• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I legally be allowed to purchase 9mm ammo for my rifle at the age of 20?

• Total voters

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Sorry but the law is the law. Don't like it then work to change it.

You can't buy alcohol in Maryland either which is just a ridiculous imho.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    I have bought ammo from 4 different Walmarts in the past 6 months and have never been asked for my ID. I'm only 25 so I'm not that much older. This law is wierd.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It happens, newbie. That's why most stray away from these uneducated, liability weary box stores.

It's not just the big box stores.

I couple of years back, I was at a gun show in Westminster.

A young guy (20-ish) had just bought a Mosin Nagant, and wanted some 7.62x54R. The lady at White Marsh Arms wouldn't sell it to him.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

A young guy (20-ish) had just bought a Mosin Nagant, and wanted some 7.62x54R. The lady at White Marsh Arms wouldn't sell it to him.

he bought the mosin first? then trying to buy ammo at the same time?

there's one time i bought a handgun looooooong time ago and the shop will not sell ammo at the same time. his rules.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I had that happen with me buying .223 until I gave the lady a really really LONG speech about how there are bolt-action rifles that use .223 and there are AR-15's that are unregulated.

I think the selling point was the bolt-action rifles, because I think they may have even been selling them at the store.

Didn't they get rid of this law recently by the way?

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Let's actually look at the law on the books, shall we?

.28 Sales of Firearms or Ammunition to Minors.

A person may not sell, rent, or transfer:

A. Ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm to a person who is younger than 21 years old; or

B. A firearm, other than a regulated firearm, ammunition for a firearm, pepper mace, or other deadly weapon to a minor.

Wow. That is a horrendously vague law. About the only ammunition that I can think of that qualifies is 9mm Makarov. No joke. It doesn't say "commonly" designed for or "usually" designed for, it says "solely" designed for. Clearly, this law was not written by someone who knew anything about guns. WalMart's store policy seems to be to err on the side of caution, but it's not consistently applied. Some stores demand ID, some want to know if it's for a rifle or a pistol, and some just don't care.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Sorry but the law is the law. Don't like it then work to change it.

You can't buy alcohol in Maryland either which is just a ridiculous imho.

however you can buy homebrew equipment, ingredients and brew beer at 18.

you just cant drink it until you are 21.

Yes the law is the law and it makes complete sense :sad20:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Let's actually look at the law on the books, shall we?

Wow. That is a horrendously vague law. About the only ammunition that I can think of that qualifies is 9mm Makarov. No joke. It doesn't say "commonly" designed for or "usually" designed for, it says "solely" designed for. Clearly, this law was not written by someone who knew anything about guns. WalMart's store policy seems to be to err on the side of caution, but it's not consistently applied. Some stores demand ID, some want to know if it's for a rifle or a pistol, and some just don't care.
    + 1.

There should be another poll choice that says "You already are", based on the vagueness of the law and the availabilty of 9mm rifles.

Of course it is Walmart's right to deny the sale. :sad20:

Plinkey

Jan 25, 2011
    Baltimore City
    however you can buy homebrew equipment, ingredients and brew beer at 18.

you just cant drink it until you are 21.

Yes the law is the law and it makes complete sense :sad20:

My roommates and I did this in college before we were 21. We usually had about 10-15 gallons of ale brewing at any one time in our closets. We eventually got tired of bottling so we set up a tap system in an old fridge.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I think Walmart covering its ass over ammunition sales isn't much different than a Maryland FFL treating unregulated firearms like regulated firearms. I feel like Walmart should have sold the 9mm ammunition, but it's hard to bash them for following a poorly written law. We don't blame firearm dealers for covering their ass, and I don't think we should blame Walmart either. Let's face it, the media would eat Walmart alive if they sold a 20 year-old customer ammunition for a pistol. I'm not saying it's right, but I am saying we should be bashing the government for creating laws that lead to restricting a young person's access to ammunition that can legally own and shoot in a rifle.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    My roommates and I did this in college before we were 21. We usually had about 10-15 gallons of ale brewing at any one time in our closets. We eventually got tired of bottling so we set up a tap system in an old fridge.

very cool.

I just got into hombrewing last year.

Man I wish I had thought of it before i was 21

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I think Walmart covering its ass over ammunition sales isn't much different than a Maryland FFL treating unregulated firearms like regulated firearms. I feel like Walmart should have sold the 9mm ammunition, but it's hard to bash them for following a poorly written law. We don't blame firearm dealers for covering their ass, and I don't think we should blame Walmart either. Let's face it, the media would eat Walmart alive if they sold a 20 year-old customer ammunition for a pistol. I'm not saying it's right, but I am saying we should be bashing the government for creating laws that lead to restricting a young person's access to ammunition that can legally own and shoot in a rifle.

The law on the books isn't the problem. It's a stupid law, but every state has stupid laws. The problem is that the law is variously interpreted to create a bewildering variety of inconsistent store policies. In fact, it's been my experience that the policy doesn't even vary store by store: it varies based on the employee selling the ammo. If one of our IPs did something like this, we'd probably be gathering together to demand that he fire the employee who denied the sale.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

That is their store policy. It has nothing to do with a misinterpretation of the law.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    There could be a couple more polls and these would be my votes:

Could they have legally sold it to you: Yes
    Can they make a store policy not to: Yes
    If they have a policy, should it be consistent: Yes
    Does it have to be: No
    Does he have a right to complain: No, because he's 20 and I'm 47 and I wish I had those problems! :D

Welcome to the forum! These things are a pain in the ass, I felt like a goober getting walked to the cash register today at Dick's before they handed me the ammo. But things are getting better. As someone said above that Wal-Mart didn't used to sell ammo at all.

You'll be 21 soon enough, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom