• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    I already have a 16 " m4 I made from an 80% lower, pre ban so I can do what I want with it, and I recently came into a gas block, stripped upper, and carbine length quad rail and decided to build another upper, but I'm having trouble deciding which direction to go, I was leaning 9mm but it seems it would cost a bit more than I'd like, anyone have any suggestions ?

klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    Yea I was surprised no one responded, I was thinking 300 because if I'm right I can use the mags and bcg I have for the 5.56, but they will share a lower, so it'd have to be 16", is there any reason to build a 16" 300blk?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I like 300 BLK. :innocent0

The big benefit is magazine, BCG, and lower overlap with 5.56. It's great in shorter barrels, so 16" would be a bit of a waste IMO. If you got a <16" upper, you could always keep the stock off when you have the short upper on making it a pistol. This assumes is started as a pistol, but since you made it from an 80%, who's to say it didn't.

IANAL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It doesn't do worse from a 16in, it just only has a minimal increase in velocity.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm looking into building another 5.56 but using a side reciprocating upper with bump fire stock. Just for a different look but still use same rounds and mags.

Are you interested in a different caliber or different look?

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a 16" Blackout upper and it shoots great. No complaints. Accuracy is good.

As far as I know the .300 Blackout only needs an 8" barrel or so to shoot properly but a longer barrel doesn't hurt it.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yeah that's my vote, 300 blklivesmatter.
    No offense meant ... That was a joke.

I was shooting suppressed in the dark last night @ 1 power and the flash through the scope made me wonder if the flash would be brighter at 4X ?? Considering the consequences I did not try it. ... Yet.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I'm looking into building another 5.56 but using a side reciprocating upper with bump fire stock. Just for a different look but still use same rounds and mags.

Are you interested in a different caliber or different look?

Just a question, why not use a non reciprocating side charging upper especially if you what the high cyclic rate of a bump fire?

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Just a question, why not use a non reciprocating side charging upper especially if you what the high cyclic rate of a bump fire?

Because when you've been up since 3:30am with a sick child you write reciprocating instead of side charging.

I would not use the reciprocating on that type. Could be a real nasty bite if any part of you gets near that.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD

Attachments

• AR-6_5%20II.jpg
      AR-6_5%20II.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 189

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Fair enough. have you looked into American Spirit Arms? I have one for my 6.5 creedmoor and really like it.
    http://www.americanspiritarms.com/upper-receivers/side-charger-upper-receiver-without-carrier/

No but I may look into them. I was only able to find this one in my searches, I can have them cerakote as well since I'm doing and FDE build. A lot of people were out of stock on these.

https://gibbzarms.com/product/g4-enlarged-ejection-port-side-charging-upper-receiver/

klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    I'm just trying to make something with the parts i have, either different caliber or look, but i have an upper so that kills the side charging upper, I may just build a 10.5 300blk, but I don't think I'd use it since the Ammo is so pricey

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Yea I was surprised no one responded, I was thinking 300 because if I'm right I can use the mags and bcg I have for the 5.56, but they will share a lower, so it'd have to be 16", is there any reason to build a 16" 300blk?

I like 300 BLK. :innocent0

The big benefit is magazine, BCG, and lower overlap with 5.56. It's great in shorter barrels, so 16" would be a bit of a waste IMO. If you got a <16" upper, you could always keep the stock off when you have the short upper on making it a pistol. This assumes is started as a pistol, but since you made it from an 80%, who's to say it didn't.

IANAL.
    I've alway heard that it's a bad idea to use the same BCG in multiple uppers.

Rob

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm just trying to make something with the parts i have, either different caliber or look, but i have an upper so that kills the side charging upper, I may just build a 10.5 300blk, but I don't think I'd use it since the Ammo is so pricey

Time to start reloading.

Supers are not badly priced. Subs get pricey. I can reload 220gr subs for close to the cost of commercial 5.56. <.25 cents a round.

klmo1990

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2014
    If only I had the equipment for all that lol I might build a 300 pistol upper and get a buffer cover for when I switch in on, since I originally made it a pistol before a rifle I can switch back and forth as long as it can't accept a stock easily right ?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    From left field how about Sharps 25-45? Way more knock down power than 223/556, @ 300 yds the 25-45 has 862 flbs of energy compared to the 223 494 flbs with a 20" barrel and it has way more range than 300 BLK video link shows it hitting steel @ 800 yds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfdm4dP6b-0

Yeah I really want it to go big. I think once my AR is built and I am thinking of another upper I may build one in .25-45 sharps and use that for deer. Then I can swap the BCG between them, reuse mags, etc like I can with .300 blackout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom