• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    We had a conversation at the dinner table the other night that one off handed comment, even if joking, could mean all our guns being removed from the house under threat of force.

A supervisor at a past place of employment made a comment out of frustration about blowing the place up. Everyone KNEW he was kidding. It took one person with a personal vendetta to call him out and he was fired. He was a good supervisor and a great guy with a family. The reporting party was a weasel snake ******* and no one liked him even before the incident.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Talking smack and being under the influence? Sounds like a normal day in the machine shop I worked at during high school.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Was It the father's home or the son's? Once the suspect was removed from the home, especially if the home belongs to the father, the threat is stopped. It is up to the judicial process to determine if the suspect is a threat and decide to hold or release him. Can't the court order the suspect to not return to the home as they do in domestic cases? Releasing the suspect before trial would seem to indicate the judicial system does not think he is a threat. If released the suspect has access to all manner of things such as vehicles, knives, flammables, rocks etc. None of these were confiscated. The whole process is firearms seizure cloaked in biased reasoning. If a drunk driver kills or tries to run over someone they don't confiscate vehicles under red flag. Cars are not confiscated for road rage.

In a nutshell, the firearms were arrested.

Also as a side note, when I saw the suspect's picture I immediately thought - Gary Busey's drinking buddy.

On top of that, he was held without bond. So he won't be returning home until a judge deems it safe for him to do so. There was no need to seize the fathers firearms.

I was thinking more like Nick Nolte.

WXAzYmtqMW5Cb1FuZklSaFM3aFYuanBn.jpg

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    We had a conversation at the dinner table the other night that one off handed comment, even if joking, could mean all our guns being removed from the house under threat of force.

My boy just started High School this week, I'm going to have that conversation with him this afternoon. If I remember correctly a school counselor is on the approved list for requesting an ERPO.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    On top of that, he was held without bond. So he won't be returning home until a judge deems it safe for him to do so. There was no need to seize the fathers firearms.

I was thinking more like Nick Nolte.

Pretty tough shirt to make it 16 years with Nick!

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Why did the Judge ask specifically about AK 47s instead of the weapon of war AR15? Seemed odd to me.

The response from the Assistant State's Attorney was ominous. "Any could be used in this capacity." On the one hand he could have meant the type of firearm didn't matter. On the other he could have meant all of them could be considered assault weapons.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The real question is how an ERPO was issued to begin with. I thought it could only be a relative or LEO. Now it looks like anyone can simply tell the LEO whatever they need to hear to get the ERPO. That is the alarming part and the part that was dismissed by so many during the legislative process.

YOU HAVE DISCOVERED THE SECRET CODE!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    “Must be returned?” Aren’t you funny. This isn’t America. It’s the PROM. They will be taken to his dealer of choice for transfer to him. He will have the option to sell the AK out of state.

I'm guessing you haven't read the actual law, and are going off of something you heard at an LGS.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016

That was my thought. If the suspect is held without bond, he has no access to the firearms. It seems that confiscating the firearms was not necessary. This is a bad precedent.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm guessing you haven't read the actual law, and are going off of something you heard at an LGS.

I'm with Daggo on this. Yes, the law says the seized firearms must be returned.
    But there are no statutory penalties against for the State in the law if its employees play passive-aggressive in delaying giving back seized property. It's a right without redress.

I watched an in-law go through weeks of trying to retrieve property (not even firearms in this case, just stolen household goods retrieved from the perp). The "right" officer to sign paperwork was never in the office and nobody knew how to contact him, or the evidence room manager was busy, or some other picayune, utterly unnecessary roadblock would always pop up just when it seemed like everything was in order. She had to work her way up the chain of command until she found someone willing to just order the goods to be released.

The burglar had plead guilty, none of her property was needed as evidence any longer, and she had positive proof of ownership of many of the high-value items.

She initially had had trouble getting her local PD to do anything about the burglary of her house, even when neighbors told the local PD they had seen who had broken in, and she made a stink about their inaction. When a warrant was finally served at the guy's house, there was stuff from dozens of local burglaries there, and in a small, rural town of less than 2000 people, word of stuff like that gets around fast.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    From reading these comments, it's clear to me that many of you do not understand the law or the facts of this case. If you're going to get on a soapbox, it would behoove you to understand that about which you are preaching.

Enlighten us then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom