• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    An arbor experts on here? I bought a bunch of hazelnut trees from the State nursery last spring. We planted a bunch on the farm we hunt and I planted ten in my back woods to add more of a food source. Two died from drought, two got stripped by deer and had to fence them off and just recently several are bit off and chewed on. I am assuming the latter is Rabbits as they can get through the 4x4 fence.

Is there a better way to grow these things, besides planting too many for them to eat them all?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Losing two to drought leads to an obvious solution. Perhaps poor soil, poor location or just not enough water. Easy fix. Tough to get everything to go as planned.

The two that were stripped and others that may be getting attacked by critters, same thing. Easy to see what the problem is. Fixing the problem with more fencing, more caution in warding off critters. Old time gardener told me he keeps a radio playing near his crops. Perhaps animals would get used to the noise? Then the usual scarecrow type devices: scarecrow, birds of prey, CDs and pie plates hanging to dazzle light and make noise...

Not an arborist but I like to keep up on these kinds of things. I plan to plant a bunch this coming year. Was your purchase from the state nursery smooth? Usually you need to buy in a large bulk, min is 25 trees? Of the 25, how did the rest go?

I think it is a numbers game. But I wouldn't plant 100 thinking for one second the deer would get tired and go away, leaving the others safe. They will just be back for breakfast the next day and dessert the day after that!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not by any means an expert here but I do have some experience in tree removal, cabling-pruning, stump removal etc. For planting trees I would consider soil content and possible change of grade. Also you have identified a problem area regarding how difficult it could be to keep saplings supplied with the suitable amount of water that they need to become established. One other consideration to explore is how much sunlight saplings need to not become scalded or then be deficient for the proper amount of direct light.

Some tree species also seem to do better when oriented near other varieties of trees that supplement them.

Monitoring problem areas such as the formation of girdling roots and the obvious pest/ wildlife damage is a bummer once you get something established.
    I would look into some of those plastic barricades that deteriorate from uv damage over a period of time, plant a few more than what you expect to survive and then use orange construction fence or wire to support and protect the saplings until they can mature some.

A local co-op extension or ag resource agent should be near you to help you figure the best way to go.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Ive grown many trees through the years. My advice is find a hardy tree that is local and thriving in the area. Crab apple? Oaks? Beech? Locust? It may not be the best in your eyes for the deer. But they will grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom