RRA LAR-15 Tactical CAR A4 xtension tube (buffer tube) Commercial Spec or Mil Spec si

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 Tactical CAR A4 (AR 1200).

I want to order a Magpul stock for it but they come in two sizes - commercial and Mil-Spec.

I don't know if the factory RRA receiver extension tube (buffer tube) is Commercial Spec or Mil Spec sized?

Does anyone know what RRA uses or is there a way to tell by looking at it?

I have emailed RRA Tech Support but I'd like to get it ordered this weekend and not have to wait for a answer from them.

Thanks in advance.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    A mil-spec receiver extension is 7.25" long from tip to tail, and has a 1.148" outside diameter. It also has a flat back (90º)

A "commercial" tube has a greater diameter, around 1.170". It has a slanted back (around 95º). Dimensions can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, as it is not a standard specification.

There are other differences, but the easiest way to tell is to measure the outside diameter and look at the back of the extension. If it's 1.148" and a flat back, it's mil-spec.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    A mil-spec receiver extension is 7.25" long from tip to tail, and has a 1.148" outside diameter. It also has a flat back (90º)

A "commercial" tube has a greater diameter, around 1.170". It has a slanted back (around 95º). Dimensions can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, as it is not a standard specification.

There are other differences, but the easiest way to tell is to measure the outside diameter and look at the back of the extension. If it's 1.148" and a flat back, it's mil-spec.

Gotcha - thanks - I also found several other guys that had the same question on AR15.com - its a commercial tube. Already ordered the Magpul stock.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another way to tell is usually a commercial tube will have an angled end where the milspec will be 'square'(90 degrees) to the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom