it up a bit and work on muscle memory for safety manipulations.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is more of the stock Colt safety is low and hard to hit under stress. Not a hard to move issue.

I saw a Rock River one, that had a ball at the end. Bigger to get your thumb on, and they claim it rolls under your thumb for easy activation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know I saw someone that makes varying sizes that protrude further than others. I can't remember who though. Mine is a Colt, too.
    I bought this one. The adjustability helps me.
    http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/gavel_ambidextrous_safety

How do you like the shorter throw?

I am not sure I need that. My problem is more going for the safety and swiping over it. Except those times in the heat of the drill of forgetting to hit the safety at all. :)

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It is more of the stock Colt safety is low and hard to hit under stress. Not a hard to move issue.

I saw a Rock River one, that had a ball at the end. Bigger to get your thumb on, and they claim it rolls under your thumb for easy activation.

I happen to like the Colt safeties on my rifles more then any other I have used. Guess it is all in personal taste. My favorite part of the Colt safety selectors is how quiet they are. All of my other lowers have a loud selector... The Colts are quiet as can be.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Second on the Rock River star safety. It pivots naturally regardless of how high or low your thumb is located. $9.00 retail.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    How do you like the shorter throw?

I am not sure I need that. My problem is more going for the safety and swiping over it. Except those times in the heat of the drill of forgetting to hit the safety at all. :)

sorry, I was away all weekend and on satellite internet. :sad20: The short throw is not all that bad. It was more about the ability to get the lever to fall where you can naturally hit it with a finger or thumb. With this safety it can be in a different spot on each side. I understand your need though and taller models are out there.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like the BAD ambi set, nice machining, smooth to operate and secure detents,9 different levers to choose from, they have 45 and 90 degree sets. I prefer 90 degree, mostly out of habit, no question if it's engaged or not. I like the ambi lever, so I can deactivate the safety with my thumb, and engage it with my trigger finger.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I like the BAD ambi set, nice machining, smooth to operate and secure detents,9 different levers to choose from, they have 45 and 90 degree sets. I prefer 90 degree, mostly out of habit, no question if it's engaged or not. I like the ambi lever, so I can deactivate the safety with my thumb, and engage it with my trigger finger.

+1 on the BAD ASS. I run them on all my AR's. Lots of options with lever size and shape. I find a short lever on the right side of the receiver works best for me and standard length on the left side. They aren't cheap, but they're worth it IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      22.3 KB · Views: 187

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have the Noveske STS installed on one of my ARs and it is becoming my favorite. I don't have to extend my thumb to get the safety and throw it. Cheaper than the BAD (I have them on all my other guns).

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Why does every ambidextrous safety have one long throw and one short throw safeties? The right hander throw are long and the left hander safety is short... Can't anyone make both sides long throws for us lefties???

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Why does every ambidextrous safety have one long throw and one short throw safeties? The right hander throw are long and the left hander safety is short... Can't anyone make both sides long throws for us lefties???

I'm a lefty with a seekens ambi saftey. I just put the long side on the right,short on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom