• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So this is (was) the DNR info page on this.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2019/09/17/stocked-pheasant-hunts-held-in-six-counties-across-maryland

More extensive stocking than I understood from the first post. So one could hunt after the restricted hunt, as BigMan indicated.

Still think its wrong that lapsed hunters are given a priority over regular hunters.

As for pheasants in the wild, I took a pic of a pheasant I saw from the road on the eastern shore back in 2015. Several in that thread thought thought it was one that had made it off a game farm...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=172560

Don't pile on me for this, but I think DNR is right to encourage lapsed hunters to return to the field. They may be doing this to counteract the "Gunz R bad, m'kay" crowd. If so, kudos to them.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Better question might be , when's the last time you saw a pheasant in the wild here? Hope more than a few birds escape, maybe they could repopulate in the wild. Anybody (know) why the pheasant and grouse have disappeared? In 30 years of woods roaming and hunting in Maryland, I have seen ONE wild grouse in the mountains of Frederick County.

Sadly, they won't. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which has been the demise of small family farms. Lots of hedgerows and overgrowth seperating small tracts, and the much less efficient farming practices of yesteryear helped pheasants to thrive. Those realities no longer exist as they once did.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Pheasants love fallow fields. Fallow fields are hard to come by as land values have gone up so much.
    We moved onto 7 acres in NJ in 1969 and had all fallow fields and tons of pheasants.
    Fenced in the property, raised sheep and cattle, no more pheasants.
    Monkey and other counties should just let SOME fields go fallow in McKee, etc..
    No idea how to put a raised bird in there and have it last a week, it has no instinct. A shame.
    (Monkey, instead, has bought the NW corner of University and Viers Mill, Lindsay Ford, etc., and
    will build [I'm sure] 'high' income housing there.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom