• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    One thing on the AR, OAL is based on the max length of the stock, so if you have a six position stock, at the longest LOP setting, it must be 29". Your flash suppressor does not count for OAL unless it is pinned and welded.
    If you are traveling with firearms on the eastern seaboard, avoid NJ and NY whenever possible. Some of their laws are worse than ours (e.g., hollow points are illegal in NJ). If you want to be able to carry in adjoining states, get a non-resident for New Hampshire (that gives you PA), and FL, VA, or Utah to get other coverage. Check the reciprocity laws for each state every time you go. Agreements have been known to change.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I apologize...I know this if often asked.

I am moving to Maryland because my love for my kids and my grandkids has finally gotten to the point that it outweighs my love for firearm freedom. A second grandson will go that (I built an all-Idaho AR-15 for my first grandson's first birthday...just waiting for him to be old enough to learn to use it. My own little rebellion.) So I'm trying to figure out which firearms to bring to Maryland and which to leave in Idaho.

Is it possible to bring in ANY firearms without having to tell anyone in Maryland about them?

Does my multi-state concealed carry permit buy me ANYTHING in Maryland in terms of firearm freedoms?

Would it make any difference at all, in terms of firearms in my possession, if I maintained my residence in Idaho?

Does it make any difference where I live? The plan is on the eastern shore somewhere.

If Maryland has to be notified about incoming firearms, what is the process?

The problem...I own 42 handguns, 18 shotguns and 31 rifles...at last count. Everything from Marine Corps issued (to my father-in-law) 1911's to S&W Model 41's and 52's to modern Kimbers and Springfield XD family handguns with a handful of revolvers thrown in for good measure. Shotguns are all variety also...pump, semi-auto and O/U...old and new(er). Rifles range from M1 Carbines and Garands to AR-15's to SKS's to custom PRS style rifles to hunting rifles...with a couple of Ruger 10-22's thrown in.

Any input would be helpful. And if there is any place that Maryland has laid out the regulations in understandable English, please point me there as well.

Delaware or if south, Eastern Shore of Virginia. If wanting to have access to AACo/Annapolis - Harrington or Felton DE gives you a good shot to The Bridge

And lower slower DE puts you near the 500yard range at Delmarva Sporting Clays

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    First, let me echo the "don't do it" responses. Don't do it.

All of the neighboring states are gun friendly.

Friendlier than MD. Not Idaho friendly. They each have their quirks.

I'd also be Leary of moving to MD and registering any guns right now. Unless things change for the better, California style confiscation of certain registered items in the coming years would not surprise me.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    We sound like we are desperate, and we are. Desperate to LEAVE.

Do whatever you can to NOT live here.

DO NOT LIVE HERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR RIGHTS or FREEDOM!!!!!!

You must be knocking you head on the wall, so used to "'merica". This is not the US of A, this is a communist state.

Unbelievable yes, but true. You couldn't even imagine. But its very very true.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    People have mentioned the handgun qualification license (HQL). If you do move here and you want to buy handguns, because you own guns, you are exempt from the training requirement for the HQL. You'll just need to get Livescan fingerprints and then apply online. The fingerprints will run you around $55 and the online application for the HQL is another $50. It is valid for ten years.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    People have mentioned the handgun qualification license (HQL). If you do move here and you want to buy handguns, because you own guns, you are exempt from the training requirement for the HQL. You'll just need to get Livescan fingerprints and then apply online. The fingerprints will run you around $55 and the online application for the HQL is another $50. It is valid for ten years.

Unless you are retired military, we are HQL exempt.

Oh yeah, don't move here.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I know this is an echo chamber but DON'T MOVE TO MD. You say you want to be close to grandkids so I am guessing you are retired and are NOT moving here because of your job brought you here. Find a residence in Delaware or Pennsylvania or Virginia. You can live within an hour or so of family and be able to have many more freedoms than we have here in The Peoples Republic of Md.
    DON'T DO IT.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    How exactly does the State of Maryland define a legal AR-15 HBAR? And what about magazines...could I come in with my 30 rounders?

Your magazines are fine.

There's no great definition of a legal hbar. MSP guidance has been that the barrel is "stamped or advertised as hbar". Again, if owned prior to 10/1/13, other barrel profiles are still fine to bring.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Here in Idaho we can buy firearms person to person from a private party. So how do you prove that it was purchased prior to 10/1/13 if you don't have a receipt for it

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here in Idaho we can buy firearms person to person from a private party. So how do you prove that it was purchased prior to 10/1/13 if you don't have a receipt for it

Well, if it were to ever come up, many say the date of manufacture from the serial number could be a sticky wicket if manufactured after 10/13.

I have a friend with property in PA. They live here. They have probably 60 awesome guns in the collection. Over half are most likely Maryland banned. Aside from a shotgun or two, NONE of them will ever see daylight in Maryland.

Law states that guns have to be voluntarily registered within 90 days of becoming a resident. Even though there is no enumerated "punishment" for not doing it, they won't bring not a 1 here. I don't blame them.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Have you look at property, cost of living, and taxes here? My property taxes are equal to most of my friend's and family's mortgages. So, keep that in mind along with losing your rights (priceless).

As others have said, md is a small p*ss ant sized state so live elsewhere if at all possible.

Please check the specs on what is a legal AR here as the one you built for your grandson may not be legal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, if it were to ever come up, many say the date of manufacture from the serial number could be a sticky wicket if manufactured after 10/13.

I have a friend with property in PA. They live here. They have probably 60 awesome guns in the collection. Over half are most likely Maryland banned. Aside from a shotgun or two, NONE of them will ever see daylight in Maryland.

Law states that guns have to be voluntarily registered within 90 days of becoming a resident. Even though there is no enumerated "punishment" for not doing it, they won't bring not a 1 here. I don't blame them.

Pretty much that. MDSP aren’t going to ask for bills of sale when. Registering them. However, you’d have to be daft to try to register something you know for a fact you purchased after 10/2013. First off, if the date of manufacture was after that, it is a quick phone call and a few minutes on hold to the manufacturer for MDSP to discover that. Second of all, even if it was a private sale if they really wanted to try hard they can possibly still trace chain of custody. Start with the manufacturer, then the FFL on the original sale, first owner, second, etc. till they get to you.

Sure, first seller might not have your info, or the person’s info they sold it to, but they can probably vaguely recollect when they sold it to someone.

I hate MD gun laws as much as many on here, but I am not going to risk prison and loss of my rights over A gun. If I legitimately owned it before 10/2013, nothing to worry about. If I didn’t, best to leave it out of Maryland. Either selling it, gifting it or keeping it at an out of state second home.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I am moving to Maryland because my love for my kids and my grandkids has finally gotten to the point that it outweighs my love for firearm freedom. ... Does my multi-state concealed carry permit buy me ANYTHING in Maryland in terms of firearm freedoms?
    Nope, and you'd be very well advised to rethink your decision.

It's not just guns. It's the way people are. How they treat each other. After Idaho, you'll hate it here I promise you. In a year you'll wonder what the hell you were thinking moving here and will think relentlessly about going back.

If you MUST move to this sh--hole, please, move to Virginia and drive to see your kids. Do NOT move to Maryland. I used to live in Provo, Utah, when going to school and I sorely miss the West. God, moving out here was the worst mistake I ever made and do you know why I moved here? Because the love for my parents outweighed my love (at the time) of the state. I kick myself every time I think about that decision. I'd rather be a mule hauler back there than a corporate employee out here.

Come if you must, but leave everything you can in Idaho (there's no place to shoot out here anyway). Bring one handgun--maybe a Ruger Mark II/III/IV auto--to keep the Huns away, and leave everything else back there. You'd be better off flying back here four times a year and visiting than trying to live. If those kids are raised in Maryland schools, they won't stick around and let you socialize with them anyway. They drift away from parents and grandparents here.

Just remember I told you. There are no mountains and people are cold and with little merit, unless you happen to move next to a gun owner. Then, chances are, you'll never know it. It's not something one advertises.

For now, just visit and then make up your mind. Believe me, as a Marylander, it takes a good five years to get to know us. Then, once you know us, you'll hate us. Seriously.

Law states that guns have to be voluntarily registered within 90 days of becoming a resident.
    Really?? Every time I register a gun, it's involuntarily. How can the law require someone to voluntarily register anything? It's like, "Hi, I'm here to involuntarily register these guns voluntarily. Are you the right person to see?"

If you want to have fun sometime, call Washington, D.C., offices and tell them you're going to be moving to Washington, D.C. Tell them you have 27 handguns and ask them how to go about registering them. Believe me, the people there will just short circuit (because you're supposed to register one at a time and do it before you move. Or at least that's how it used to be.) When you call, become angry and ask them how in the hell you're supposed to register 27 handguns the way they want you to do it? You can really get carried away in the act (heh heh).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seriously , Maryland physically isn't like ID , OR, or MT ( yes, I have relatives there and know.) Even if your grandkids live at the worst geographic point halfway between Glen Burnie and Hanover , you are less than an hour from dropping in from a neighboring state . An hour is an average commute in Md . If they are not in that one small area of central Md , they are probably less than an half hour from a Border.

If you ( presumably ) are somewhere on the Conservative to Libertarian outlook on life , you will be treated like a Leper ( outside of a Md Shooters gathering , or an MSI meeting) . Gun owners are more closeted in Md than Drag Queen Hookers in Utah at an LDS picnic .

Added - Maryland political landscape is more totally dominated by Dems than any other state , including NY , Cali, Chicago , etc . And not just any Democrats , but the ones so far Left, they amaze other Democrats around the country.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Well said, Bigfoot44! You nailed it on the head. They not only amaze Democrats in other parts of the country, they embarrass Democrats in other parts of the country! When someone wants to give condoms to 11-year olds, that probably came from a Maryland liberal. If they think the Men-Boy Love Association is a civil rights group, they're probably from Maryland. They make communists look like charter members of the John Birch Society!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom