• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My wife and daughter bought me a 32 gun safe, I think, from Dicks a 2 or 3 years back. All and in all, the safe works fine except the damn electronic lock. The thing has the 9v battery go dead, a lot. Now the pound button beeps but no other buttons. New battery and nothing working.

I am sure someone makes these for them and would hope I can buy a new lock for the front of it. Maybe a upgrade? Anyone have any knowledge of this? I am pretty handy with electrical and control work If I need to do a custom mount.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Lithium batteries last longer than the Alkaline batteries. Lithium Batteries also have a longer life, as well as temperature tolerances.

Lithium Ion batteries are rechargeables, definitely - do not use in your safe. They do not last that long either.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I put this off for a long while. I just couldn't see spending $220 on a lock on what I thought was a cheap safe. Not to mention, I got no idea if the will match up with plugs and all.

So I just ordered a 9vdc wall wort with 5.5x2.1 plug and a 9v batter connector with a matching female plug. I will check them for polarity before hooking it up. This way I can always use a battery on it still and just leave it plugged into the wall all the time. It is in the utility room and use stick on wire clips if it works fine. No drilling as that probably voids the fire rating.

This think eats a battery every month or two. I order lithium and it just cost more and died in about the same time. I think this thing draws power just being plugged in and just drains the battery even when the safe is not used.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I put this off for a long while. I just couldn't see spending $220 on a lock on what I thought was a cheap safe. Not to mention, I got no idea if the will match up with plugs and all.

So I just ordered a 9vdc wall wort with 5.5x2.1 plug and a 9v batter connector with a matching female plug. I will check them for polarity before hooking it up. This way I can always use a battery on it still and just leave it plugged into the wall all the time. It is in the utility room and use stick on wire clips if it works fine. No drilling as that probably voids the fire rating.

This think eats a battery every month or two. I order lithium and it just cost more and died in about the same time. I think this thing draws power just being plugged in and just drains the battery even when the safe is not used.

That is unusual. I have a similar safe that hasn't needed to replace the 9v battery once since I installed it years ago. I also have sentry biometric pistol safes (4xAA) that last for years.

OTOH I have a gunvault pistol safe from when they first came out that takes 8xAA and will drain them in about 2-3 months. Poor design in the electronics? :shrug:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've used the Low Static Discharge Tenergy Centura 9v NIMH batteries in things like smoke detectors. I think most if not all of the other 9v NiMH rechargeable batteries will self discharge within a couple of months. The Tenergy 9v charger also shuts off after the batteries are charged, while other 9v chargers tell you to unplug them after an hour to prevent over charging and damaging the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Charger-Self-discharge-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00461DNTO

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    That is unusual. I have a similar safe that hasn't needed to replace the 9v battery once since I installed it years ago.

I am not over analyzing it and hitting it with a meter and all, but I imagine it is bleeding current through the lock when not in use. Just not enough to pull it in, or some kind of awake protocol that has the circuitry just eat the battery. Maybe I got a bad unit with an issue, but Good Fricking Luck trying to get anything from support from Dicks or Field and stream. They are sell and forget store. I only got this as my daughter talked me into it with a deal her former BF could get.

I am interested in trying to get this to work. Even if it eat batteries, it should be minimal cost on 120vac direct wired through a wall wart.

I've used the Low Static Discharge Tenergy Centura 9v NIMH batteries in things like smoke detectors. I think most if not all of the other 9v NiMH rechargeable batteries will self discharge within a couple of months. The Tenergy 9v charger also shuts off after the batteries are charged, while other 9v chargers tell you to unplug them after an hour to prevent over charging and damaging the batteries.

I only have $16 in the wired version coming, so it's on to see if I can make it work right. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom