• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Oh wise group, my son has gotten the Whitetail bug in a big way and I’m tired of sharing my Stryker with him. Looking to get him a crossbow for Christmas. He is ten and very competent but due to some early life health issues he is small for his age (75 lbs, 56”). I want to get him a compound crossbow that he can competently shoot now and that he will still be comfortable with when he is grown. He likes my Katana 360, but with Stryker getting out of the bow business I want to get him something with a warranty I don’t have to worry about.

I was leaning towards a ten point with the built in cocking mechanism that would be easy for him to cock on his own. My concern a are: weight/point ability with his current small stature. Looking for <$1000, ideally 750ish...

Advice welcome!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Parker and Barnett are where its at. My sub $500 Parker shoots as nice as a $1000 cross bow

Search budget cross bows on yout tube. There is a really good video discussing them ;)

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Pick one with an adjustable stock!!!! You will hunt with him for the next few years but then the crossbow won't be outsized on him when he's fifteen and a wants to hunt by himself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You have to look at Excalibur Cross Bows. They are what you're looking for. I always want to steer beginners towards vertical bows(way more fun to shoot and hunt with), but in the case of your son, that doesn't sound practical.

If I ever had to move to a cross bow, and I pray that day never comes, these would be my first choice.

:thumbsup:

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    You have to look at Excalibur Cross Bows. .....

:thumbsup:

I think he wants a compound style, Excalibur are mostly recurves unless they have new stuff.

You might want to consider picking up a used one in near new condition for now. And go shoot a few. Barnett is a love it or leave it brand, whereas Parker 10 point and wicked ridge seem to not have as many naysayers. Parker is in Virginia so somewhat local.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think he wants a compound style, Excalibur are mostly recurves unless they have new stuff.

You might want to consider picking up a used one in near new condition for now. And go shoot a few. Barnett is a love it or leave it brand, whereas Parker 10 point and wicked ridge seem to not have as many naysayers. Parker is in Virginia so somewhat local.
    There is virtually no difference between them. He wants a bow with low draw weight (12+ lbs), LOP adjustability, plus, these come with two stage target triggers, ambidextrous easy cranking. Merely a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Crossbow safety

Make sure it has some kind of safety or thumb block on it. One guy I knew had his thumb cut off by getting it up in the string path. I hunted for years with firearms , vertical bows and crossbows. In my opinion the crossbow was the one most likely to result in injury if attention wasn't fully paid to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom