• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The challenge with air rifles in MD is that, unlike firearms, there is no state preemption of local ordinances. That means the counts, city, and locality can and does write their own rules governing when where and how you discharge an air rifle.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I see the OP's neighbor attempting sniper technique. Not quite enough to avoid detection (as what happened with him), but staying within the confines of a room and in the shadows will allow for successful undetected engagement of a target via windows or other building apertures.

Some squirrels have met their demise through this practiced technique, over the years.

If "those" squirrels could talk

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    In Calvert county the 50 yard archery stand off distance allowed me to hunt in my yard without getting neighbors permission so I got a crossbow. When it was 150 yards I would have needed permission from at least six neighbors due to the distance of the occupied dwellings so I never tried. I did shoot a groundhog with a pellet rifle once that I think was living under my neighbors shed (before they lowered the distance for archery). Never knew they could run/wobble that fast with a pellet in them. No idea if it survived. I never saw it come around again after that. I must say, those ultralight pellets are much louder than a 22 LR. I caught a few raccoons in a trap and used my 22lr to kill them - faster and not as loud as the pellet rifle.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We had a new member join our club last night. He is primarily into shooting these high end air guns. He showed us some pictures and wow! were they impressive and high dollar too. A far cry from my Benjamin!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pyramid Air has break barell .30 Cals starting from $249 . More expensive than stocked @ Walmart , but very reasonable for a big bore air rifle .

( Yes , the PCP .30cal's have considerably more velocity, 900 v 600 , but if I'm going to step up to the inherent issues of PCP , I'd go bigger than "just" .30cal . Their least expensive.30cal PCP is also available in .35 at same price .)

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Many of the PCPs are almost as loud as rimfire rifles. Air rifles can legally be bought with an integrally suppressed barrel (no NFA required). Right now, the AirForce Texan is as bad as they get.

This is at 3,000psi. They now make 4,500psi kits for the Texan, which gives an extra 100-200fps to a 300 to 350gr pill.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    Yep, Large Caliber Precharged Air Rifle

If you are seeing bark fly off of a tree it's definitely a large caliber air-rifle, and if he was aiming at a groundhog (not the tree) at 30y - he's definitely a terrible shot.

Interestingly, It's legal to discharge an air rifle in Baltimore City on your own property as long as you have set up a "bonafide" range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom