• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    simplify this argument to fit their own little world view

I'm not here to engage in personal grudge matches, but again, if you can't act with civility and exchange ideas without sarcasm or snideness I really don't see what you get out of participating here. Other people aren't going to agree with you on everything, that doesn't make them bad. You need to be a little more tolerant of other people's views IMHO.

reiflame

Feb 27, 2007
    I'm not here to engage in personal grudge matches, but again, if you can't act with civility and exchange ideas without sarcasm or snideness I really don't see what you get out of participating here. Other people aren't going to agree with you on everything, that doesn't make them bad. You need to be a little more tolerant of other people's views IMHO.

I'm the one who said I agree to disagree, you're the one who kept having at it. I don't know you, so how in god's name could I have a personal grudge against you?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well maybe grudge is the wrong word but I don't see where some of your tone was called for. Lets just call it a day and move on shall we?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Right after NICS was instituted there was a federal appeals case of a guy who was denied a purchase because he was convicted of a simple DWI in Massachussetts 20 years before in 1975. In MA at the time a first-time DWI carried a potential jail term of up to 3 years in prison, even though nobody ever got it. He lost the case, lifetime ban. I'm not defending drunk drivers, just giving an example of why I agree, the punishment should fit the crime.

The federal lifetime ban does not apply only to felonies, it also applies to any misdemeanor conviction which carries a potential sentence of greater than one year. It also applies to all minor common law offenses without a specified punishment, of which Maryland had many until they finally codified common law several years ago.

For instance, telephone misuse in MD carries a potential penalty of up to three years in prison. Now I'm not defending people who make prank or annoying phone calls, just saying that I don't think banning them from firearms ownership forever fits the offense.

But this is where we've gotten to. We seem to have this slow creep of regulation, expanding the lists of people who can't own guns while shrinking the list of guns people can own. It only heads in one direction.

More and more I'm starting to believe that the Legislature should not be allowed to pass a law in a single year and there must be a "Cooling Off" period of a full year and a re-vote at that time.....if the bill still makes sense at that time and has broad support then so be it.....there are way too many laws that get passed in the heat of the moment or happen to be "Feel Good" legislation that should never have been passed.

The Real ID Act is a prime example of that as was the Md Clean Car Act which adopts Cali Emmisions Regs along with all of the Boutique Fuels and eliminates Diesel Passenger Vehicles which by the way can burn BioDiesel.....so lets get this straight....you want to reduce CO2 and promote the use of Alt Fuels so you're going to pass a law that eliminates the registration of the very vehicles that generate ~half the CO2 of a Gasser, are much more efficient and can burn BioDiesel.....makes a lot of sense eh?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I may be extreme, but the last time I checked the 2nd Amendment stated "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I may be extreme, but the last time I checked the 2nd Amendment stated "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

How can you expect any politician to understand that, when they have trouble with the definition of the word "is"?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Good point! But it is what I stand by I am tired of compromising my rights away. How is it that when we compromise we end up getting less and yet the liberals still whine about it for more?? Because they will not give in until we are all disarmed and enslaved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom