• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Now I am digging this thread up to see what you got, DontTreadOnMe. I too would like to get the Vortex 27-60x85 HD Razor. I am looking for something for spotting out to 1000 yards for target shooting. I also would also like it for spotting 5.56 on paper as close as 100 yards if at all possible. Long range is my main objective. I am looking to keep the price under 2k. I am also looking for a good, sturdy tripod recommendation (not part of the 2k. I am seeing the vortex razor for 1570.00. That's a good chunk off of msrp. Suggestions anyone? :patriot:

I a Vortex Razor HD spotting scope and it is excellent; a 20-60X85. I have not used it for 1,000 yards. At 200 yards you can see 22 cal holes on black paper no problem. At 100 yards you can just leave it at 20X. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to spotting scopes.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I am just now digging this up again. I put a good spotting scope on hold. I am going for a good tripod right now instead. I appreciate all of the input here. I was torn between a pan head and ball head. I was sold on a ball head due to the simple fact that my cheap 3 way pan head takes a while to get on target. The ball head seems like it would put me where I want to be much faster and with greater ease. Then Antarctica chimes in with fluid pan head.

To throw another wrench in the works, I just got a pair of Vortex Diamondback 15x56 bumps that I would like to use on the same tripod. I have my eyes on A Vanguard Pro 2+ but stumped on the head. I see the Bento S2 pro head is recommended here by Atblis. The Manfrotto is another one that keeps popping up as mentioned by sundaeman.

I appreciate the info photo racer. that gives me more to research. I am going to take all of this into consideration and go from there. Thanks, all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom